F1 overlay drawings

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
michaelclarke

F1 overlay drawings

Hi everyone, I recently bought myself a graphics tablet and downloaded some open source drawing software so I could try to emulate Scarbs, Matt Somerfield and WPT formula with their technical drawings.

Here's my first try:

I chose the W06 because, although all front wings are beautiful, I think the W06 (W05) front wing is a work of art :lol: .

I'm pretty pleased with it, but run out of patience so only drew half. I'd like to eventually draw new aerodynamic developments and analyse them like Scarbs etc. however I fear my technical knowledge is not quite up to scratch.
“Keep learning, you’ll never know everything… Never think you’re the best, because you probably aren’t. And always strive to be the best; that is working hard and keep learning.” – Jensen Button.

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

Re: F1 overlay drawings

Now we want more..especially the back end so we can compare and constrast..good job

turbof1

Ah overlay drawing... something I considered when I started drawing. Unfortunaly it also means missing out on details things behind the cascades, endplate, etc. Overlay drawings are very nice however if you simple want to highlight a particular change or particular object. It doesn't consume nearly as much time as having to figure out the complete wing and correctly drawing its bits, while still also producing nice drawings.

As mentioned, I always analyse complete front wings in one go, requiring me to get every nauseous detail of the wing. From whatever angle you choose to draw, something will always be hidden behind something else. So I have to work with layers, images layered on top of eachother. A painstaking effort, but it gets everything. The good news also is that this method allows me to draw everything from the exact same angle. I could slap a Ferrari endplate on a williams wing and add mercedes' cascades and it would fit perfectly with minimal position adjustment.

In short, When I draw something like this:

I want to be able to dissasemble it to something like this:
(My newer drawings have much more seperate parts then this, btw).

(Sorry for highjacking the thread :P.)

But to get back to your drawing, yes it's very nice indeed! I believe it's more akin to thewptformula's style (I think Scarbs using a live tracing for his drawings, while Matt Somerfield draws with the digital loose hand so to speak).

The only thing you got a bit wrong is the flap adjuster area, but that's completely understandable since that's a very complex piece and very difficult to have your eyes interpret the correct shape.

As you'll probably also have noticed, complex 3D pieces like the very curved upper elements of the mercedes (they are infact not even clear on the photo!) are very, very difficult to draw, either with my or your method. You can try to force the effect with some curved lines in the elements or finetuning the edges, but the only solution guaranteed to always work is shading.
#AeroFrodo

michaelclarke

turbof1 wrote:Ah overlay drawing... something I considered when I started drawing. Unfortunaly it also means missing out on details things behind the cascades, endplate, etc. Overlay drawings are very nice however if you simple want to highlight a particular change or particular object. It doesn't consume nearly as much time as having to figure out the complete wing and correctly drawing its bits, while still also producing nice drawings.

As mentioned, I always analyse complete front wings in one go, requiring me to get every nauseous detail of the wing. From whatever angle you choose to draw, something will always be hidden behind something else. So I have to work with layers, images layered on top of eachother. A painstaking effort, but it gets everything. The good news also is that this method allows me to draw everything from the exact same angle. I could slap a Ferrari endplate on a williams wing and add mercedes' cascades and it would fit perfectly with minimal position adjustment.

In short, When I draw something like this:
http://u.cubeupload.com/turbof1/22bMercedesFW201.jpg

I want to be able to dissasemble it to something like this:
http://u.cubeupload.com/turbof1/dissassemblyfun.jpg
(My newer drawings have much more seperate parts then this, btw).

(Sorry for highjacking the thread :P.)

But to get back to your drawing, yes it's very nice indeed! I believe it's more akin to thewptformula's style (I think Scarbs using a live tracing for his drawings, while Matt Somerfield draws with the digital loose hand so to speak).

The only thing you got a bit wrong is the flap adjuster area, but that's completely understandable since that's a very complex piece and very difficult to have your eyes interpret the correct shape.

As you'll probably also have noticed, complex 3D pieces like the very curved upper elements of the mercedes (they are infact not even clear on the photo!) are very, very difficult to draw, either with my or your method. You can try to force the effect with some curved lines in the elements or finetuning the edges, but the only solution guaranteed to always work is shading.
Highjacking is very much appreciated, and thanks for insight!

The layered idea is very interesting and one that I'll definitely try and use as the next set of aerodynamic developments come around (hopefully in the Barcelona test).

Yes the flap adjust was very hard to make out as the base image became very pixelated as I zoomed in, a bit too much jpeg going on I think haha. I just had a look at it from some better images and I can now confirm my seahorse-shaped adjuster is not completely accurate!

Thanks again, I'll keep everyone updated with how it's going.
“Keep learning, you’ll never know everything… Never think you’re the best, because you probably aren’t. And always strive to be the best; that is working hard and keep learning.” – Jensen Button.

turbof1

Yes the flap adjust was very hard to make out as the base image became very pixelated as I zoomed in, a bit too much jpeg going on I think haha. I just had a look at it from some better images and I can now confirm my seahorse-shaped adjuster is not completely accurate!
It's a complex structure where the flad adjuster starts at the base of the middle flap and works up to the upper flaps. However, it joins at the base of the second highest flap with a strip/strake.

