Fuel saving to make it more spectacular

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Fuel saving to make it more spectacular

Just watching Formula e and the races are pretty spectacular to watch. Like Indycar and WEC it's mostly about saving fuel/energy not about tyres like in F1.

F1 since Pirelli is like: few laps of close racing, trying to overtake and the tyres are gone. Take a pitstop for new rubber, lose some places on the field and regaining positions with fresh tyres. Yes it's overtaking, but hardly any racing.

Should F1 yield more to fuelsaving too, let a car take less kg of fuel for a race or increase the flow limit, so the 100kg runs out sooner?

We will see drivers saving during the race than going max power for the last rounds. Or max power in the first part, then trying to keep the lead till the end.

Add some more downforce for the lesser teams, harder tyres and loose the stupid wide front wing.

RA168E
RA168E

Re: Fuel saving to make it more spectacular

I wouldnt think that fuel saving would make better racing, what i would like to see, though i dont know how well it would actually work, is to keep the 100KG of fuel allowed in the car per race, BUT, allow refueling..so you can start on a light car, but youre only allowed X many litres of fuel. So you all have the same fuel load in theory, but you can exploit it at different stages of the race. I think it would make it more exciting, but thats just me.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

go from 100KG fuel per race to 150KG fuel per race, use standard fuel (92-98 octane), and have bigger and wider tires at the back.

Easy fix, huge results.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

umarsahb
umarsahb

Just watching Formula e and the races are pretty spectacular to watch. Like Indycar and WEC it's mostly about saving fuel/energy not about tyres like in F1.
Get free demos for ccna certification dumps exam using brandeis guaranteed success. Our coloradocollege.edu best quality prepares you well before appearing in the final exams.

Andres125sx

Reading this an idea similar to what MotoGP use came to my mind... What if fuel is used as a handicap?

WCC is allowed to use 100kg, second team can use 102, third 104, forth 106... Obviosly fuel rate should be adapted too. This would equal the grid

Moose
Moose

Manoah2u wrote:go from 100KG fuel per race to 150KG fuel per race, use standard fuel (92-98 octane), and have bigger and wider tires at the back.

Easy fix, huge results.
Increasing the rule to allow 150kg of fuel wouldn't change anything. The teams already don't use (or start with) all the 100kg.

You'd need to increase the fuel flow limit, not the total fuel allowed.

Andres125sx

Moose wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:go from 100KG fuel per race to 150KG fuel per race, use standard fuel (92-98 octane), and have bigger and wider tires at the back.

Easy fix, huge results.
Increasing the rule to allow 150kg of fuel wouldn't change anything. The teams already don't use (or start with) all the 100kg.

That depends on the track, on some they still need some saving because 100 are not enough. Anycase I guess Manoah2u was assuming fuel flow should be increased too

Moose
Moose

Andres125sx wrote:
Moose wrote:Increasing the rule to allow 150kg of fuel wouldn't change anything. The teams already don't use (or start with) all the 100kg.

That depends on the track, on some they still need some saving because 100 are not enough. Anycase I guess Manoah2u was assuming fuel flow should be increased too
No, on all of them they need fuel saving because it's faster to start light and fuel save than it is to start heavy and run flat out.

Even in Australia (one of the heaviest fuel use circuits), Mercedes completed the race with 90kg of fuel. Again, not because they didn't need to fuel save, but because 10kg less fuel in the car at the start of the race gains you more time than not fuel saving.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Andres125sx wrote:
Moose wrote:

Easy fix, huge results.

my bad, should've looked it up better when i was writing it down though it's a message of already what, 4 months old?

yeah i guess i really meant the fuel flow. the 150kg was meant as pushing 150kg of fuel through the engine in a race instead of 100kg.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jolle
Jolle

Comparing f1 with E and come to the comclusion it has to do with fuel, is a bit shortsighted. Formula E is a one chassis/engine formula, on hard tires, low downforce driven on bumpy street circuits plus they give a power boost joker to a few popular drivers. Bit like F3 in Monaco, always fun!