How to fix F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mrluke
mrluke

Re: How to fix F1

Banning more stuff wont fix a mess that is made from stuff being banned.

J_Clark
J_Clark

How about this fix? It is maybe a bit too much fantasy but here it is.

No budget cap.
Maximum of 250 team personnel.
Maximum of 25 team personnel traveling to races.
No big, luxurious and expensive motorhomes on races.

Simplify aerodynamics. Simpler front wings, no winglets, no vortex generators, no turning vanes.
Single tyre supplier. Move to 18-inch and wider tyres.
Increase car width to 1,900 mm.
No customer one year old chassis.

Engines:
Now, this would need performance equalization, like in WEC. My numbers are probably way off, but just to make it easier to understand what I mean, here they are.

1.6 V6 T + ERS - use current rules
1.6 V6 T - 120 kg fuel for race, bigger fuel flow limit

2.4 V8 + ERS - 140 kg fuel for race, fuel flow limit, rev limit
2.4 V8 - 160 kg fuel for race, no fuel flow limit, bigger rev limit

Maybe another engine configuration could be used to attract new manufacturers.

Season calendar:

Two preseason tests, 4 days each.
16 championship races. No changes to GP weekend schedule, one we have now is good.

Up to 10 non-championship races, also used for car testing.
Non-championship GP weekend schedule would look like this:
Friday - test day
Saturday - test day
Sunday - 30 minutes long qualifying session (max. 9 laps for eachdriver), race as usual
Exceptions are street races where GP weekend would be two days long, with two free practices and qualifying on Saturday and race on Sunday.

Reason why I'm suggesting non-championship races is to give more opportunity for young drivers to test F1 cars.

Example of calendar:
NC - non-championship race

February:
Jerez test - 4 days
Portimao test - 4 days
NC Meditteranean GP - Paul Ricard

March:
NC Bahrain GP - Sakhir
1. Australian GP - Albert Park
2. Malaysian GP - Sepang

April:
NC Fuji GP - Fuji
3. Chinese GP - Shanghai

May:
NC San Marino GP - Imola
4. Spanish GP - Barcelona
5. Monaco GP - Monte Carlo

June:
6. Canadian GP - Montreal
NC US East GP - Watkins Glen
NC US West GP - Long Beach
7. French GP - Magny-Cours

July:
8. British GP - Silverstone
9. German GP - Hockenheim
10. Austrian GP - Red Bull Ring

August:
NC Hungarian GP - Hungaroring
11. Belgian GP - Spa Francorchamps

September:
12. Italian GP - Monza
NC European GP - Nurburgring
NC Singapore GP - Marina Bay

October:
13. Japanese GP - Suzuka
NC Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina
14. US GP - COTA

November:
15. Mexican GP - Hermanos Rodriguez
16. Brazilian GP - Interlagos

Point system:

WDC - 10-6-4-3-2-1 For me this was the best points system used in F1 because it made win worth more.
WCC - 12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 Only team's highest positioned car scores points.

Grid would be limited to 24 cars.

Money distribution:
If Joe Saward's financial structure is correct, and if I added number correctly, teams "share" $1,148 million between them. Problem is that that money is not shared in most fairer way. Nobody expects that team that finished first earns same amount of money as the team that finished last. But even the team that finished last needs to earn enough money to function normally.

So, here is what I propose. Lets say that CVC agrees to give $1,302.4 million prize money.
Here is how it would be distributed.
Each team would get $50.0 million. In total that is $600 million.
Distribution of the rest of the money ($702.4 million) would depend on how each team performs in each championship race of the season.
It looks like this:

1 - 2,5 million $
2 - 2,5
3 - 2,5
4 - 2,5
5 - 2,5

6 - 2,2
7 - 2,2
8 - 2,2
9 - 2,2
10 - 2,2

11 - 1.8
12 - 1,8
13 - 1,8
14 - 1,8
15 - 1,8

16 - 1,4
17 - 1,4
18 - 1,4
19 - 1,4
20 - 1,4

21 - 1,1
22 - 1,1
23 - 1,1
24 - 1,1

This money distribution model means that minimum what team could earn in season is $85.2 million, and maximum is $130.0 million.

So this is how I would try to fix F1, with fairer money distribution, more rational way how teams operate, more aggressive looking cars, with more technical diversity, and more racing for fans.

