If you thought F1 was dead today, just wait...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SectorOne

If you thought F1 was dead today, just wait...

From Racecar Engineering,
The test is the first step in a project to improve the look of Formula 1 cars which for the last two seasons have been widely criticised for being very ugly. As a result a project has been instigated which could fundamentally change the look of F1 cars. “Its pretty far reaching and we expect to see the manufacturers working with their concept car designers on what the cars should be in future, these wheels are just the first step” explained one insider.

It is thought the project, which has not been officially announced by the F1 Strategy Group, is in its early stages but could be a result of manufacturers wanting more brand identity in the cars similar to the NASCAR Generation 6 project.

The test of the larger rims and low profile tyres went smoothly though the car fitted with them was notably off the pace.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... -rim-test/
I just don´t get it. I really don´t.
I´m gonna start watching BOSS GP soon if this sh*t continues.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

AnthonyG

Re: If you thought F1 was dead today, just wait...

Well at least it shows that the fia (and fom) are aknowledging that F1 in it's current form has issues, but still lacking structure in solving...
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Cam

F1 has truly lost it's way.

“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Waywardism
Waywardism

This Generation 6 project in NASCAR, what was it exactly?

I did a quick Google search and didn't find any pages that quickly summed it up so I just looked at a few pictures and it seems like they've just made the cars look a bit more like road cars, surely that can't be the aim for a single-seat open-wheel formula...

Cam

Let’s compare ‘Road Relevance’ of the latest Mercedes C-Class Saloon to an F1 car - well, this is want they want isn’t it?

• Collision Prevention Assist Plus - NO
• Driving modes to suit your driving style - YES
• Central display and touchpad control - Yes
• Wipers are automatically switched on at the first drops of rain - NO
• High quality materials, carefully fitted throughout - YES
• Optional head-up display - NO
• High-performance headlamps - NO
• 18" AMG alloy wheels - NO, not yet
• Twin-pipe exhaust - NO
• Multi-function flat-bottomed steering wheel - YES
• Ambient lighting - NO
• Keyless-Go Comfort Package - YES
• Fully electrically adjustable front seats - NO
• Steering column and exterior mirrors with memory function - NO
• Panoramic glass sunroof to brighten up the cabin - NO
• Blind Spot Assist - NO
• Lane-Keeping Assist and Pre‑Safe anticipatory safety system - NO
• The AGILITY CONTROL suspension with selective damping system can automatically adjust to road conditions and driving style. Its selective damping system features dampers at each wheel, which constantly adjust between harder and softer absorption depending on the road conditions. - NO
• BAS Brake Assist - NO
• 6-speed manual (7G-Tronic Plus) - NO
• V6 Turbo - YES

Looking at this, an F1 car has basically nothing relevant to a road car. Although it's clear the path they are going - engine, tyres.. see it's a C Class!

Might as well be done with, bolt on cruise control, active suspension, 18" rims, canopy with wipers, headlights on the front etc... or you could just go buy a C Class and take that racing....
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

bhall II
bhall II

How does one increase the "brand identity" of a team whose parent's core products have absolutely nothing to do with racing, or even cars, for that matter?

:?:

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

non, non Fédération Intransigeant de l'Automobile: Fédération Incompétent de l'Automobile

Scalded_Ape
Scalded_Ape

AnthonyG

Cam wrote:Let’s compare ‘Road Relevance’ of the latest Mercedes C-Class Saloon to an F1 car - well, this is want they want isn’t it?

