Jules Bianchi recovery - Japan 2014

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
emaren
emaren

Re: Jules Bianchi recovery - Japan 2014

BTS wrote:Sir Stirling Moss had DAI and eventually carried on racing. I don't want to be over optimistic, but I just want to believe he will be ok.
I saw Stirling Moss racing at Mallory park in 1980 when he was competing in an the British Touring car series, he was driving an Audi 80. If I remember correctly (unlikely) he spun off at least once and was barely competitive.

turbof1

I think first of all and foremost that recovering to a point to having a normal life is top priority. Anything about racing again should be kept aside completely for now.
#AeroFrodo

Richard
Richard

emaren wrote:
BTS wrote:Sir Stirling Moss had DAI and eventually carried on racing. I don't want to be over optimistic, but I just want to believe he will be ok.
I saw Stirling Moss racing at Mallory park in 1980 when he was competing in an the British Touring car series, he was driving an Audi 80. If I remember correctly (unlikely) he spun off at least once and was barely competitive.
He would have been 51 years old in 1980. Not many drivers are competitive at that age?

According to wiki:
n 1962, he crashed his Lotus heavily during the Glover Trophy at Goodwood. The accident put him in a coma for a month, and for six months the left side of his body was partially paralysed. He recovered, but retired from professional racing after a private test session in a Lotus 19 the following year, when he lapped a few tenths of a second slower than before. He felt he had not regained his previously instinctive command of the car.
I can see why he would retire if he was a few tenths slower after being in the top 3 for 7 years. Even so,he would have probably been a respectable mid level F1 driver at that speed.

The point is that a decent recovery can be possible sometimes, although we don't know if Moss and Bianchi's injuries are similar.

WaikeCU

1962 and 2014. How much has medical treatment evolved throughout this time and how much research on finding solutions for brain injuries has there been?

Ennis
Ennis

SectorOne wrote:Nobody even knows at what level Bianchi´s injury is so it´s impossible to say whether he will be a vegetable or coming back to being a fully working human being.
Agree with this, but its hard to imagine it as anything other than 'severe' which is not good news for anyone.

There's not very many people who will have a harder impact than hitting your head on a solid vehicle whilst travelling at over 100mph.

Gaz.
Gaz.

WaikeCU wrote:1962 and 2014. How much has medical treatment evolved throughout this time and how much research on finding solutions for brain injuries has there been?
Neuroscience and mental health has evolved enormously in 50 years. This page barely scrapes the surface:

https://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/hist.html#1950

CT scans were introduced in the 1970's and MRI scanners in the mid 1980s (although they were invented much earlier, the first image from a MRI machine is from 1952) and diffusion tensor imaging is quite recent. Primary & Secondary brain injury was discovered in the 1970s and president Bush called the 1990's the 'decade of the brain' for the push for neurosciences.

Medicine must surely have one of the steepest learning curves and so many ideas and procedures are outdated at quite a rate as new ideas, concepts and treatments become mainstream.
Forza Jules

mikeerfol

A press conference by FIA regarding Bianchi's accident started literally 2 minutes ago.

Shrieker

What was talked in the conference ? Any hints about possible changes to yellow flag zones ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

noel

Shrieker wrote:What was talked in the conference ? Any hints about possible changes to yellow flag zones ?
speed limit and skirts to jcb's both came up.
44 | 22 | 14

Hail22

Thoughts and prayers with Jules.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

RZS10

„Bianchi did not slow down under yellow. On intercom marussia did push him to go fast for recovering on ericsson. On the records.“ - from a source close to the FIA (from sportbild.de)

Bianchis sector times improved even though he had old inters on the car and rain got heavier ... i hope it's not true ... even if it does not change anything now

langwadt
langwadt

RZS10 wrote:„Bianchi did not slow down under yellow. On intercom marussia did push him to go fast for recovering on ericsson. On the records.“ - from a source close to the FIA (from sportbild.de)

Bianchis sector times improved even though he had old inters on the car and rain got heavier ... i hope it's not true ... even if it does not change anything now
I wish the best for him. This sound insensitive but if part of cause was an error of judgment on his part at least it wasn't a marshal that got hurt or worse

Richard
Richard

I see Jules Bianchi's father has spoken to La Gazzetta dello Sport:
Philippe Bianchi wrote: The situation is desperate, every time the telephone goes, we know it could be the hospital to tell us that Jules is dead.

His doctors have told us that this is already a miracle, no one has ever survived such a serious accident. But Jules won't give-up.

Everyone keeps asking me how Jules is but I can't reply, there is no answer. It's very serious, but he's stable.

One day he seems a bit better, other days a bit worse. The doctors don't say. The damage from the accident is very bad but we don't know how it will evolve.

When Jules gets a bit better we can transfer him, maybe to Tokyo and things will be a bit easier. But who knows when that will happen. If it will happen. We have no certainties, we just have to wait."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29610752
It's also interesting that he says he now understands why there were so few updates about Schumacher's, it's because there is nothing to say.

Forza

My thoughts and prayers are with Jules and his family at this time. I can't even imagine how hard was it for Mr. Philippe Bianchi to talk about Jules as the family is left in the dark over his condition and they can only wait. I hope Jules continues to fight and get well soon and that family stays strong. It's going to be long and painfull waiting and i hope to hear some good news.

I think It's premature to speak about the conclusions abot the accident and the factors that were involved. One can see that that FIA press conference was only hled to clear the things that were prone to speculation. I assume that they (FIA) certainly know more about it and the procedures that they want to put in (to take away the decision from drives/teams to what extend to slow down during the yellow flag periods) suggest that they were not satisfied with what they saw on that part. Not to mention that there has to be some improvement to the use/type of recovery vehicles. It was very unfortunate accident but the FIA has to analyse it and implement the lessons across its racing series.

Forza Jules!
Last edited by Forza on 14 Oct 2014, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

countersteer
countersteer

G-sensor in the ear measures 92 g.

I read the article with google translate. Would appreciate any further comments.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 12210.html