Di-69
Di-69

F1= to many people with their hands in the till .
Bin all the old hand outs and start again with a more equal financial system . As for cutting all the teams down to 250 people , that just puts thousands of workers out in the cold. Your'll just end up with things like redbull racing team (under 250 employes ) and red bull technology's ( with as many employes as they want) building the car. .......er hang on .
You can't stop the big teams finding a way around the rules , but maybe by giving the smaller teams more of the golden pot , we will have new talent move up and some good racing in the mid to back field.

xpensive
xpensive

strad wrote:Run normally aspirated engines of a set displacement, any number of cylinders that suits you and eliminate all this extraneous crap.
Get rid of DRS.
There you go strad! =D>
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

MOWOG

Run normally aspirated engines of a set displacement, any number of cylinders that suits you and eliminate all this extraneous crap. Get rid of DRS.
Oh, you mean like in the old days when the sport had a displacement limit and as long as you fit within that limit, you were welcome to compete? LIke when 12 cylinder Ferraris and Maseratis ran with Cosworth V-8's? Yup, those were the days when I first got hooked on Formula One. I seem to recall all the drivers hated getting stuck behind a Maserati powered car because they spewed oil out the tailpipe which got all over the following driver's face shield and made a smeary mess.

Watkins Glen. The Bog. Good times. :D
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Töm87
Töm87

A bit off topic, but am i the only one who would love to see a second tire suppler back?
I think it really added some extra excitement.

Scorpaguy

Here's an idea...save money on engine development via spreading the same engine spec across several FIA series. The F1 motor is crap..sounds like a John Deere :lol: Sound is part of the thrill of racing, a big part.

I know it's small, but the WRC mill/transmission formula is nice, sounds great, has development potential, and is cheap. Endurance, touring, and even other series could use them. Imagine a Citroen F1 team...an Infiniti WRC team.

...oh yeah, no TC, single plane aero, and limit ticket prices.

xxChrisxx
xxChrisxx

The answer to this is very simple and has been for quite a long time. Get rid of Bernie.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... r-audience

F1NAC

For me the stupidest idea is engine freeze. If Renault and Ferrari doesn't fix their problem for next season then again is game over. What's the point of watching one team dominating because it has better engine and their rivals aren't getting closer because they can't fix the engine problem. It would be interesting if FIA doesnt freeze any percent of PU for 2015 so you can change all parts and then from 2016 at least onwards put homologation limit

mclaren111

They can change up to 48% for next year - enough in my opinion. If Ferrari & Renualt get it right they should be able to close up a lot and then use superior Suspension & Aero to close the gap !!!

I am a Mclaren fan but you can not penilize Merc for doing a good job !!!!!!!!!!

RB the past 4 years the perfect example.

Short term fixes:

1. Smaller Diffuser - Less down force & Increase driver's skills
2. Wider Rear Tyres - Increase cornering & acceleration speeds - at least 18 inch
3. Narrower Front Wing - Increase design philosophy - flow inside / outside of tyre etc.
4. Make the Engines as loud as possible - introduce a minimum decibel - FIA said it was possible :D

noname
noname

F1NAC wrote:For me the stupidest idea is engine freeze. If Renault and Ferrari doesn't fix their problem for next season then again is game over. What's the point of watching one team dominating because it has better engine and their rivals aren't getting closer because they can't fix the engine problem. It would be interesting if FIA doesnt freeze any percent of PU for 2015 so you can change all parts and then from 2016 at least onwards put homologation limit
Those pushing on engines' unfreeze seem to be forgetting it will also allow Mercedes to develop its engine further, and I would not be surprised if the net result would be gap even bigger than today.

Merc spend years and sh***t load of money building organization capable to develop dominant challenger, PU including. In contrary Renault's main concern was keeping the cost down, and Ferrari was too busy playing internal wars. I seriously doubt they are ready to take the fight to Merc. Not that this can not be done, but the problems they have are not to be solved quickly.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

why would F1 need fixing, i still don't get it.

The only real problem fans are facing with are 2 things; 1- F1 behind the decoder and 2 - ticket prices.
Fans feel like F1 is going under because they aren't willing to pay the tickets and they have to pay to view it.
They feel betrayed [understandably] and are angry.

Does F1 really need those fans? Well, real fans will keep following anyway, so, F1 can handle the loss of a few.
If you look at the post-race podium interviews and ceremony, you can see crowds absolutely flocking towards
the podium. Hardly a sign that nobody bothers about F1 anymore.

This year F1 fans can enjoy a whopping load of exciting racing, much better in comparison to past years.
Do the cars look stupid? Hmmm in a way yes but it's not like F1 cars ever were designed to be a looker, and
the past shows loads of aestethically unpleasant vehicles.

TV figures to prove a point are pointless, Schumacher is out and Vettel isn't having a good year so it's only logical
german viewers have less interest. Meanwhile , these figurs mean nothing because like me, thousands of fans dont
bother watching it live anymore.
I have no shame to say that i download the movie as a torrent from some warmhearted F1 fans whom share the Sky
editions in full HD on the web.

