Max Verstappen will be F1 driver with 17

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NTS
NTS

Re: Max Verstappen will be F1 driver with 17

WilliamsF1 wrote:No more Ferrari engines, so took an RB8 re-stickered it as the cheapest alternative. must have cost them a few 100 pounds for the entire work.
Ah they returned the engines to Ferrari after their contract ended? So there are no old working Toro Rosso cars left?

FW17

Race engines are never property of the team, even works teams. The access to the engines are very limited to the team, the engine guys handle the engines themselves.

Post contract period the show cars generally have dummy engines road show cars have different engines sometime the red bull were using it with cosworth

Red Bull road show car from 2009;
This car was raced at the end of 2006, but when it was converted to a show car we added bits of RB1, RB2, RB3 and RB4!

The gearbox and back end is off the RB1, the chassis is RB2, some of the bodywork is RB3, it’s a mix and match.
We started when the RB3 was being raced in F1, but we couldn’t have a current car, so we used an RB2 and then we made it look like an RB3. Then RB4 came, and we took bits off RB3 to make it look like RB4

DisaterX

It's good in respect that there is some very young blood coming into the sport, but it's also bad as it completely destroys the hierarchy leading up to Formula One. But there is no way it can be fixed as many drivers come from many backgrounds. Montoya came from Indy Car, whilst Damon Hill came from motorbikes. People need to just accept it rather than moan about it.
And suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension. Ayrton Senna

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

It is going to be a image disaster for F1. He is schoolboy age. How can F1 be marketed to the man in the street as a he-man sport if a schoolboy can do it? The team sponsors have a marketing event for their important clients & a schoolboy pitches as the chief attraction. Sponsors will have second thoughts. What happens if he does well?

NTS
NTS

Oops:
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=o9QUdy4GxzA[/youtube]

Could happen to anybody, but the combination shows he may have been a bit nervous. Maybe he's human after all :)

FrukostScones

different angle:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYlBeawGn6s[/youtube]

the next MAL in the making?

this vid reminds me a bit of youtube vids where people trying to burnout or do donut on parkinglots and end up understeering in some obstacle...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

NTS
NTS

FrukostScones wrote:the next MAL in the making?
Not really, this guy is a great racer, just without any experience in an F1 car.

You have to keep in mind that last year he was still in karting. Signed with Toro Rosso two weeks ago and the only training he had before this demo event was less than an hour of straight line driving. Whether it was a good idea to ask him to do donuts in a small space without any experience in the car is another question...

Andres125sx

NTS wrote:just without any experience in an F1 car.

You have to keep in mind that last year he was still in karting
And next year he will be in F1...

This video proves he´s so young he has never done some simple donnuts, imagine how many things he has to learn yet

I wouldn´t be happy with a child at my side/back on a F1 grid. I can´t remind who was, it was a former F1 driver, who said with that age you still have a lot to learn, and F1 is not the place to learn.

If F1 now works as a driving school, then it´s definitely done

Miguel
Miguel

WilliamsF1 wrote:in at 17 out at 19, starring a verstappen, a story by marko, directed by tost, produced by mateschitz
From the directors & producers of Alguersuari: Diaries of an F1 DJ.

Summer of 2009: the youngest ever winner of British F3 gets a chance at Toro Rosso, supplanting shoulda-been-great Sebastien Bourdais.
Spring 2010: Youngest ever points scorer
Summer 2011: Supposedly oral confirmation for 2012, drops Saubert talks
Fall 2011: Dares delay Sebastian Vettel during Saturday practice in Korea, and discusses with Marko. Dropped out of 2012. Motorsports career over at under 22.

It's true that Alguersuari never was the fastest learner, and didn't seem the fastest ever driver. We should now remember that during 2012 many people were wondering what was the difference between JEV/Ricciardo and Alguersuari/Buemi. However, I find it very sad being essentially finished at age 22. Even if you achieved more than most racing drivers never will.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

MOWOG

Nice post, Miguel. =D>

If you think about it, there have been a bunch of fairly young drivers (though not as young as Max V) who had their chance in Formula One and are now doing LeMans or DTM or delivering pizzas. Scott Speed, Alguesuari, Buemi, De la Rosa, Verne, J. Villeneuve and a lot more whose names I have forgotten.

