Brooklands Restoration

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Brooklands Restoration

Lottery has been used to fund many thing but first time hearing of it being used for funding motorsport activity
The first purpose-built racing circuit, Brooklands in Surrey, UK is set to be rebuilt to its former glory. The current circuit has not been used since the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939, and the legendary banking has deteriorated over time. But it was announced yesterday that lottery funding will be used to restore the track to the legendary status which it once held.

Part of the old circuit is currently being taken up by the Brooklands museum but the World War 2 Hangar is set to be moved and rebuilt, allowing for the track to form its original shape and of course to allow some racing on it!
If the idea takes off then maybe a new idea for host countries to raise money to pay BE for a race

Facts Only
Facts Only

Re: Lottery Funding

Interesting, where is that story from?

I always thought it was odd that while things old petrol stations, houses and barns are given listed status and sometimes restored using lottery money the worlds very first "Race Track" which is a notable part of British history has been left to decay.

Won't MB world and the hotel be in the infield? Maybe Mercedes are contributing some money as well?
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

FW17

turbof1

Be careful with such topic titles. It's easy to confuse it for spam. I was coming in this thread ready to delete it.
#AeroFrodo

FW17

turbof1 wrote:Be careful with such topic titles. It's easy to confuse it for spam. I was coming in this thread ready to delete it.

Change it then :D

Anything with oval in the title is also considered spam here

turbof1

WilliamsF1 wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Be careful with such topic titles. It's easy to confuse it for spam. I was coming in this thread ready to delete it.

Change it then :D

Anything with oval in the title is also considered spam here
To what :P? The topic title is appropiate, it's just something you'd automatically would tag as spam :P. God knows how many messages I got from "Alberto Innocencio, the contact from the Spanish Lottery".

Edit: well changed it a little bit.
#AeroFrodo

ian_s

arent there houses on parts of the old track though?

adrianjordan

Re: Race Funding, by Lottery

Didn't James May already do this....with Scalextric :p
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Richard
Richard

Re: Brooklands Restoration

I've updated the title. Lottery funding is not being used to fund motor racing.

The UK National Lottery was set up to fund good causes, one part of it is the "Heritage Lottery Fund" which awards grants to restore old buildings. This fund has given a grant to help restore a plane museum at Brooklands that used to be a plane factory located on the race track. The project is going to dismantle and repair the building and to rebuild it to one side. This means part of the race track will no longer be blocked. Most of the circuit will still be covered by buildings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-31491554