Formula 1 live on internet!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
manchild
manchild

Formula 1 live on internet!

On several occasion I’ve read here that there are some forum visitors/members who are not able to receive live TV coverage of F1 races because TV available there doesn't broadcasts F1 races. I have no such problems but knowing how I’d miss it I came upon solution which I think can sort the problems of F1 fans worldwide.

All that would be needed is one or more forum members that can watch Formula 1 live on their PC with fast upstream internet and TV tuner card set as video source on Yahoo messenger (instead of webcam).

If someone would be kind enough to share their Yahoo ID and announce when and if he or she would be online than other users with no possibility to watch F1 on TV could log in and watch race live via Yahoo messenger.

I’d do it myself but my upstream is too slow for video.

Any comments?

DarkSnape

does anyone know if any tv post will transmit pre qualifing? i have a pc program free internet or something like that. 10x

vyselegend

Yeah manchild that's a GREAT idea! Here in france the channel "TF1" is holding the retranssmition rights, and watching F1 with them is just like watching a world festival of advertissment! :evil: every 5 minutes, it's time for advertissment, and when the action comes back, you often have miss some crucial actions. On the top of that, my tv post broke yesterday, so I'm in a big big trouble for bahrein!!! If someone can do it, it would save me. Even if I think my connection would not allow to watch live timing and the race at the same time, as I was used to do...

jaslfc
jaslfc

even if its not posible for anyone to stream this for us. does anyone know of any site where u can pay to watch f1 online?

manchild
manchild

C'mon guys... Can it be that none forum member has fast upstream, yahoo messnger and TV tuner?

Race is in 3 days so hurry up!

I really hoped this is a good idea to help forum members that can't watch F1 localy.

I can watch it on 2 different TV stations but as I said my upstream is too slow.

ginsu
ginsu

This is much easier said than done. You would have to have a really fast connection to stream the content to more than one or two users. Also, the video compression would have to happen realtime which is just not forseeable with an average PC. Sure, you could build a server to stream the video, but who's going to invest that much to distribute F1 over the internet for free.

Also, you would get shut down immediately by F1.com...do you remember what happened to the F1 Seasons site. They weren't even showing races, just clips.

Personally, I watch the stats from F1.com. It sucks having no picture, but oh well, that's what I get for living in America. NASCAR everywhere, F1 nowhere.
I love to love Senna.

Venom
Venom

Tell me they don't show F1 in America?! Sack your president!

If you want to see complete re-run let me know as I can record the race via TV card and get a mate to encode it. Unfortunately it won't be live, but it's up to you really.

ginsu
ginsu

thanks, but i do get the reruns from friends here but they have it only on Speed Channel digital cable, which i currently do not have. it's not great coverage either, as far as the commentators.

i can watch like 4 races on CBS...funny, it's never the Indy GP.
I love to love Senna.

manchild
manchild

ginsu wrote:...Also, you would get shut down immediately by F1.com...do you remember what happened to the F1 Seasons site. They weren't even showing races, just clips...
How do you think that formula1.com can know what kind of video am I showing to another user on messenger?! :?

I'm not talking about public broadcast on some site but on user to user broadcast that has no difference from cam to cam video chat. Only difference is in settings of video source in Yahoo messenger (TV tuner instead of Web cam).

Unlike the MSN messenger, Yahoo messenger allows video conference and I think that there wouldn't be choking on reasonably fast internet.

ginsu
ginsu

Yea, I guess that could work, if your computer can encode the video fast enough. I'm sure you would have to do some downsampling to send it over the Internet simultaneously.
I love to love Senna.

vyselegend

At least, a re-run with no advertissment cuts would be nice... But I'm pretty sure the one wich share the retransmission with the others risk to have problems with the legal stuff.

zac510
zac510

manchild
manchild

ginsu wrote:Yea, I guess that could work, if your computer can encode the video fast enough. I'm sure you would have to do some downsampling to send it over the Internet simultaneously.
No, no I'm sure it works because I've tried it several times. Messenger broadcasts from TV tuner in real time with no problems at all just as it does with web cam.

nu-boi
nu-boi

West
West

SPEED has dropped WRC coverage for more NASCAR shows. That is the staying power of NASCAR these days, however disgusting it sounds.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements