2016-2017 chassis and engine rules (proposed)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
godlameroso

Re: 2016-2017 chassis and engine rules (proposed)

So they'll have the same proportions?

Maybe we don't need to speed the cars up, maybe they're just going in accordance to special relativity. They're so fast that they look like they're going slow.
Saishū kōnā

McMrocks
McMrocks

FASTER CARS

How? Cars are to be made 30kg to 50kg lighter, but not with a consequence that drivers would be required to lose weight, nor would special lightweight materials be allowed that would increase costs.

Areas of the car, such as the gearbox and electronics, would be reviewed as places from which weight could be stripped.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118998 (paywall)

Surely the loss of two gears is not enough to make up 30-50kgs. Does electronics mean they're going to drop the ERS power?

Furthermore they should take the wider tyres into account which should be 5-10kg (?) heavier.

Miguel
Miguel

McMrocks wrote:
FASTER CARS

How? Cars are to be made 30kg to 50kg lighter, but not with a consequence that drivers would be required to lose weight, nor would special lightweight materials be allowed that would increase costs.

Areas of the car, such as the gearbox and electronics, would be reviewed as places from which weight could be stripped.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118998 (paywall)

Surely the loss of two gears is not enough to make up 30-50kgs. Does electronics mean they're going to drop the ERS power?

Furthermore they should take the wider tyres into account which should be 5-10kg (?) heavier.
Aren't cars already 10 kg heavier than last year? Plus refuelling should mean a shorter wheelbase and a smaller tank, so that should shave quite a few kilos almost without effort. Is the minimum weight of the ICE still regulated? I know the V10's ended up under 90, and that the V8's had to be 95 Kg, so maybe that's another avenue of improvement.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Sevach
Sevach

This weight hike in F1 is very confusing to me...

95 kg V8 engines= everyone is just fine with 605 kg cars(V8 + Kers everyone screamed, but before Kers no one said a thing).
145 kg V6T Hybrid power units= 690 kgs are not enough(???)

Am i missing something? are the batteries not included in the 145 Kgs?

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Artur Craft wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote: At the moment F1 needs softer tyres and sprint race stints with refueling.

Today's comments by Carlos Sainz and Rafael Marcello were very damaging. This could also be a factor into new manufacturers coming in.
Softer than what they already are? for goodness's sake, please, no. I want a series in which drivers can push all the time and doesn't have to worry about preserving them.
When asked as to what he dislikes about the current F1 tyres, Couasnon said: "Tyres should offer stable performance and grip levels.

"It's not normal that after a few laps a driver says 'I need to slow down otherwise the tyres won't last'.

"That shouldn't happen. These days F1 drivers can't show their talent because the tyres don't allow them to.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118945

What did Sainz and Marciello said, btw?
They'll be carrying less fuel so tyres won't be stressed as much and can afford to be much softer. Also, stint lengths are going to be determined by fuel, not tyres. Cars will be able to push tyres the whole time.

motobaleno

Leaving the teams free to choice the tire compound is in my opinion the most important change.

toraabe
toraabe

WilliamsF1 wrote:
kooleracer wrote:
f1316 wrote:There was that concept floated by Patrick Head and Rory Byrne a few years ago, saying they should go back to ground effect(ish) cars:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/andre ... _quie.html

This was mooted and then dropped for 2013 but wonder why this isn't being thrown into the mix with current discussions? Seems to me that, with more powerful engines too, this would achieve the goals the fia are after - and would likely leave a less turbulent wake/aid overtaking.
F1 should only make the necessary changes to the PU to make them louder, on the chassis side i totally agree with your article. I also think ground effect is the cheapest way to add downforce without creating a lot of drag. Also with ground effect it would guarantee that even the slowest cars would be a lot quicker then GP2 cars or other race series. Also i think the turbulent air is less with ground effect then with all the little vortex generators teams use nowadays.
Those ground effect rules were kind of dropped mainly because of Red Bull who thought they would be carrying their Aero Dominance into the new era.

