South African GP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

South African GP

Some dead proposal to desecrate the cape town cricket stadium

garygph
garygph

Re: South African GP

Quite right that it must be a "dead proposal". I do not believe SA can afford a GP at an existing track let alone a project like that. Kyalami has just been rescued as it nearly became a developers project. I understand that it was a close call and a very big relief to all racing enteusiasts in SA. So actually hosting a GP and the associated costs is a little out of reach in SA I think. Current exchange rate, electicity supply problems, collapsed postal system and so on makes me think that they have other issues to correct first. But hey that is logical and I am not sure that applies to politicians anywhere in the world!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Some more about it

http://www.capetowngrandprixsa.co.za/

i like thees pictures though it's totally beyond reasoning for obvious reasons; almost unavoidable mortal danger.

I'd like the idea, it would be cool, but there's no practical cause for it to excist. It's something fans and southafricans
would like, but that's not enough reason for a race. It would have to bring a beneficial reason to be hosted there,
in the form of either trades, country awareness, country's motorsport ambitions, etc. SA doesn't have those things,
it's not a relatively new 'growing' country, it's far from rich [like dubai, etc], it has no real business appeal.

If SA GP had any chance, it would have had to be around the WorldCup Soccer. everybody kinda forgotten that, and
quite frankly, so is this.

Nevertheless, would be great. Been there a couple times and enjoyed every single time of it.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

MOWOG

And people said the track at Indianapolis was "Mickey Mouse." Sheesh...... :roll:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

lotus7
lotus7

MOWOG wrote:And people said the track at Indianapolis was "Mickey Mouse." Sheesh...... :roll:
Not gonna happen !
WilliamsF1 , that is the Cape Town stadium , built for the Soccer World Cup - not a cricket stadium

FW17

lotus7 wrote:
MOWOG wrote:And people said the track at Indianapolis was "Mickey Mouse." Sheesh...... :roll:
Not gonna happen !
WilliamsF1 , that is the Cape Town stadium , built for the Soccer World Cup - not a cricket stadium

Thx

lotus7
lotus7

WilliamsF1 wrote:
lotus7 wrote:
Not gonna happen !

Thx
And the tax payers will pay for that for the next 30 years !

mclaren111

As a local I would have loved to have F1 in SA.

But Kyalami has been changed too much for good F1 racing, and a street race is simply too expensive.

With the corruption and incompetence in government it is never going to be possible again. Africa and all.

Sad - but that's life I guess :(

SectorOne

That corner layout where the stadium is, is the weirdest thing i have ever seen.
Seems like it was designed for TV rather then racing cars.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

yeah it looks rediculous :lol:
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

hollus

Second weirdest now ;-)
Rivals, not enemies.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

yeah vegas..... :mrgreen:

lotus7
lotus7

mclaren111 wrote:
With the corruption and incompetence in government it is never going to be possible again. Africa and all.

Sad - but that's life I guess :(
But........ their back hands are so BIG, and it's another way to palm tax payers money .
If they want to do it , why not at Nkandla - brand new guest house complex with mod cons, amphitheater , swimmimg pool plus a brand new highway rolling through the hills which can be converted into a track. Can even utilise the famous cattle gate, 3 helicopters always available at King Shaka airport to ferry in Bernie and the hoi peloi :twisted: