2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
gray41

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season

Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener 4m

Lauda: "We've never talked to Vettel about driving for us. There is no demand for new drivers at Mercedes." AMuS: http://ams.to/Kh
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

SectorOne

WilliamsF1 wrote:Do you think Ferrari would disclose to Alonso how much HP their new engine is making?
Would it really matter? I mean he´s seen first hand the difference between a merc powerunit and a Ferrari unit.
This season is gone, he knows it, and he also knows you can do quite significant changes to the powerunit post-season which may or may not bring Ferrari right up there.

From every interview i´ve read with Alonso it seems clear to me that Alonso wants to win world championships with Ferrari and Ferrari only.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

gray41 wrote:

Lauda: "We've never talked to Vettel about driving for us. There is no demand for new drivers at Mercedes." AMuS: http://ams.to/Kh
Obviously he's not going to say anything different is he?

Mercedes signed Hamilton because they needed someone who could win championships, and Nico Rosberg was still relatively unproven. Rosberg is now demonstrating that he can do just as good a job as Hamilton, so Hamilton's race seat is not as safe as it used to be. I would imagine an all German driver line-up would be quite desirable for the people in charge at Mercedes i.e. those above the racing team.

multisync
multisync

Diesel wrote:
gray41 wrote:

Mercedes signed Hamilton because they needed someone who could win championships, and Nico Rosberg was still relatively unproven. Rosberg is now demonstrating that he can do just as good a job as Hamilton, so Hamilton's race seat is not as safe as it used to be. I would imagine an all German driver line-up would be quite desirable for the people in charge at Mercedes i.e. those above the racing team.

I'd imagine they wouldn't consider an all German set up as desirable as it's too insular.

ScottB
ScottB

Diesel wrote:
gray41 wrote:

The turnout at the last Grand Prix doesn't suggest there's some great bounty to be had fielding an all German 'dream team' really. Plus Mercedes is a global brand. Hamilton is arguably the most well known driver out with the sports hardcore fan base, that's what the Marketers at Merc will be thinking of.

Hamilton and Rosberg together is clearly working, no reason to risk upsetting that apple cart by bringing in Vettel.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

ScottB wrote:
The turnout at the last Grand Prix doesn't suggest there's some great bounty to be had fielding an all German 'dream team' really. Plus Mercedes is a global brand. Hamilton is arguably the most well known driver out with the sports hardcore fan base, that's what the Marketers at Merc will be thinking of.

Hamilton and Rosberg together is clearly working, no reason to risk upsetting that apple cart by bringing in Vettel.
Maybe its working for Merc, but if Hamilton isn't WDC by the end of the season I can see Hamilton going back to McLaren. He's already mentioned how he prefers the way McLaren have one race strategist per driver, whereas Mercedes have 1 for both drivers, who always prioritises the lead driver.

PlatinumZealot

I think of it a little differently... It woukd be stupid of mercexes to think that Hamilton will surely stay for the long term and to sit by not talking to other drivers. For all we knowHamilton can win the next two championships and walk out on them. It is only common hat they keep talking to top drivers while they are a top team. Even macca was trying to bag vettel or kimi while they had hamilton and button.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

henra
henra

multisync wrote: I'd imagine they wouldn't consider an all German set up as desirable as it's too insular.
Indeed. You can take that as a given.
Mercedes is a global Company and they are particularly looking to expand their Business outside Germany. So a Non- German Driver is a plus from a Marketing perspective. For that reason alone I don't expect them to seriously go after Vettel.
On the other Hand I'm quite sure that a Team with such a dominant car will not allow the drivers to squeeze them out in negotiations. Wolf and particularly Lauda are both rather strong personalities (Not quite Ron Dennis but you get the drift).
So if Hamilton simply demands too much Money or in an inappropriate way (read massively involving the press) things could turn ugly, quickly.
So my perspective: He is safe as long as he doesn't do stupid things outside the track or in particular in negotiations.

iotar__

Diesel wrote: Maybe its working for Merc, but if Hamilton isn't WDC by the end of the season I can see Hamilton going back to McLaren. He's already mentioned how he prefers the way McLaren have one race strategist per driver, whereas Mercedes have 1 for both drivers, who always prioritises the lead driver.
So he'd leave better car/engine because of "one race strategist per driver"? I thought he was loving that in Barcelona and Bahrain when he was benefiting from it. Can you show me quotes that say how he didn't prefer better strategy there?

