Driver Helmets 2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Cuky

Re: Driver Helmets 2015

Just_a_fan wrote:If they want the drivers to be recognisable in their cars then put their numbers where they can be seen. Side pod or rear wing endplates. Easy.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vuaGhr9CBIQ/U ... tus_72.JPG

I agree. Those huge numbers should become mandatory

j2004p
j2004p

Better idea in my opinion would be to Just make sure that drivers stick to a theme.

Example here is the difference between Button and Vettel

Jenson has had quite a few colour changes over the years but has always stuck to the same overall theme to the design.

Vettel on the other hand has barely had any consistent design theme for his helmets ironically since he drove for BMW Sauber and he had the plain red bull can design.

How you'd police something as subjective as a theme is another question.

MOWOG

It is a great comfort to me knowing the sport is able to come together and deal effectively with the REAL reason why TV viewing of F1 races has gone over a cliff.

Bravo! Well done, lads! =D> It's leadership like that which insures Formula One will remain the "pinnacle of motor sports", now and forever. :wtf:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

mikeerfol

J.No
J.No

OK, so the helmet designs cannot change. Does it say anything about who is wearing the helmet? No problem, Jenson is wearing Kimi's helmet today and Dan is wearing Nico's. There. All fixed?

It would be nice if the drivers could get together and stage some kind of protest like that to show the powers that be how ridiculous this kind of stuff is.

Lunacy.

Seriously, what penalties can be applied to this?

WaikeCU

I think one should stand up to this for example Vettel. I think he's rebellious and has a certain opinion to certain things. I mean what can the FIA do? Ban a driver from the championship? Disqualify him from the results? Hand them a big fine? That would really give a good reputation to the FIA. One driver losing the championship because he wore a different helmet.

Starscreamer

Jean Eric Vergne:

#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

The rule comes into place from FP1 Melbourne.

CBeck113
CBeck113

Well, at least it won't have any bugs or rubber stuck to it...makes cleaning easier
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

CBeck113 wrote:
Well, at least it won't have any bugs or rubber stuck to it...makes cleaning easier
Apart from the Formula E & Indycar bugs of course :wink:

Facts Only
Facts Only

I don't see why everyone is raging against the new rule, I think its a good step. Its not going to turn F1 around but its good simple move that will make the drivers more identifiable and more relatable, especially to young (child) fans and that's where you need to get the new fans.

These days the only part of the driver you can see when driving is there helmet (not like that!) so if you cant differentiate their helmet it might as well be anyone in there.

"When I were a wee lad" me and my friends knew how to draw all the drivers helmets and used to spend boring school days drawing what our racing drivers helmet was going to be like. It was something we could identify with and emulate, we used to crudely try to paint our bicycle and motorbike helmets with out designs or with our favourite drivers design (mine was a terrible wonky version of Martin Brundles). I've just ordered a new race helmet and I did my best to match the helmet I bought to what I imagined as a kid that I'd be racing with when I was older.

The only driver helmet I can even picture in my head now is Jensons bright pink tribute to his dad, that's particularly great as its something personal that I think most young racing fans can identify with (looking up to their dads). Before that the only other helmet in recent times I can remember is Michael Schumachers "Red Baron" get up, striking and good humoured.

A good helmet design combined with a retained career number will help kids identify the drivers and give them something to draw/copy. All we need now are some big bold colour schemes for the cars that stick in people minds.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Apparently Todt and Bernie wanted big driver numbers on the cars but the teams refused citing sponsorship issues. Fixed helmet designs is therefore a compromise position.

I still think it's daft.

http://mobile.f1today.nl/en/news/helmet ... e-measure/
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

WaikeCU

Just_a_fan wrote:Apparently Todt and Bernie wanted big driver numbers on the cars but the teams refused citing sponsorship issues. Fixed helmet designs is therefore a compromise position.

I still think it's daft.

http://mobile.f1today.nl/en/news/helmet ... e-measure/
Sounds like FIA acting like a kid not getting their candybar and to compensate the butthurt, they issue a ban on changing helmet designs.

ScottB
ScottB

Facts Only wrote:I don't see why everyone is raging against the new rule, I think its a good step. Its not going to turn F1 around but its good simple move that will make the drivers more identifiable and more relatable, especially to young (child) fans and that's where you need to get the new fans.

These days the only part of the driver you can see when driving is there helmet (not like that!) so if you cant differentiate their helmet it might as well be anyone in there.

"When I were a wee lad" me and my friends knew how to draw all the drivers helmets and used to spend boring school days drawing what our racing drivers helmet was going to be like. It was something we could identify with and emulate, we used to crudely try to paint our bicycle and motorbike helmets with out designs or with our favourite drivers design (mine was a terrible wonky version of Martin Brundles). I've just ordered a new race helmet and I did my best to match the helmet I bought to what I imagined as a kid that I'd be racing with when I was older.

The only driver helmet I can even picture in my head now is Jensons bright pink tribute to his dad, that's particularly great as its something personal that I think most young racing fans can identify with (looking up to their dads). Before that the only other helmet in recent times I can remember is Michael Schumachers "Red Baron" get up, striking and good humoured.

A good helmet design combined with a retained career number will help kids identify the drivers and give them something to draw/copy. All we need now are some big bold colour schemes for the cars that stick in people minds.
Of course, under the new rules that never would have happened, as it changed mid season, which is what's pretty stupid about this rule.

Fair enough, stop the random change every race Vettel did, but a driver wanting to pay tribute to someone should be allowed. Hell even the country variation some of them did, like Hamilton and Ricciardo in the US, helps reach out to local fan bases etc which can only be good for the sport.

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

Cuky wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:If they want the drivers to be recognisable in their cars then put their numbers where they can be seen. Side pod or rear wing endplates. Easy.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vuaGhr9CBIQ/U ... tus_72.JPG

I agree. Those huge numbers should become mandatory
http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 6665.8.jpg
Not just that, but the size and placement of the numbers should be the same for all teams. There should be regulations that the driver's number should be Xmm x Ymm, and placed at specific spots on the side chassis, top of the nose, top of the driver's helmet, etc so that you can easily see a number at angles you usually see during a race. And since the numbers are on the same spots on each car, you know exactly where to look for them. Just like ANY other sport in existence.

As it is now, driver numbers are like an afterthought, just thrown in somewhere between sponsors or on tiny aero pylons.