Numb Nibbed...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Numb Nibbed...

Ok then. I know I write like crap and on rare occassions I even write crap. Hell, most of you guys write loads a crap too. But hey, that does not mean we do not appreciate great writing. Right, guys? We all love to cozy up to writing that stimulates our senses and get us in that mood (you know which mood I mean!). That imagery, the emotions, the smells and sounds of formula one... Sadly, in current F1 writing, there is not much that is stimulating at all. Amost every where I go... In the forums, in web articles (yes even paid opinion articles), magazines? everything just sounds like a news report that you have seen before, some sort of tabloid-like sensationalism or some quotes poorly hashed together. It is just bleh... I just don't care to read about F1 anymore. Its just walls of text to me now.. A world of numbness. Can you feel me?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Numb Nibbed...

nope
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Tim.Wright

Perhaps a technical forum is not the place for you
Not the engineer at Force India

rohit1594

No..

Richard
Richard

PlatinumZealot wrote:everything just sounds like a news report that you have seen before, some sort of tabloid-like sensationalism or some quotes poorly hashed together. It is just bleh...
Yup, we hear "lots of people are saying" or "there are loads of rumours", but when you look carefully its just one small soundbite that has been rinsed and repeated by multiple outlets publishing multiple articles.

Even worse is when journalists say "could", which is shorthand for "I just made something up to fill this page". We know its made up because if they were reporting something that had actually happened they'd say "had" or that someone "said". For instance "Aliens could be on the moon" is not the same as "Astronomers said aliens are on the moon"

oT v1
oT v1

I dont like the lack of technology insight from the teams and manufacturers, i think this would help boost the news side of things. As one team member said during the blown diffuser season, the teams know exactly what the other teams are doing but nobody is explaining to the public. Show off why its so good/wasnt so good!

I think F1 could benefit from some proper tech insight, explained by teams, like CFD of different wing solutions (and not just 6 year old pictures like the sauber), why they chose certain routes to go down. I cant stand hearing how high-tech an f1 car is because it can drive upside down in a tunnel. Maybe more interviews from people inside the teams, not just bland TP's and drivers who try to emulate politicians. I love Hamilton but he has 18 'favourite tracks' where the fans have been 'amazing'....

That said, this forum is amazing, i still cant understand wtf grunt-guru/tommy/Dave talk about in the engine thread, even if it is mostly speculation there is a lot of passion, science and learning to be done on this site!

EDIT: And jesus, stop the BS secrecy on driver movements, WHY IS VETTEL NOT CONFIRMED YET AT SF!!!!!!!!!!
The Power of Dreams

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

PlatinumZealot wrote:Ok then. I know I write like crap and on rare occassions I even write crap. Hell, most of you guys write loads a crap too. But hey, that does not mean we do not appreciate great writing. Right, guys? We all love to cozy up to writing that stimulates our senses and get us in that mood (you know which mood I mean!). That imagery, the emotions, the smells and sounds of formula one... Sadly, in current F1 writing, there is not much that is stimulating at all. Amost every where I go... In the forums, in web articles (yes even paid opinion articles), magazines? everything just sounds like a news report that you have seen before, some sort of tabloid-like sensationalism or some quotes poorly hashed together. It is just bleh... I just don't care to read about F1 anymore. Its just walls of text to me now.. A world of numbness. Can you feel me?

Hehe Bernie has you hooked like good heroin, we are all searching while he rips down all YouTube videos. It's cruel being an F1 fan trying so hard to get the fix but it can't be filled. It's a great model to have the fans so thirsty for information yet no where to be found. This website is by far the easiest way to dive deeper into f1 but it's still just scratching the surface.

gavingav1
gavingav1

Can you feel me?
only for $20 :twisted: :lol:

bhall II
bhall II

As bad as "real" journalism has a tendency to be these days, sports "journalism" in general is, and has been, a whole lot worse. I think everyone involved quietly realizes that, because they don't have any real responsibilities to society, there are no real penalties for inaccuracy (Joe Saward) or sensationalism (any number of Italian publications). Instead, the goals are page clicks and access to the teams/drivers/etc. I think that's why everything tends to read like PR: the "journalists" writing the stuff are rarely little more than extensions of a PR machine.

"Well, someone said it. So, it must be true." :wtf:

I sometimes wonder if things would be different, and not just in sports, if those in the Fourth Estate actually did their jobs, and held public figures accountable for their words and actions, instead of trying to further their own careers.

(Idealism isn't sexy.)

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

PlatinumZealot wrote:We all love to cozy up to writing that stimulates our senses and get us in that mood (you know which mood I mean!).
I dunno man, personally I get off to reading up on effect of styrene/vinyl content on Tg for SBR polymers. Mm, nice and dry technical study.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.