So basically he lost WDC in the easiest situation that won't repeat itself, one of the most dominant cars in history, equal treatment and you only need to beat your team-mate. He's afraid of a re-match and he's quitting to unknown car/engine because only there can he expect ultra preferential treatment. This does not make sense on any level. If it's up to him I could see him leaving only after winning WDC. Still makes little sense but much more than the other scenario.

MOWOG

Can't wait for Lewis to report to work at Woking, only to find the locker next to his has the name ALONSO stenciled on it! :o

Can you say "redux", boys and girls? :lol:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

CBeck113
CBeck113

That wouldn't be all too bad, actually, Bianci or Bottas with Kimi would be a pretty decent pairing to drive a duck around the track. Now, if they get around to building a competitive car, then they may miss Fred.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

marcush.
marcush.

I don´t know..but Rosberg is not really a personality to draw the crowds here in Germany .He sure is a competent pedaler but outside the car is no equal to his father ,or Stuck,Schumacher (Michael) ...Maybe ethis works for Mercedes in making the manufacturer the main attraction -but then who Needs lewis in that Scenario?
I imagine Daimler and Lauda thought Schumacher was past his best days but he could handle Rosberg on equal Terms -so with that logic Rosberg was not quite top material.. bring on Hamilton and see what the Boss caan bring to the table -and what is the result ? yes Lewis has some additional one lap Speed but Overall he is no better than Button or Schumacher or Rosberg ..
I think the same is now Happening at RedBull -Marko now wants to destabilise Vettel as a Money drain -clearly ricciardo is a match for Seb already -so why pay the extra Money for the 4 times champ when kvyat is already waiting ..

monsi
monsi

Everybody talks to everybody. Not necessarily directly, but why would anyone not ? Discussions, finding out the lie of the land, or a bit of judicious destabilisation, are a different thing from serious intent.

Mercedes have an extremely strong driver team right now, only recently assembled, so why would they want to change it? As well as their ability to drive successfully, they are both photogenic, interesting to the media, and they also access a very strong demographic range between them for the marketers - countries of origin, ethnicity, language etc. On a number of counts they seem to be in the ideal situation. So I don't see anything changing out of choice.

seahawk

The only reason Hamilton could leave MErc, is if he wants to. The Team order in Hungary was a step in that direction.

And I mean - imagine a McLaren-Honda with a yellow helmet in it. =D> =D>

SectorOne

CBeck113 wrote:When tehy closed Hamilton's deal they weren't in the position that they are in now. And by giving Nico 18mil/ year they are definitely making a statement to the second driver, whoever it may be.
Formula 1 mega-star Lewis Hamilton is pushing for a substantial pay-rise at Mercedes according to reports in German media.
The big ‘silly season’ report in Hungary last weekend was about Hamilton’s silver-coloured seat beyond the end of his 2015 contract.
The news followed hot on the heels of Nico Rosberg’s extended Mercedes deal, reportedly featuring a big pay-rise making his new three-year contract worth €55 million.
Bild reports that Hamilton and his management are now pushing for a new €90 million three year deal for 2016, 2017 and 2018.
Will be interesting to see how it goes. If the above turns out to be true, it´s a 15million increase in pay.
Just what you would expect since Rosberg probably got a similar raise.

Might as well pay out since they have two drivers that have known each other for so long, seems to be fairly close in setup work and is super competitive among themselves. Why mess up a package like that?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"