Tyres question

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jknights
jknights

Tyres question

We have seen time and time again in the last few seasons how fragile the Pirelli tyres are when touched by a front wing or some other section of car.
If a rear tyre deflates this usually results in a huge loss of time while the driver drives back to the pits with the associated tyre debris being thrown all over the track on some occasions.
In addition on many occasions the tyre debris damage the underside of the car requiring it to be retired.

A few questions:
1. Why dont they make the tyre sidewalls thicker.
2. Why dont they put a compound in the tyre that acts like the repair sealing compounds in modern cars in the event of a small puncture so that the car can be driven back to the pits without further damage to the car.
3. In such a high tech sport surely they must be able to find a solution that is even better than those above.

FW17

Re: Tyres question

Or use run flat tyre? Are the banned? Can runflats be run at 200kmph?

luke!
luke!

jknights wrote: A few questions:
1. Why dont they make the tyre sidewalls thicker.
2. Why dont they put a compound in the tyre that acts like the repair sealing compounds in modern cars in the event of a small puncture so that the car can be driven back to the pits without further damage to the car.
3. In such a high tech sport surely they must be able to find a solution that is even better than those above.
I think that the solutions above would affect the tyre performance, it seems to me that the cons are more than the pros. In my opinion the "touches" are not so frequent as to justify the introduction of those innovations.
WilliamsF1 wrote:Or use run flat tyre? Are the banned?
Using run flat tyres would mean to have stiffer sidewalls, it would require softer suspension, I guess.
WilliamsF1 wrote: Can runflats be run at 200kmph?
As far as I know, yes. The Bridgestone POTENZA S001, for example, has a Y (up to 300 km/h) as speed rating.

mrluke
mrluke

The tyres are a spec part, nobody is allowed to experiment with new ideas. The FIA tell pirelli what they want and pirelli make it.

PS thicker sidewalls would not have influenced the spa incident as rosberg punctured the middle of hamilton's tyre.

strad

All those would add unsprung weight
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FW17

strad wrote:All those would add unsprung weight

How much will a inner rim of carbon fiber weigh?

strad

More than a Pirelli you can wad up in your hand. :wink:
Unsprung weight, wheels and tires is measured in ounces
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

langwadt
langwadt

WilliamsF1 wrote:
strad wrote:All those would add unsprung weight

How much will a inner rim of carbon fiber weigh?

more than nothing and why be even a fraction slower 99% of the time just so you can be slightly faster the 1% of the time
where you have a puncture and isn't going to win anyway

Tim.Wright

the problem isn't the weight. Its the fact that run-flats are not "race-flats". You can drive on them slowly but you can't maneuver on the limit like you could with an inflated tyre. So even with these tyres, if you get a flat your race is practically destroyed because you can't maintain race pace.
Not the engineer at Force India

Miguel
Miguel

strad wrote:More than a Pirelli you can wad up in your hand. :wink:
Unsprung weight, wheels and tires is measured in ounces
Very, very, OT: I've heard astrohysicists tend to use the cgs system a lot. That is, centimeters, grams and seconds for stuff that happens over millions of km, on masses well over trillions (european) of kg and in over a million years. Why they don't stick to SI, I don't know, I'm not one of them.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

jknights
jknights

WilliamsF1 wrote:Or use run flat tyre? Are the banned? Can runflats be run at 200kmph?

http://www.n-mav.com/wp-content/uploads ... ews-17.jpg
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/200 ... -tires.jpg
Nice design.
Maybe this could be sold to motor manufacturers as another way to increase their profits (as if they werent big enough already). That way they can charge you even more for a car as it has 8 wheels. :-)

FrukostScones

they already made the front wing "thicker" to reduce punturing by the front wing... was it in 2009 or 2010?
only "runflat tyres" in autosports I know were those mousse tyres used in the WRC...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.