Would a covered cockpit have helped Bianchi ?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: Would a covered cockpit have helped Bianchi ?

Do they really think that small... antenna? will keep the car high enough for the driver to get out of the car if upside down?

And I agree with Thunders about visibility

FW17

Thunders wrote:Thanks, i didn't realize one could see through glass... ;)

No i mean the Chassis in front of the Driver is actually raising, the Driver would never be able to see the Street, only mayba a Rear Wing in Front of him. Don't know how that would Play out for the race Leader. ^^
How is different from the 2011 F1 chassis?

Andres125sx

Because 2011 chassis didn´t raise from the cockpit to the nose.

Thunder

The Nose on the 2011 Chassis didn't raise above the Drivers Helmet.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

schick
schick

Moose wrote:
schick wrote:I'm obviously missing something here, enclosed cockpits, exploding bolts, ejector seats? surely this is over egging the problem, the answer is simple, when "DOUBLE" yellows are displayed you slow down! don't try and take advantage of a situation to make up time, the impact speed of 205kph? showed complete disregard for marshals and their safety.
And that would have helped Wilson, Wheldon, Surtees and Massa how?
The Question is "Would a covered cockpit have helped Bianchi"??????? nothing to do with Wilson,Wheldon etc, etc :roll:

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

The answer is *we* don't know.

There are people out there who probably have a good idea.

First thing you need is access to the data of Bianchi's Marussia. From this and the onboard footage you can see where the impact occurred and the forces involved.

Now you can start adding into the model the various cockpit protection systems to see if they would absorb or deflect enough energy to prevent egress into the cockpit.

People say Bianchi wasn't impacted by the recovery truck, it was the deceleration that killed him. Unless someone can link to the medical report I am sceptical of that.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

" Bianchi’s helmet struck the sloping underside of the crane. The magnitude of the blow and the glancing nature of it caused massive head deceleration and angular acceleration, leading to his severe injuries."
from the FIA's accident panel http://www.fia.com/news/accident-panel
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.