The angle of the photo definitely did not do you any favours :P. A lot got hidden behind the turning vane cascade and the strake is that thin you can barely notice it.
#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

The easiest way is simply to have three layers,

car image
layer with all the lines.
completely white layer set to zero opacity.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SiLo

Draw all separate components using a new layer for each and just name the layer. For symmetrical drawings it means you can literally duplicate the layer, mirror it and move it across to line up and will be a perfect copy of the other side. It can also show you if the image is either not perfectly lined up, or if the car possible has some asymmetry going on.

Also, blow up the images until they are HUGE, like really big. Then draw your lines over it using the pen tool and stroke etc. This will then give you a much better quality image when shrunk, and the opportunity to print into posters!
Felipe Baby!

turbof1

SiLo wrote:Draw all separate components using a new layer for each and just name the layer. For symmetrical drawings it means you can literally duplicate the layer, mirror it and move it across to line up and will be a perfect copy of the other side. It can also show you if the image is either not perfectly lined up, or if the car possible has some asymmetry going on.

Also, blow up the images until they are HUGE, like really big. Then draw your lines over it using the pen tool and stroke etc. This will then give you a much better quality image when shrunk, and the opportunity to print into posters!
To give a reference point about image size: I use 800x600 pixels for the front wings.

Definitely name the layers. Else you'll end with "layer 1, layer 2, layer 3, etc.", which makes it a very tedious task to figure out which layer has the part you want to edit. Or worse: editing a part on the wrong layer (happened so many times to me in the past).

Also a good tip: for corrections, don't edit the current layer, but add a new layer right on top and make changes there. When finished, whipe out the old lines (the old layer) beneath the new lines and merge the layers. It's much easier since you don't have to worry about accurate whiping.
#AeroFrodo

PlatinumZealot

The thing with the line style overlays is the barriers to entry are low so there are a lot of people doing it now. Scarbs was not the first to do it for Formula IIRC but I think he was the most popular guy doing it.

I rather the Giorgio Piola paintings on formula1.com. They are the caviar of overlay drawings/paintings, while these single liners are like Mcdonald's. They can be quickly produced and they get the job done but not something you spend time to savour.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

michaelclarke

Thanks everyone for constructive crititicism etc :D
PlatinumZealot wrote:The thing with the line style overlays is the barriers to entry are low so there are a lot of people doing it now. Scarbs was not the first to do it for Formula IIRC but I think he was the most popular guy doing it.

I rather the Giorgio Piola paintings on formula1.com. They are the caviar of overlay drawings/paintings, while these single liners are like Mcdonald's. They can be quickly produced and they get the job done but not something you spend time to savour.
Atm I'm enjoying drawing the single liners, it's relaxing compared to uni work haha. IMO there is something nice about simplifying the complexity of the front wing to a series of lines; it definitely helps me to understand and recognise small changes.

Maybe as I get better I could add a splash of colour.

michaelclarke

Here's the newest instalment; thanks turbof1 and SiLo for help and tips.

I went with the layer idea in the end. It's hard to estimate the shape of the wing elements underneath the cascade (there's some unfinished business under there) but on the whole it's much more refined than before.

I should also mention it is unfinished, I plan to go back to the front suspension and brake ducts, as well as the other side of the FW.

Moose
Moose

michaelclarke wrote:Here's the newest instalment; thanks turbof1 and SiLo for help and tips.

I went with the layer idea in the end. It's hard to estimate the shape of the wing elements underneath the cascade (there's some unfinished business under there) but on the whole it's much more refined than before.

I should also mention it is unfinished, I plan to go back to the front suspension and brake ducts, as well as the other side of the FW.

https://i.imgur.com/6Nh9VO4.png
I think this looks great! The one thing I would say about it though is not to lose sight of the fact that you're trying to make the shapes clear. Emphasise some lines so that this doesn't become just as complex looking as the actual wing.

michaelclarke

Moose wrote:
michaelclarke wrote:Here's the newest instalment; thanks turbof1 and SiLo for help and tips.

I think this looks great! The one thing I would say about it though is not to lose sight of the fact that you're trying to make the shapes clear. Emphasise some lines so that this doesn't become just as complex looking as the actual wing.
Thanks Moose, that's a very good point. It's going to be a fine line to judge which ones to emphasize, but I'll try some things out. I had just commented saying how I liked the relative simplicity of line drawings as well!

turbof1

Very nice job. Yes, the shapes of the elements behind the endplate and cascades are difficult to spot. Luckily we are a community, and so you don't have to figure everything out on your own:
I hope that helps! The upper element has a very peculiar shape where it's a bit more seperate from the element in front. Also keep in mind F1 teams use gurney tabs in very complex and difficult to see ways, especially on the uppermost element.
#AeroFrodo

SiLo

If I had the time I would draw my own as well. Alas, the last things I drew were technical drawings of a lotus elise and a cobra!
Felipe Baby!