Briatore to work on F1's popularity!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
oT v1
oT v1

Re: Briatore to work on F1's popularity!

As a 24yr old internet savvy consumer, i'd still rather sit down infront of a big HDTV with SkySportsF1/BBCHD than take it on the go on my iPhone, listening on some sub-par speakers (and people complain even now about the sound with their dolby 5.1 lol).

As well as the sound, it would cut!! maybe not as much as most online content (if they really went about doing it properly) but still, one lag during a bahrain style battle for the lead will be extremely annoying. Being an online broadcast you'd be unlikely to be able to pause/rewind like on Sky. Broadcasting live on the internet could end messy with the quality of most of the UK's broadband (and i'm guessing a few other countries outside of continental europe).

Yes, there needs to be an online option to get more people involved and bring in some new $$$ from new sponsors, but it must compliment TV coverage. None of you old guys will stop watching TV live, just because there is a free online stream for poor students like me! (Unlike music) Its completely different from the music industry problem you have discussed because you cant download the season before its aired.....
The Power of Dreams

monsi
monsi

Internet speeds are getting pretty good in the UK. I live in a small village 15 miles from a city, albeit one where BT has installed their new fibre technology. I measured my broadband download speed at 38Mbps this morning. HD ? no problem. 4K ? bring it on.

SectorOne

The world average speed is 3.8mbit/s according to Wikipedia.
I know people with less then that, that has no problems watching online streams.

If you sit with a 6mbit/s line and can´t watch streams then you should probably see if you actually have 6mbit/s.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

zeph
zeph

The arguments against live-streaming over the internet does not hold, imo. Of course there are places where bandwidth is restrictive, but it's only a matter of time.

The biggest argument in favor already exist in the form of mlb.tv in the USA. I don't like baseball, but coincidentally I read this article two days ago:

http://qz.com/241250/the-best-argument- ... -baseball/

See, you need leaders who understand these things and hire people who can do the job right. It is an entirely feasible business proposition, as mlb.tv shows, and it actually gives te sports' owners more control.

iotar__

About Buxton's article, linked above
Can't you see that he is just repeating the same prepared lines you heard in free practice from Sky pundits before a single lap of racing in 2014 occurred? Torque will make cars hard to handle and create exciting racing mantra. No, not really, I didn't notice that.

Tyre differences and driver handling them created some excitement in Canada, influenced Austria, faster cars starting behind on several occasions and under-performing (Williams, RB). Merc letting their drivers sort of race - Barcelona, same but with SC and faster driver losing start - in Bahrain, Merc letting their drivers race - in Canada, driver making a difference (Alonso, Perez) several times, rain and SCs in Hungary, . Not torque or new engines. Bahrain where weaker engines were eaten alive is not a positive influence BTW but pathology. Other problems already mentioned are still there so I find these prepared and repeated no matter what happens in reality opinions of little value, that's all.

Gaz.
Gaz.

SectorOne wrote:The world average speed is 3.8mbit/s according to Wikipedia.
I know people with less then that, that has no problems watching online streams.

If you sit with a 6mbit/s line and can´t watch streams then you should probably see if you actually have 6mbit/s.
Just did several speed checks.

With just an email window, Pistonheads & F1technical forums open = 4.96mb/s
PH/F1T/email + Facebook = 4.51mb/s
PH/F1T/email/Facebook + Blatters = 4.40mb/s
PH/F1T/email/Facebook/Blatters + internet radio = 3.96mb/s
SkyGo- SkySportsF1 HD only, everything else closed = 2.85mb/s

No internet provider have any plans to upgrade our copper wires. Believe me I'd love to lose this horrible dish.
Forza Jules

zenji
zenji

The 60's cars had nervousness of a motorcycle, and similar fatalities.
To see a driver finesse an absolute bear trap of a vehicle is, or was f1.
Drivers grappling with either over power or under grip is the recipe, who can fathom the excitement of a driver playing with knobs on a steering wheel?

SectorOne

zenji wrote:Drivers grappling with either over power or under grip is the recipe,
Which is exactly what we see this year.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"