• Collision Prevention Assist Plus - NO
• Driving modes to suit your driving style - YES
• Central display and touchpad control - Yes
• Wipers are automatically switched on at the first drops of rain - NO
• High quality materials, carefully fitted throughout - YES
• Optional head-up display - NO
• High-performance headlamps - NO
• 18" AMG alloy wheels - NO, not yet
• Twin-pipe exhaust - NO
• Multi-function flat-bottomed steering wheel - YES
• Ambient lighting - NO
• Keyless-Go Comfort Package - YES
• Fully electrically adjustable front seats - NO
• Steering column and exterior mirrors with memory function - NO
• Panoramic glass sunroof to brighten up the cabin - NO
• Blind Spot Assist - NO
• The AGILITY CONTROL suspension with selective damping system can automatically adjust to road conditions and driving style. Its selective damping system features dampers at each wheel, which constantly adjust between harder and softer absorption depending on the road conditions. - NO
• BAS Brake Assist - NO
• 6-speed manual (7G-Tronic Plus) - NO
• V6 Turbo - YES

Looking at this, an F1 car has basically nothing relevant to a road car. Although it's clear the path they are going - engine, tyres.. see it's a C Class!

Might as well be done with, bolt on cruise control, active suspension, 18" rims, canopy with wipers, headlights on the front etc... or you could just go buy a C Class and take that racing....
The new C also has a double wishbone suspension setup.

On the other hand:
Vague/no feedback electrical steering NO
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

bhall II
bhall II

flyboy2160 wrote:non, non Fédération Intransigeant de l'Automobile: Fédération Incompétent de l'Automobile
As a Ferrari fan, I can deal with incompetence; you get used to it after a while. It's the FIA's obstinate refusal to learn that really pisses me off.

What's the saying, "The definition of insanity is doing same thing over and over again and expecting different results"?

That said, there's certainly no shortage of reasons to be displeased by the FIA's stewardship of F1.

Andres125sx

I like it!

SectorOne

This isn´t going to end well when you start bringing in concept designers to design F1 cars.
I can imagine that this new F1 car will have the front face similar to a car they sell on the road so idiots on TV can say "hey, that´s my car".

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

CBeck113
CBeck113

I'm gonna step in a defend the FiA (not Bernie's people though) here - that sentence alone is worth a downvote & a job offer ;-)

I don't believe that the FiA is stupid. I believe that the FiA suffers from horrible Project Management and lacks the marketing skills necessary to know what ist customers want (ITS customers, even when Bernie owns the marketing rights, they have a race series to manage) and find ways to give it to them/us. Why, well I tell you ...my opinion only:

The idea to get F1 cars to look more like street cars sounds ludicris, but, when done correctly, could mean the end of the reliance on aerodynamics as the major performance differenciator. Simplify the wings & diffusors, increase the minimum size of the floor, widen the noses, and you get what we've been wanting: the chance to loosen the specifications (no more motor freeze would also be doable) while letting the cars get safer (more car around the drivers) and more mechanical grip with the larger wheels and, since the cars will grow, wider tires =D> . The cars, because they are safer, can also be allowed to be faster too. This would be great, but...we know how this goes.

They want to eliminate the ugly things that are being developed today, which isn't such a bad idea. Their track record, however, Shows that they can also ruin this plan by restricting on the wrong side and leaving too much leeway on the other. I can only hope that they are getting outside help from a qualified technical marketing company...and if not I'll be on Kickstart soon, so if anyone wants to help & split the bill... :mrgreen:
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

knabbel

Cam wrote:Let’s compare ‘Road Relevance’ of the latest Mercedes C-Class Saloon to an F1 car - well, this is want they want isn’t it?

That one would be quite handy for Maldonado!

WaikeCU

The FIA is an international organization... or it should be. The FIA stands for Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. It's French. The FIA is headquartered in Paris, a French city. Its president is Jean Todt. He's French.

Well, it sounds very international indeed.

I'm not going to generalize the French, but they tend to be chauvinistic. This has an effect on the FIA as an organization. I think that because they are chauvinistic, they think that the ideas they have on how to improve F1, must be taken immediately to effect. Whether they are positive or not to the viewers, the teams or drivers.

For instance out of sudden:
- Potential ban on FRIC
- Potential restrictions on hybrid power
- Potential 2015 larger tyres and rims
Last edited by WaikeCU on 10 Jul 2014, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.