The sport chews them up and spits them out at a furious pace. Each one was touted as the next WDC waiting to happen. So much of it is down to team politics and who can bring sponsorship money with him. The cars are such that the driver is now pretty much just a "plug in" component of the total package, as replaceable as steering wheel or front wing.

As Heidi Klum once said: One day you're in. The next day you're out."

My judgement on young Max? We'll see......... :?
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

andylaurence

MOWOG wrote:Nice post, Miguel. =D>

If you think about it, there have been a bunch of fairly young drivers (though not as young as Max V) who had their chance in Formula One and are now doing LeMans or DTM or delivering pizzas. Scott Speed, Alguesuari, Buemi, De la Rosa, Verne, J. Villeneuve and a lot more whose names I have forgotten.
I assume you mean other people when you type de la Rosa and Villeneuve. de la Rosa is in his mid-40s and was in his late 20s when he started in F1 after 10 years racing cars. Villeneuve is a similar age and was the reigning CART champion when he moved to F1 after nearly 10 years racing cars. He's also been competing at international level for 20 years, so I'd say he's been pretty successful! Isn't he doing NASCAR or IndyCar these days?

MOWOG

Well, you see? Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most. :oops: Obviously I do not have the encyclopedic recall of F1 drivers and ages I need to make my point clear. I only meant to say that a lot of young, talented drivers have come into the sport over the past decade and all of them were touted as the next coming of Senna.

Some of them, like Kimi and Seb, have actually lived up to their promise, but the majority have sunk beneath the waves without a ripple, unremembered and unlamented. That some have gone on to success in other racing series only bolsters my point about how hard it is to rise in Formula One even IF you have real talent.

Btw, I think you are thinking of JP Montoya in IndyCar, not Villeneuve. Jacques, so far as I recall, dropped from prominence almost as soon as Sir Frank thanked him for his services and pushed him out the door after winning the WDC. Mostly what he does today is play at being an F1 pundit, as if anyone really cares what he has to say. :roll:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

FW17

Wonder if the young one will ruin races as well.........

With regard to Alguersuari, thank god he finally realized there is racing outside of F1 too after moping around for 3 years

andylaurence

MOWOG wrote:Some of them, like Kimi and Seb, have actually lived up to their promise, but the majority have sunk beneath the waves without a ripple, unremembered and unlamented. That some have gone on to success in other racing series only bolsters my point about how hard it is to rise in Formula One even IF you have real talent.
Isn't it a case of not many drivers make it at all? Look at the current world champions on the grid and ask yourself how young they were when they started...

Sebastien Vettel, aged 20.
Jenson Button, aged 20.
Lewis Hamilton, aged 22.
Kimi Raikkonen, aged 21.
Fernando Alonso, aged 19.

It seems that, statistically speaking, you need to start young to be a world champion. It also seems that if you're past your 23rd birthday on your debut, you won't be a champion. Ironically enough for this thread, Villeneuve was the last person to debut after his 23rd birthday and still become a world champion. That was 18 years ago...
MOWOG wrote:Btw, I think you are thinking of JP Montoya in IndyCar, not Villeneuve. Jacques, so far as I recall, dropped from prominence almost as soon as Sir Frank thanked him for his services and pushed him out the door after winning the WDC. Mostly what he does today is play at being an F1 pundit, as if anyone really cares what he has to say. :roll:
No, I mean Villeneuve.

langwadt
langwadt

tok-tokkie wrote:It is going to be a image disaster for F1. He is schoolboy age. How can F1 be marketed to the man in the street as a he-man sport if a schoolboy can do it? The team sponsors have a marketing event for their important clients & a schoolboy pitches as the chief attraction. Sponsors will have second thoughts. What happens if he does well?
if he does bad it'll be his career down the drain, if he succeeds F1 will be seen as a joke where any kids who has driven a gocart can just jump in