Is Alonso this fast or Räikkönen that slow?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Phil

Re: Is Alonso this fast or Räikkönen that slow?

They are just numbers. And I think the size of the numbers are simply a means to illustrate the point better. I don't think the point was to argue the merit if the 80-87% are the correct numbers, but rather the general point. You're effectively arguing semantics. You're probably right that the range is not very accurate (as I said, it's clear they weren't supposed to be anything scientific), but it doesn't really change the overal point and argument - that being, that a car might pose the absolute limit on what is possible, but a driver might make enough of a difference to outclass another driver of a different (quicker) car. I think we had a similar topic covering these angles somewhere else not too long ago...

Anyway - I don't have a problem in using arbitrary numbers to highlight a specific point. Sometimes, it's the only way to explain a reasonable argument, and personally, I don't think what Manoah2u is suggesting to be that unreasonable. I might not agree with the exact numbers or difference (as I believe neither do you), but the overal point, I think is reasonable.

I certainly don't believe Senna could get 100% out of his car though. That to me, is a certain impossibility - because he raced during a time when cars were even more difficult to drive. More difficult = harder to reach the cars full potential - but at the same time, it would give any talented driver the opportunity to outshine other drivers by a higher margin. Exactly as Senna did, which is why he is still seen by many as the greatest of all time. And I think by the same logic, the same people rate Alonso as one of the best of this generation; Because he found himself driving in more difficult cars and is (therefore) outshining his team-mates by a higher factor which makes it seem a higher accomplishment relative to others. To some degree, I agree with this; It shows the class of Alonso and his talent - but by the same logic, I do think that the praise he sometimes gets is a bit exagerated, because he makes the car look worse than it perhaps is or is being messured with team-mates who are punching way below their weight.

It's hard to gauge how good he is, because quite frankly, you would have to pit him with a team-mate that isn't struggling. We can say with some certainty that he drove better than Massa and than Raikoennen currently, but it's difficult to assess how much he is getting out of his cars relative to the theoretical maximum. Then again; the fact that he keeps performing in pretty much any car you give him, simply shows the scope of his talent, which is undisputable.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Richard
Richard

JimClarkFan wrote:Why not just consider lap times between team mates. Much easier and simpler, and more accurate. I realise this is just an analogy but the notion that any driver on the grid is even 5% better than another driver is absurd.
What if the talent required for that extra speed isn't linear? There's probably a law of diminishing returns at play so that extra 3% might require oodles more talent for all we know.

The % are merely figurative. Talent is on an undefinable scale, although its safe to say that some people are more talented than others. For the sake of this conversation the arbitrary numbers 80 and 100 have been chosen. It could equally have been a scale of 1 to 5 where the top driver is graded 5 and the next level is graded 4. Or perhaps the top driver should be 1? Or maybe we should A to E? It's just an arbitrary way to say one thing is bigger than another.

That's why I talk about oodles of talent versus mere mortals, it's suitably indeterminate!

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Richard wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:Why not just consider lap times between team mates. Much easier and simpler, and more accurate. I realise this is just an analogy but the notion that any driver on the grid is even 5% better than another driver is absurd.
What if the talent required for that extra speed isn't linear? There's probably a law of diminishing returns at play so that extra 3% might require oodles more talent for all we know.

The % are merely figurative. Talent is on an undefinable scale, although its safe to say that some people are more talented than others. For the sake of this conversation the arbitrary numbers 80 and 100 have been chosen. It could equally have been a scale of 1 to 5 where the top driver is graded 5 and the next level is graded 4. Or perhaps the top driver should be 1? Or maybe we should A to E? It's just an arbitrary way to say one thing is bigger than another.

That's why I talk about oodles of talent versus mere mortals, it's suitably indeterminate!
I don't doubt that, but why isn't saying that one driver is more talented than another enough? I would agree that it is likely that there is a diminishing return on talent.

But it is precisely because talent is unquantifiable in any meaningful way that makes it pointless to apply numbers in the manner we have.

Andres125sx

In my case (I also posted some percentages) I was just trying to explain my point of view about the usual "he´s outperforming his car" statement. As explained IMHO it´s not accurate, but fair

Nobody outperform his car, but if a driver is getting a significant percentage more than his rivals, he could beat a faster car, so he´s not outperforming his car capabilities, but he´s outperforming the position the car would finish if all drivers were robots with same talent. So in some way he´s actually outperforming his car, or making his car finish higher than it should if you prefer

The percentages are obviously invented, but I think we both were just trying to explain the same with percentages to make it easier to understand