why does it matter what type of formula it is?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dans79

why does it matter what type of formula it is?

I have seen news stories like this all season, and I have to ask why it's such a big deal that performance is more dependent on engines this year compared to the last several.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115339
197 104 103 7

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: why does it matter what type of formula it is?

Fundamentally it doesn't... though perhaps it would be ideal if there was a bit more parity with one team stronger in engine, another with aero, etc.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

dans79

Jersey Tom wrote:Fundamentally it doesn't... though perhaps it would be ideal if there was a bit more parity with one team stronger in engine, another with aero, etc.
I agree, but I can't see that happening any time soon.
197 104 103 7

f1316
f1316

I don't think it matters. However what does matter is having the primary performance differentiator - and thus a large part of the competitive order - frozen all season.

They'll find a way to spend the money one way or the other, but it's detrimental to the show to let cost cutting stymie competition.