At the moment F1 needs softer tyres and sprint race stints with refueling. The teams were doing 1.22 s during the testing season in frigid conditions and today the best was 1.25.5 that is just bad. And tomorrow's race they will be running 1.32 laps when with refueling they could be doing 1.24's the whole race.

I think that too much is being spent for looking unspectacular, things got to change other than just the sound.

Today's comments by Carlos Sainz and Rafael Marcello were very damaging. This could also be a factor into new manufacturers coming in.
Ground effect would introduce close racing. But with a ban of rear diffusor behind the rear axle because of dirty air. Another thing is ground effect cars are not so sensible to dirty air..

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

motobaleno wrote:Leaving the teams free to choice the tire compound is in my opinion the most important change.
I agree. Tremors the perception of or actual interference by tyre supplier

will_bmx
will_bmx

I only post on here once in a blue moon, and only when I feel strongly enough to do so. These rule change proposals are one of these occasions.
I am an avid motorsport fan and to be honest, I don't care for people who flit in and out of it who aren't passionate about it. So my view is opinionated and slightly narrow minded but for that said reason.
I didn't realise that they were releasing the proposed rule changes until after I'd replied to a tweet from McLaren asking what changes the fans would like, and I'm happy to say the proposed changes strongly mirror what I, as an avid racing fan, want to see. Mainly, refuelling, improved aero, better tyres, lower car weight. All fantastic to see! this means a better faster car. I personally don't care as much about overtaking as people make out, I'd rather see all the drivers on the limit, sliding on the limit pushing each other rather than cars yo yoing too and fro past each other on DRS. Ironically I don't mind DRS as it just bridges the aero gap that you lose through high speed corners. It is crude but hey.
So this is a positive response from me for once! My only other suggestions would be, keep the fuel limit at 100kg, but allow the manufacturers to choose their own engine/hybrid combination like in WEC! Sack off the fuel flow limit too, the fuel quantity limit surely dictates this to a degree anyway. Then they can play to their own strengths and you'd get different sounds and experiences, plus surely that would kerb some costs if a manufacturer can utilise a strength that they've already got the equipment for?
Also I'd like to see wider tracks again and different tyre widths BUT only if there is a speed advantage, not just for looks, that's just pathetic.
Finally, I'd like to see more of the teams FOM funds being spread down the field, so points down to 15th like Moto GP and put more emphasis on points for prizes? That way the lower teams would have definitely won some more much needed money by now. And, if you really suck that bad that you can't get into the top 15 then tbh you shouldn't be in F1. Williams have always managed to make a fast car at a significantly lower budget that the other teams.
I'm not sure if this is a rant? but yeah haha rant over!
Enjoy Monaco everyone!

will_bmx
will_bmx

OHHHH and choosing tyre compounds is a big win, some cars are better on some compounds, let them utilise this.

proteus

If u open the picture in full size, u can see that 1993 car has the rear packed almost as tight as the modern cars do (without the sculping, due to the poorer understanding of aerodynamics), but the wheelbase is somehow longer for half a meter now. I would like to see, they would introduce shorter wheelbase, to make cars a bit more estetic. Narrower front wings with less surface and choppier rear wings with more of it. No DRs would be the cherry on top of the cake. Speed limiter for virtual safety car, which would limit the top speed of the car to max. 150 km/h for light incidents and 60 or 80 for heavier ones, so the actual safety car would not be needed and the race would continue without stopping it.

If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

proteus

Maybe even back to the 2000mm wideness
Last edited by proteus on 19 May 2015, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

McMrocks
McMrocks

2000mm would be better

proteus

McMrocks wrote:2000mm would be better
Corrected :oops: :)

Henk
Henk

How would they make the cars lighter except for fuel? The teams were already struggling to get to the current minimum. Are there any rules you could add to make certain structures lighter?