2015 Testing Comparative Performance Speculation Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Racewatcher
Racewatcher

Re: 2015 Testing Comparative Performance Speculation Thread

I think the real key to seeing who is quick is to look at individual sector times. If a team is sandbagging their lap times, they may still show a glimpse of true pace in particular sectors. Anyone who wants to analyse that could then see if mercedes is doing any really quick sectors, but then slowing to show a mediocre lap time.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Racewatcher wrote:I think the real key to seeing who is quick is to look at individual sector times. If a team is sandbagging their lap times, they may still show a glimpse of true pace in particular sectors. Anyone who wants to analyse that could then see if mercedes is doing any really quick sectors, but then slowing to show a mediocre lap time.
As possible with the use of DRS, or lack of it.

Belatti
Belatti

WaikeCU wrote:hiding your true pace is making your opponents think they are doing a great job.
True, Mercedes are playing a Fangio´s
Five times World Champion Juan Manuel Fangio famously said that the objective is to win the race at the slowest possible speed
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Artur Craft

Racewatcher wrote:I think the real key to seeing who is quick is to look at individual sector times. If a team is sandbagging their lap times, they may still show a glimpse of true pace in particular sectors. Anyone who wants to analyse that could then see if mercedes is doing any really quick sectors, but then slowing to show a mediocre lap time.
Tobias Grüner AMuS @tgruener Follow

#F1 Barcelona testing data. Best sector times - team comparison. AMuS (in German):
http://ams.to/barcasectors

Vasconia

Artur Craft wrote:
Tobias Grüner AMuS @tgruener Follow

#F1 Barcelona testing data. Best sector times - team comparison. AMuS (in German):
http://ams.to/barcasectors

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_UzMhMU0AA90x-.png
Very interesting data though its quite hard to believe that RB are so far from the top and that Sauber has a so good car.

I share the opinion that Mercedes will hidde some potention because of the reliability issues, the fear of suffering a rule change and the aim to achive a lot of 1-2 before they let their drivers fight freely for the WC.

mclaren111

Not sure if right place to ask, but here goes.

Anybody know if current engine is faster from 0 to 100 km/h (0 to 60 mp/h) than the V8's ?

Phil

I think the biggest factor in 0-62mph are grip and tyres, not necessarely engine power / torque / gearing. If you want a better picture of comparing the V6 turbos against the V8, you need a wider acceleration range (0-200kmh), where I do think, yes, they are faster.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

SectorOne

0-300+ i would say they are faster, not sure about the other two.
Same tires and weight i think a V6 car would easily beat a V8 machine in all straight line tests.

Either way, the V6 engine with the added ERS system is a complete monster of a powerunit.
Bumping these up to 1000 horses is insanity. Good insanity :)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Juzh

V6 is faster in every way. V8s can barely keep up to 200 kmh in quali mode with kers and drs. V6 needs neither and can do same 0-200 time on race fuel. After 200 it's no contest.

Moose
Moose

Phil wrote:I think the biggest factor in 0-62mph are grip and tyres, not necessarely engine power / torque / gearing. If you want a better picture of comparing the V6 turbos against the V8, you need a wider acceleration range (0-200kmh), where I do think, yes, they are faster.
Yep, 0-60 is ideal for comparing family sedans, because they're not grip limited with their (comparatively) tiny engines, but by the time you have an engine the size of an F1 car's in there you're going to be traction limited all the way. Hence the reason the rallycross car shown on TopGear last night could do 0-60 in 1.2 seconds, while an F1 car will take 2 seconds - the rallycross car has 4 wheel drive.

Artur Craft

Juzh wrote:V6 is faster in every way. V8s can barely keep up to 200 kmh in quali mode with kers and drs. V6 needs neither and can do same 0-200 time on race fuel. After 200 it's no contest.
At best, these V6s are around 700HP without ERS, because they are turbo, I would say they do have a better torque/power curve but I'm not convinced that it would be enough to beat a 750HP V8, nevermind with race fuel onboard. Do you have data to back that up, please?

Juzh

Artur Craft wrote:
Juzh wrote:V6 is faster in every way. V8s can barely keep up to 200 kmh in quali mode with kers and drs. V6 needs neither and can do same 0-200 time on race fuel. After 200 it's no contest.
At best, these V6s are around 700HP without ERS, because they are turbo, I would say they do have a better torque/power curve but I'm not convinced that it would be enough to beat a 750HP V8, nevermind with race fuel onboard. Do you have data to back that up, please?
Yes, I did do some quick data gathering some time ago:
Firstly, I did a frame by frame of hamilton's abu dhabi start:
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 58#p554858

Then I did frame by frame on a mclaren from 2013:

Yes, this is slightly uphill. However, it is also in monaco quali spec with shortest gearing of the season + drs + kers, resulting in a pretty much fastest acceleration any V8 f1 car could ever manage, and yet V6t can do same 100-200 on 692kg + race fuel while still being somewhat traction limited off the line.

And lastly, there's this side by side I also did:

Keep an eye on the speedos and throttle positions coming out of the 1st chicane. RB7 is on full power earlier + using kers + using DRS, yet W06 is faster to 200 and 300 even without drs. And we know how powerful drs becomes after ~250.

There's just no denying pure power advantage current turbos have over the V8s.

Juzh

Artur Craft wrote:
Juzh wrote: V6 needs neither
I misphrased. V6t needs ers to assist of course. It's just that it's a seamless operation now

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

David Coulthard was amazed at how the V6T accelerated. He stated that he'd never driven a car that accelerated as hard and this is a guy who has raced V10, V8 and driven the V6T.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.