2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ringo

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season (yes this includes ALO and VET too!

Here is what i think:

1. Alsonso wants Kmag as teammate or some other weaker driver. His contract demands that Button not be at Mclaren.

2. Ron wants Alonso & Button, but Alonso is not having any of it, hence to prolonged talks.

3. Alonso says he wants Button as teammate is really just a mind game to cover his true desires.

4. Alonso doesn't care about constructors titles. He cares about himself and always will. He has no need for a competitive teammate.
For Sure!!

The Egg
The Egg

An interesting point that Ted kravitz raised on sky (not that I normally pay that much attention to him) was that button's result has effectively ensured McLaren's position in the championship and therefore has brought in more money for them. Would be churlish for McLaren to get rid of button and keep magnussen. Although I've casually followed McLaren since the hakkinnen/coulthard days, all this recent nonsense has put me right off them.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Alonso: I will join a project for more than one year that tries to challenge Mercedes.

Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

iotar__

ringo wrote:Here is what i think:

1. Alsonso wants Kmag as teammate or some other weaker driver. His contract demands that Button not be at Mclaren.

2. Ron wants Alonso & Button, but Alonso is not having any of it, hence to prolonged talks.

3. Alonso says he wants Button as teammate is really just a mind game to cover his true desires.

4. Alonso doesn't care about constructors titles. He cares about himself and always will. He has no need for a competitive teammate.
Is this out of the blue Alonso bashing thread and when will these alternative internet realities die out?
1. I've heard that he didn't want Raikkonen because he was afraid of him (as opposed to Massa) and look how it turned out. I'm sure he's trembling to be paired with Button. You should ask Ron Dennis, why he hired Magnussen, as you put it a "weaker" driver, way before Alonso signed a contract. They both are weak BTW.
2. No, Ron most certainly doesn't want Button, plenty of evidence for that.
3. What does it even mean that he doesn't care about constructor's championship and based on what? "I don't like him" doesn't count. As opposed to which noble unselfish drivers - those that cost McL championship or two?
4. So which driver is Alonso scared of more, it's not exactly clear from your post: Button, Magnussen or whichever is not hired as some sort of backwards open logic?
5 What makes to you think Alonso is choosing drivers at all? Although judging from examples of Alonso 2007, Kova, Perez, Magnussen or even current choices it wouldn't be a bad idea, same for coin toss or a lottery. Getting stuck on Vettel as some sort of supreme top driver against all current reality says it all.

lebesset
lebesset

aterren wrote:
lebesset wrote:McLarens shop say jenson is out ...they are selling off his team shirts .....but not Kmag's
Or no one want's a Kmag shirt... Or they bought too many shirts after the season opener.

Any way you slice it, I don't see how this tells us much.
don't follow your logic ....if nobody wanted Kmag shirts surely they would be the ones being sold off
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Alain Frost
Alain Frost

So, ultimately all that's left to be confirm is McLaren's driver duo and Hamilton's wages.

It would be a shame to see Jenson go (if he does) because I believe in 2015 there would only be three better drivers on the grid.

ringo

iotar__ wrote:
ringo wrote:Here is what i think:

Is this out of the blue Alonso bashing thread and when will these alternative internet realities die out?
1. I've heard that he didn't want Raikkonen because he was afraid of him (as opposed to Massa) and look how it turned out. I'm sure he's trembling to be paired with Button. You should ask Ron Dennis, why he hired Magnussen, as you put it a "weaker" driver, way before Alonso signed a contract. They both are weak BTW.
2. No, Ron most certainly doesn't want Button, plenty of evidence for that.
3. What does it even mean that he doesn't care about constructor's championship and based on what? "I don't like him" doesn't count. As opposed to which noble unselfish drivers - those that cost McL championship or two?
4. So which driver is Alonso scared of more, it's not exactly clear from your post: Button, Magnussen or whichever is not hired as some sort of backwards open logic?
5 What makes to you think Alonso is choosing drivers at all? Although judging from examples of Alonso 2007, Kova, Perez, Magnussen or even current choices it wouldn't be a bad idea, same for coin toss or a lottery. Getting stuck on Vettel as some sort of supreme top driver against all current reality says it all.
I am not an Alonso hater, i'm infact a Hamlonso fan. Nonetheless, that doesn't mean i'm going to ignore his personality. Alonso always plays numbers games. Even if he can beat Button with 3 wheels on the car, he still rather have his teammate as weak as possible. It simply improves his odds. No driver gets anything from having a good teammate from a per season perspective. He wants as much of the odds tilted towards him, and that means having a weak teammate.
I don't know where you get your evidence from on Ron's dislike of Button. I don't think Ron is Jenson's biggest fan, but Ron is not so blind as to ignore Jenson's effectiveness as a points scorer. Secondly Button is not as weak as Magnussen, and i say this not only about driving ability but also about political sway in the team.
Button will try his best to keep the team in his corner. Alonso will find it hard pulling the whole team behind him. A little young guy like Kevin is not experienced enough or respected enough to have that kind of inlfuence.
Alonso wants his teammate much weaker in every aspect of the sport.
Makes sense?
For Sure!!