That doesn't get any rating or showing, on any site now does it? Meanwhile, there are thousands of seeders and leechers.
I know other forums that provide download links of the races in different formats, too, in different languages, too.

What this means is that public TV figures only show an estimate of whom is actually watching F1 at the airtimes. They can't include download views. In the end, the lesser view on TV are greatly compensated by the download views.

Shortly thus; viewing rates are worthless and thus aren't to be taken into any equasion. Thats thanks to F1 going behind the decoder, though.

Is that lethal for F1? offcourse not, lots of soccer and sports are behind the decoder and there's still soccer.

So some small teams aren't able to maintain being alive in F1. Should the big teams compensate for that?
Well should Barça or Real Madrid compensate for worthless soccer teams with lousy leadership and completly useless players going bankrupt or out of service? Hell nah.

It's a bunch of scaremongering and completely misplaced ideas that there's anything wrong at all with Formula 1.

The younger generation may not have the same interest in F1 as there was perhaps in the 90's and 2000's, but thats more due to the fact the young generation of today has zero loyalty to anything, at all.

Is the music industry gone? no it's not, it's different then it was in the 90's with different music.

times change, sports change, evolves, and so does F1.

F1 doesnt need a budget cap at all. Why would they? There are hundreds of millions paid for transfers of soccer players, no complains there. Why do we complain about salaries in F1? Senna got a good share of money in his pockets, there was no issue about that back then, why now?

Sponsors are willing to pay huge amounts of money to F1 teams because it's worth it. It's as simple as that. Topdrivers are getting big salaries because they are worth it. That's why Alonso and Hamilton have a much higher salary compared to a good-for-nothing driver like Trulli [was].

Is it bernie or F1's fault that paydrivers come in and pay huge money for a single session in free practice or a racing seat? No, it's the fault of the actual team that doesn't sort it's business well enough and doesn't have the neccesary tools in place and thus need compensation somewhere. As long as paydrivers are willing to do that, that's just how it is.

Mercedes is willing to spend hundreds of millions of dollars in research and providing a V6 Turbo engine. The F1 team then buys this engine and pays big bucks for it. So goes for Renault, so goes for Ferrari, Honda the same, and perhaps Audi and other manufacturers are going to do the same in the future.

Sauber is facing big problems due to money shortage mainly due to not having sponsors. Is that new? God no, they've been running near-blank cars since 2009, that's 5 years near-sponsorless. It's not something new, it's the net result of years.

F1 has a problem because there are teams going bankrupt? No, there have been many teams coming and going in the past, that's how it goes. Meanwhile, everybody could see this happening for years, especially with the new regulations. Fernandes said if they don't scare points, he's out. He kept his promise, hardly any shock surprise there.

I see zero surprises in F1 and nothing actually panicking at all.

If F1 genuinly had a problem, then all the teams together would be having serious meetings together with the FIA on what to do. Meanwhile, it's just some words from smaller teams whom didn't do their work pointing fingers at the bigger teams.

The tire exploding saga a while back, now that was a genuine issue to worry about.
Drivers driving into recovery trucks, that is a genuine issue to worry about.
The idea that F1 cars need canopies. DRS. Contracts meaning nothing.

is that 'fixing F1'? no, it's just adressing things that happen. Like suarez biting fellow players. Something pops up, and you deal with it.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

strad

Those pushing on engines' unfreeze seem to be forgetting it will also allow Mercedes to develop its engine further, and I would not be surprised if the net result would be gap even bigger than today.
IF they can more power to them.
At least the others should have the chance to improve their competitiveness.
We should be able to see constant improvement and or failures. :wink:
Manoah2u: Yes you don't get it.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Indeed, i don't get the buzz about it.

https://f1broadcasting.wordpress.com/tag/ratings/

it's not all declining.

meanwhile, I don't get it becuase i don't agree F1 needs fixing.
Nor do i feel the need to conform myself to general opinion. :-({|=

Quite hypocrite by the way to judge and bash on F1 and how everything's wrong with it but still sit back
and watch Qualy and Race day in anticipation..... :roll: Like hating everything about your favourite artists
new album but listening to the same album all day long.

no, indeed, i don't get it and i'm quite fine with that :-$
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

dans79

xxChrisxx wrote:The answer to this is very simple and has been for quite a long time. Get rid of Bernie.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... r-audience
I completely agree with this.

I would go as far as saying he is starting to show signs of "diminished capacity", perhaps that is reason enough to oust him.
197 104 103 7