Michael Schumacher - WDC 20th anniversary

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1316
f1316

Re: Michael Schumacher - WDC 20th anniversary

Sulman wrote:
fiohaa wrote:
MadMatt wrote:I didn't know what more could be done in 2003, as this was an almost faultless season!
think you must be confusing 03 with 04.
03 was epic because there were 3 different teams who were capable of winning right to the end.
2003 was a superb season up to Monza, before Michelin got busted for the tread width infringement, a decision I can understand but still essentially handed the title to Schumacher.
Really don't think that's true - the Michelin boys were still well in contention in both monza and Indy. Schumacher was epic in both of those races imo.

bill shoe
bill shoe

I don't buy that Schumacher was epic. Monza that year was the race where he said he "didn't see" Montoya even though Montoya was slightly AHEAD of him into the chicane. All the journalists in the press conference were laughing out loud at Schumacher. Simple situation where Schumacher was prepared to push competitors off the track rather than race them. Admittedly this worked for him, and that's what WDC are made of.

siskue2005

bill shoe wrote:I don't buy that Schumacher was epic. Monza that year was the race where he said he "didn't see" Montoya even though Montoya was slightly AHEAD of him into the chicane. All the journalists in the press conference were laughing out loud at Schumacher. Simple situation where Schumacher was prepared to push competitors off the track rather than race them. Admittedly this worked for him, and that's what WDC are made of.
Please get the facts right, that incident was at Imola 2004 not Monza 2003 :shock: :shock:
Frankly speaking it was such a blunder to overtake someone on the outside (and that too into such a fast entry and exit hairpin corner) they are always gonna run you out of road. JPM hoped Schumacher would roll over, but that didnt happen and his underhand insult was just showing how all future Nascar drivers behave :lol:

2003 Monza that was some epic retake of the lead by Schumy and then he streaked away and nbody could catch him

siskue2005

f1316 wrote:
Sulman wrote:
fiohaa wrote: think you must be confusing 03 with 04.
03 was epic because there were 3 different teams who were capable of winning right to the end.
2003 was a superb season up to Monza, before Michelin got busted for the tread width infringement, a decision I can understand but still essentially handed the title to Schumacher.
Really don't think that's true - the Michelin boys were still well in contention in both monza and Indy. Schumacher was epic in both of those races imo.
Completely agree, the Indy 2003 was just amazing and epic by Schumy which sealed the WDC for him, Starting from 7th on the grid with all the michelin runners in the top 6 he had no hope....until the rain came and nobody could touch the rain master....i still remember those epic race =D>

Sulman
Sulman

A major change was made to the rules causing Michelin to fundamentally change the tyre for the first time since 2001.

But that wasn't the reason the others weren't competitive suddenly, it was just that Michael was really good.

Do I have that right?

siskue2005

There were no major rule changes, the new rule allowed FIA to measure the tyre width at the beginning and after the race (previously it was just measurement before the race). That was the only rule change brought about after FIA got new evidence from ferrari, about Michelin's tyres exceeding the maximum width the tyre width and contact patch after it runs few laps (which in itself was bending rules). The FIA just added the rule that they will measure the tyre width after its stint!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 077372.stm
Now tell me who was cheating

it is nothing more than what we see today with RBRs and FIA, suddenly the FIA issues a new wing load test, floor test etc etc and the flexy wings saga.....back in the days people wanted to see Ferrari and MS beat so badly that they forget all logic

George-Jung
George-Jung

siskue2005 wrote: Completely agree, the Indy 2003 was just amazing and epic by Schumy which sealed the WDC for him, Starting from 7th on the grid with all the michelin runners in the top 6 he had no hope....until the rain came and nobody could touch the rain master....i still remember those epic race =D>
+1

Thank you for reminding me about this race, I just watched the 15 highlights on Youtube and that was indeed an incredible race!! =D>

I really miss those days!! For me that F2003 is one of the most beautiful F1-cars ever.. :oops:

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

George-Jung wrote:
siskue2005 wrote: Completely agree, the Indy 2003 was just amazing and epic by Schumy which sealed the WDC for him, Starting from 7th on the grid with all the michelin runners in the top 6 he had no hope....until the rain came and nobody could touch the rain master....i still remember those epic race =D>
+1

Thank you for reminding me about this race, I just watched the 15 highlights on Youtube and that was indeed an incredible race!! =D>

I really miss those days!! For me that F2003 is one of the most beautiful F1-cars ever.. :oops:
it was a good race and a good performance from Schumacher. But it must be noted (and Schumacher said as much after the race) that the Bridgestone intermediate tyre was far superior to anything Michelin had and that is what won the race for Ferrari.

George-Jung
George-Jung

Gerhard Berger wrote: it was a good race and a good performance from Schumacher. But it must be noted (and Schumacher said as much after the race) that the Bridgestone intermediate tyre was far superior to anything Michelin had and that is what won the race for Ferrari.
True, but does it matter?

MadMatt
MadMatt

I just saw that Mick Schumacher is going to drive in Formula 4. I cannot stop thinking about his father. I find this very sad. I know there is worse in the world, but the man has driven so many years dangerous cars on dangerous tracks, and well we know what is the situation now. Sorry for the bump, but keep fighting Michael!

Vasconia

George-Jung wrote:
Gerhard Berger wrote: it was a good race and a good performance from Schumacher. But it must be noted (and Schumacher said as much after the race) that the Bridgestone intermediate tyre was far superior to anything Michelin had and that is what won the race for Ferrari.
True, but does it matter?
Still, was an epic victory. 2003 was an incredible season with so many crazy races and three contenders. The WC was alive until the last lap of the last race. Amazing.

bill shoe
bill shoe

siskue2005 wrote:
bill shoe wrote:I don't buy that Schumacher was epic. Monza that year was the race where he said he "didn't see" Montoya even though Montoya was slightly AHEAD of him into the chicane. All the journalists in the press conference were laughing out loud at Schumacher. Simple situation where Schumacher was prepared to push competitors off the track rather than race them. Admittedly this worked for him, and that's what WDC are made of.
Please get the facts right, that incident was at Imola 2004 not Monza 2003 :shock: :shock:
Frankly speaking it was such a blunder to overtake someone on the outside (and that too into such a fast entry and exit hairpin corner) they are always gonna run you out of road. JPM hoped Schumacher would roll over, but that didnt happen and his underhand insult was just showing how all future Nascar drivers behave :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqr9U4u2j7w

2003 Monza that was some epic retake of the lead by Schumy and then he streaked away and nbody could catch him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvx0xcrWwUk
Oops, yes I had facts wrong.:oops:
Still have different perspective on Schumacher driving than siskue2005 but I'll leave that for a post without factual mistakes.