aterren
aterren

lebesset wrote:don't follow your logic ....if nobody wanted Kmag shirts surely they would be the ones being sold off
Maybe we need to define "sold off". Do you mean sold at a discounted price or sold out, as in no supply left? I interpreted the phrase as the latter.

Andres125sx

ringo wrote:I am not an Alonso hater, i'm infact a Hamlonso fan. Nonetheless, that doesn't mean i'm going to ignore his personality. Alonso always plays numbers games. Even if he can beat Button with 3 wheels on the car, he still rather have his teammate as weak as possible. It simply improves his odds. No driver gets anything from having a good teammate from a per season perspective. He wants as much of the odds tilted towards him, and that means having a weak teammate.
I don't know where you get your evidence from on Ron's dislike of Button. I don't think Ron is Jenson's biggest fan, but Ron is not so blind as to ignore Jenson's effectiveness as a points scorer. Secondly Button is not as weak as Magnussen, and i say this not only about driving ability but also about political sway in the team.
Button will try his best to keep the team in his corner. Alonso will find it hard pulling the whole team behind him. A little young guy like Kevin is not experienced enough or respected enough to have that kind of inlfuence.
Alonso wants his teammate much weaker in every aspect of the sport.
Makes sense?
Yes, as any other driver

But he´s been on the same team as Lewis Hamilton, Kimi Raikonnen, Jarno Trulli, Jean Carlo Fisichella.... Can you point me to any other driver on the grid who has had such strong teammates?

And please don´t say Lewis was a rookie, anyone knew he was going to be a really strong contender, even myself, you just have to look at his GP2 seasson on 2006. Add to that Ron Dennis was paying Lewis career since he was 12 and you have to be really biased to do such a claim, Hamilton was going to be a really tough contender in every aspect of the sport as you said :wink:

No driver has had stronger teammates than Alonso

PS: massa does not count :mrgreen:

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

mentioned this video before, still funny :mrgreen:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Sasha
Sasha

What I'm hearing is Dennis and the other owners want different things.But the other owners hold the cards because they have the money and Honda's blessing.Dennis didn't find the funding to buy them out or a sponsor to pay the bills.Alonso would bring money to the team and Honda would pay his salary.

And Dennis doesn't want to go on gardening leave(back to Mclaren Auto).

The rumor is that Alonso's will not sign the contract unless Dennis doesn't have direct control of Mclaren Racing.

The other rumor is that Dennis is replaced on December 1.

SiLo

Pretty sure having Dennis back is better than getting Alonso. No amount of talent will win the championship if the man at the top doesn't know what he is doing. As proven with Martin Whitmarsh.
Felipe Baby!

AnthonyG

Sasha wrote:What I'm hearing is Dennis and the other owners want different things.But the other owners hold the cards because they have the money and Honda's blessing.Dennis didn't find the funding to buy them out or a sponsor to pay the bills.Alonso would bring money to the team and Honda would pay his salary.

And Dennis doesn't want to go on gardening leave(back to Mclaren Auto).

The rumor is that Alonso's will not sign the contract unless Dennis doesn't have direct control of Mclaren Racing.

The other rumor is that Dennis is replaced on December 1.
I heard Ron is resigning at McLaren and is going to become a circus director.

Sources?
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Sasha
Sasha

Just little hints after finishing a bottle of Yamazaki Single Malt Sherry Cask with people in the know.
They sure like good whiskey!