The quickest F1 car ever built

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: The quickest F1 car ever built

My specs would be like this:

Red Bull RB9 chassis
Renault RS25 engine (1100hp)
Mercedes PU106A Hybrid Systems (200hp)
Bridgestone 2010 slick tyres
Exhaust Blown Diffuser
Double Deck Diffuser
Active Suspension
Various other aerodynamic ducts and deformations
Active two way electronics so that engineers can change maps for the driver.
Weight at 705Kg

Target Lap for Monza: 1:10.000
Target Lap for Spa: 1:32.500
Target Lap for Monaco: 1:08.700
Target Lap for Red Bull Ring: 54:350

Anything that develops about 7.5 to 8 tons of downforce and not the present leading at 3.5 to 3.7 tons of downforce.

However, the car would either have to be driverless or have the driver in a G Suit as Au Rouge would be taken at 340kmh flat, and at the speed trap at Monza you would be pushing 450kmh with all that horsepower and drag being dumped from aero devices. Breaking for Paribolica would only be about 35m in total as Aero would be powerful enough to almost flat line that corner.

The budget for one car would be at about €400m. The present budget for Ferrari for a single years racing in F1.

SectorOne

Just_a_fan wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Eventually you will hit a ceiling for what a human being can handle. Then even if that was no problem you would run into the problem where the driver´s brain is too slow for the car itself.
The tyres govern the absolute performance of a car. I think we'd find the tyres gave up before the driver did.
Yes tires is what ultimately connects the car to the ground but every tire you have see so far has been locked in regulations and determined by things like the show and how long they will last.

I doubt we are anywhere near the limit of tires when it comes to F1. I think you can definitely build tires capable of pulling 10g´s in corners and ridiculous braking distances if there´s a no holds barred situation.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

George-Jung
George-Jung

Red Bull X2014

Pieoter
Pieoter

IIRC Indy cars got pulled for high bank ovals because the G-Forces were causing issues for the drivers.

flynfrog

Pieoter wrote:IIRC Indy cars got pulled for high bank ovals because the G-Forces were causing issues for the drivers.
that was champ car

flynfrog

how fast of a real lap has it turned it was nothing more than a grand turismo car will all of the settings at eleven

beelsebob
beelsebob

Note, the comments about g forces are actually incorrect. The human body can't take much more than 7g vertically. Laterally it can take quite a lot more (35g ish). Longitudinally, there's no known limit other than the point at which your rib cage collapses.

Chaos
Chaos

Wow ! Thanks for all the responses ! Theoretically, you could take almost 30 seconds off a circuit like Silverstone. I must say, the Red Bull " mock up " looks fantastic.

Cam

One would imagine that the F1 team simulators would be of enough quality whereby they could input virtually any setting and turn a lap for a result. Rather than talking exponentially theoretical (which is nice as well), we can probably get some pretty good data on this.

Would one of the nice F1 team lurkers, please do us all a solid, and punch some numbers in and give us an answer? I'm happy to sit in the seat and drive if you can't find anyone to help :D
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

andylaurence

If you want to work out lap times, simulate away! You can get the input data you need from a Google session.

FW17

flynfrog wrote:
Pieoter wrote:IIRC Indy cars got pulled for high bank ovals because the G-Forces were causing issues for the drivers.
that was champ car

The reason for that was the corners were long and straights were short. The brain did not have enough time to recoup on the straight which was also banked.

TMS still holds IRL races.

SectorOne

I think the real issue is the banking itself. Because it moves the G-force direction from horizontal to a more vertical one which in turn causes problems with getting blood up to the brain.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

George-Jung
George-Jung

flynfrog wrote:
how fast of a real lap has it turned it was nothing more than a grand turismo car will all of the settings at eleven
Does that all of a sudden matter?

Because:
machin wrote:Below is a simulated speed trace for the Silverstone GP circuit for a car with the following parameters:-

650kg total weight (car+driver+1 lap fuel)
Engine Power: 2000 bhp
Cd.A = 1.05m^2

The cornering G's for each corner has been set at 10G (whether or not this is humanly possible I will leave to others to decide!)

The lap time is 66 seconds.....

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k248/ ... a95a57.jpg

I've pulled +5g vertical in a stunt plane... it was pretty unpleasant... but -3g vertical was worse.... I can't imagine what 10g lateral would be like.... :?
This is also not a real car..? :roll:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

If you wanted to build the quickest car you would do something like a highly evolved Group C car - large plan form to create lots of lap-time reducing downforce. The XJR-14, for example, could produce 3.5 tonnes of downforce in IMSA trim. If drag wasn't an issue they could have got over 4.5 tonnes of downforce although with a limited top speed becuase of the drag. That was in the early 1990s under the limited rules of the time. I bet using modern techniques they'd have got even more downforce. Add in active suspension and unlimited active aero and I wouldn't be surprised to see nearly double that figure - and an unlimited engine would give the power needed to deal with the drag.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/JaguarXJR-14-2.html
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mrluke
mrluke

Couldn't you get the cockpit to tilt under high G loads so it would all be vertical, then you could have a fighter pilot G suit.