Teflon coating

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SectorOne

Teflon coating

Lovely picture!

-
Found the teflon coating, it´s quite visible.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Thunder

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Where is that Teflon visible ?

Silver and Green is Paint, Black is clearcoated CF.

Also as said by others before i'm sure it's just a finishing Product with Teflon in it.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

SectorOne

You can see the purple/grey on the edges of the front wing.
A very clear example is the right hand side, second element from the front. Not much green left there.
You can also see the hue everywhere else on the leading edges.

EDIT: here´s a better comparison,

Last edited by SectorOne on 07 Jul 2014, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Thunder

@SectorOne: I have to disagree with you on these Pictures.

It's just the combination of different Lighting and very different Picture Qualities.
I have tested a fair amount of high Quality Paint Sealants / Waxes over the Time and i would be absoultely shocked if one would change the Paint that much.
#aerogollum

SectorOne

Ok i´m not going to discuss what is blatantly obvious to see in the images.

Gaz.
Gaz.

Thunders wrote:@SectorOne: I have to disagree with you on these Pictures.

It's just the combination of different Lighting and very different Picture Qualities.
I have tested a fair amount of high Quality Paint Sealants / Waxes over the Time and i would be absoultely shocked if one would change the Paint that much.
Unless their teflon spray has a dye in it? We use teflon sprays for sliding clamps and it is completely clear but it isn't unreasonable to assume theirs is dyed- why it would be dyed is another question unless it's just a simple case of just having whatever was on the shelf at the time.
Forza Jules

WaikeCU

Gaz. wrote:
Thunders wrote:@SectorOne: I have to disagree with you on these Pictures.

Unless their teflon spray has a dye in it? We use teflon sprays for sliding clamps and it is completely clear but it isn't unreasonable to assume theirs is dyed- why it would be dyed is another question unless it's just a simple case of just having whatever was on the shelf at the time.
Maybe as an alternative for flo-vis?

Thunder

SectorOne wrote:Ok i´m not going to discuss what is blatantly obvious to see in the images.

Well that's up to you then i guess....

One Page before you mention Teflon would be a dark grey, now it would be blueish all of a sudden.....
You realize Teflon coatings can be absolutely clear too but at the same Time you can make it Pink if you wanted to? Since it's a Paint sealant none other than clear would make sense.

@WaikeCU: Teams already use different colors of FlowViz. 2 or 3 Years ago McLaren used 3 different Colors at the Same Time during Pre-Season Testing.
#aerogollum

SectorOne

Thunders wrote:One Page before you mention Teflon would be a dark grey, now it would be blueish all of a sudden.....
Does it really matter what i say? The color is right in front of your own eyes.

Let´s start with what Ted is saying.
SEE THIS STRANGE KIND OF PURPLE SPRAY ON IT?, well that is teflon spray, and that if they ever allow me to touch it which they wouldn´t, is very slippery. And they spray it on there to stop tire marbles from other cars getting lodged in the slot gap.

Thunder

I used this one Time on a Car one Time and it didn't turn Green....
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical_Gu ... 115_16.htm
#aerogollum

turbof1

I personally believe the color spectrum indicates a coating, but... .

SectorOne, the picture you referred to has the car standing in the garage but with the wing just on the edge of the daylight.

The second element has very thick and complex bended leading edge. Just like a crystal can break sunlight apart into it's colors, we might see somewhat a similar effect here. Emphasis on "might" and "somewhat", because it's difficult to tell on a picture which theory is true. Personally I believe you both are right, and the combination of the leading edge and the coating breaks the sunlight spectrum. The coating should be relative colorless.
#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

Let´s forget that Ted starts out with "can you see the purple coating"
After all he´s only watching the car in absolute perfect resolution and is about 1,5 meters away from the Mercedes boys.

Again, download the HD material, go watch for yourself, you can even see non painted carbon parts covered in this grey/blue/purple hue. Namely the flat piece between the elements and the endplate.

I won´t discuss this anymore, feel free to do so though. When everyone else starts realizing there´s a visible coating on it we can discuss whether it actually is teflon or something else as Phillip so kindly pointed out.

turbof1

I'm not going to vouch for either of you, but I do have my own theory about it.

First off, have you ever seen gasoline in water in broad daylight? The mixture breaks the sunlight into its color spectrum. It's because the gasoline top reflects light differently then the water underneath.

I believe the purple is the same: the coating is colorless, but due the bottom paint reflecting light differently, and perhaps also the shadows from the garage play in it, the color spectrum splits and that is causing the purple hue. Obviously Tedt would be seeing this too.

It is known that teams use these coats, no question about it that Mercedes has one.

EDIT: I feel this doesn't belong here and is worthy enough for its own topic. I'll split it off later on.
#AeroFrodo

Edax
Edax

turbof1 wrote:I'm not going to vouch for either of you, but I do have my own theory about it.

First off, have you ever seen gasoline in water in broad daylight? The mixture breaks the sunlight into its color spectrum. It's because the gasoline top reflects light differently then the water underneath.

I believe the purple is the same: the coating is colorless, but due the bottom paint reflecting light differently, and perhaps also the shadows from the garage play in it, the color spectrum splits and that is causing the purple hue. Obviously Tedt would be seeing this too.

It is known that teams use these coats, no question about it that Mercedes has one.

EDIT: I feel this doesn't belong here and is worthy enough for its own topic. I'll split it off later on.
The effect you're talking about is thin film interference. It is caused by a thin film with a different index of refraction. The film itself does not even have to be transparent, for instance pure carbon can do it. However these kind of effects only take place with very thin films, typically in the order of 10's of nanometers. Like the oil membrane you see on a puddle. Not something you can achieve with a spray can and some rubbing. A teflon-like coating you would normally not see this way.

Another effect could be small particles. For instance particle loaded paints can give some weird coloring effects especially when photographed.

Anyway, regardless of (the absence of) visual evidence, to me it sounds entirely plausible that they spray the car especially the leading edges of the aerodynamic devices with a fluoride coating. It helps quite a lot to prevent dirt/ rubber/ insects sticking, and messing with the aerodynamic function.

For a similar reason a lot of people spray their racing bike frames with PTFE (Well the hardcore racers do it to prevent having to carry a few grams of dirt around, I just do it because I'm quite lazy when it comes to cleaning after a ride)

turbof1

I made a cleansing in this filfthy tank of bickering/trolling. Keep it together people.
#AeroFrodo