Negativity and Haterism trend....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
CBeck113
CBeck113

Re: Negativity and Haterism trend....

strad wrote:Why can't we ever have a discussion that is not predicated on fanboyism?
Because Hamilton is faster!

/sarcasm

I think 80% of the readers here ask teh same question, while the other 20% (this number is increasing rapidly) are only here to discuss their favorite drivers & why they are the best, which is detiorating the quality of the technical discussions and therefore this forum, which is sad because there are no real alternatives yet.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

I reckon it is probably due to the moronic effect of postmodernism..
..whereby fools really 'believe the hype' that their opinion = fact, & that emotive expression trumps evidence..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Sebp

J.A.W. wrote:I reckon it is probably due to the moronic effect of postmodernism..
..whereby fools really 'believe the hype' that their opinion = fact, & that emotive expression trumps evidence..
Scientific illiteracy in other words...
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

mrluke
mrluke

"You can't tell me im wrong, its my opinion, who are you to judge me, I know my rights!"

TAG

CBeck113 wrote:
strad wrote:Why can't we ever have a discussion that is not predicated on fanboyism?
Because Hamilton is faster!

/sarcasm

I think 80% of the readers here ask teh same question, while the other 20% (this number is increasing rapidly) are only here to discuss their favorite drivers & why they are the best, which is detiorating the quality of the technical discussions and therefore this forum, which is sad because there are no real alternatives yet.
I don't see why you couldn't have both, there are often distinct technical reasons why some drivers are faster than others, often it's the regulations suiting or being a detriment to a driver's style, other times it's superior talent. In the end as long as it's a driver sitting in the seat and not a pilotless drone there will always be the driver discussion.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

CBeck113
CBeck113

You could have both: clearly labeled fanboy threads and normal technical discussions. The problem is that the technical threads are being abused by those who are offended when someone else brings facts and says for instance: x driver was faster than y driver in 2014, because he scored more points, although x was faster in qualifying. These are facts, and should not be drawn into the constant "but y would have been faster cuz he was faster in 2013 and he had technical problems and x was the preferred driver from that team...."

The 80% I mentioned above are open to a good discussion of the facts, even about the drivers, but what they "could have done" or " I think that he had it harder / was considered the number two driver" etc. is fanboyism and has no place in a technical discussion - put that sh*t in its own fanboy thread and have a ball with it.

This is of course the decision of the admins on the scope of the forum & individual threads, and therefore their decisions / comments / actions dictate what they want to see on this site. This is my plea to them to straighten things out and bring this forum back to what it is titled.

P.S.: The 2014 F1 season still sucked :-D
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

TAG

CBeck113 wrote:P.S.: The 2014 F1 season still sucked :-D
Vettel? Is that you?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The reason fanboyism raises its ugly head is because there are people who hate certain drivers (often whilst preferring others). Any thread that mentions a hated driver must be descended upon and vitriol dispensed to all who will listen. For them, there can be no discussion about the merits of driver A at track B because they have to prove that driver A is in fact the worst driver ever - their hatred demands it of them to do this. When this happens, supporters of driver A respond. And then we have the silliness that is so often visible in threads hereabouts.

This is a facet of human nature that is present not just in internet forums but in "real" life too. Sometimes it leads to violence - see any number of football matches around the world over the years as examples.

Humans are animals and some animals just bite first and ask questions later... :(
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

nokivasara
nokivasara

I wonder if this has something to do with the field being so level?

10-12 years ago you only needed to see if Schumacher made it through the first corner to know how it would end, or at least it felt like that for a McLaren fan like me :?
My point is that it's easy to "hate" the successful ones and back then it was MS and Ferrari that got most of the hate, now it's spread out over the top 6 drivers.

I get the impression that fans nowadays follow a driver more than a team?

I have followed F1 since the early 90's and have evolved to a fan of the sport, not a specific driver or team, other than my countrymen from northern Europe of course.

CBeck113
CBeck113

TAG wrote:
Vettel? Is that you?
Nice, very nice :-D

Pierce89

TAG wrote:
Vettel? Is that you?
Vettel is for from being the only one. In fact, I'd say only Hamilton fans or Merc fans are the only ones calling it a great season. Commercially, this season was an abortion. Viewers dropping,teams failing etc.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

turbof1

Pierce89 wrote:
TAG wrote:
Vettel? Is that you?
Vettel is for from being the only one. In fact, I'd say only Hamilton fans or Merc fans are the only ones calling it a great season. Commercially, this season was an abortion. Viewers dropping,teams failing etc.
The same could be said about last year then, where only red bull fans "were the only ones calling it a great season".

Commercially I tend to agree, too much off track junk that ruined the attractiveness of the sport. On track I felt there was quite some good action. A lot of drama too, which came on 3 occasions with joy from a red bull driver picking his oppertunity.
#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

Pierce89 wrote:Vettel is for from being the only one. In fact, I'd say only Hamilton fans or Merc fans are the only ones calling it a great season. Commercially, this season was an abortion. Viewers dropping,teams failing etc.
Real racing fans are calling it a great season. Why? Because it actually contained proper racing this year.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

giantfan10
giantfan10

SectorOne wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:Vettel is for from being the only one. In fact, I'd say only Hamilton fans or Merc fans are the only ones calling it a great season. Commercially, this season was an abortion. Viewers dropping,teams failing etc.
Real racing fans are calling it a great season. Why? Because it actually contained proper racing this year.
Proper racing? funny.
do you know why mercedes let hamilton and rosberg race??? because they knew that nobody could touch them under normal circumstances.. they knew that regardless of what happened either hamilton or rosberg would end up winning the race..do you actually honestly believe mercedes would have the same response if ferrari and red bull were on par with them? nope
the only hope any other manufacturer had of winning a race was mechanical failure by mercedes or some wierd safety car stuff...that actually explains away the 3 red bull wins...
the 2014 season was a flat out joke and watching a race to see who comes in 3rd through last is of no interest to most fans.
oh and fyi before u bring up schumaker and vettel... there were no restrictions placed on teams to copy or create there own technology to beat the red bulls and ferraris in their dominant eras

Andres125sx

SectorOne wrote:
Do I deserve your credit to be considered a real racing fan? :twisted: