F1 safety after Alonso's accident

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Edax

Re: f1 safety in light of Alonso accident

Tim.Wright wrote:People make great conductors if the voltage is high enough and the little racesuits won't do anything to stop it because they aren't designed to be electrically insulating.

Just to clarify, I think the shock theory is unlikely I'm just taking exception to your statement that "there is no way electrocution could have happened either way" which isn't true.
Just because something is not designed for it does not mean it does not work. The driver is covered head to toe in insulating material. On top of that he is sitting on a non-conducting foam seat, inside a carbon tub, which is suspended from the ground by a set of chunky rubber wheels and a wooden plank.

I don't know how much safer you can get from electricity. You can probly crash this thing into a high voltage station and still be OK (electricity wise).

Tim.Wright

Yes, and in a malfunction, it is possible that the driver is included in the circuit... I don't see what so hard to understand about this.

A wire comes loose and lights up the whole car - its unlikely but not impossible as you seem to think.

I can assure you that racing gloves won't do squat if you close a 400V circuit
Not the engineer at Force India

Manoah2u

George-Jung wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:... if you put his nose in the socket and the rest is hovering, nothing happens. thus, though it can conduct, there still needs to be a electrical circuit to conduct....
Isn't it also important how high you are hovering.. because a spark could also create an electrical circuit?
no. a spark only comes from actual contact. a feather wouldn't even cause current, only it's feet or it's actual bum.
unless, offcourse we're talking about 100,000's of volts with high amps. but let's keep it real.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

Tim.Wright wrote:Yes, and in a malfunction, it is possible that the driver is included in the circuit... I don't see what so hard to understand about this.

A wire comes loose and lights up the whole car - its unlikely but not impossible as you seem to think.

I can assure you that racing gloves won't do squat if you close a 400V circuit
it's hard to understand because you refuse to read the links or/and refuse to understand how electric currents work.

there can be dozens of wires loose. the driver still is not part of an electric current.
racing gloves work perfectly 'grabbing/touching' an [exposed] 400v circuit. go ahead and grab a fence wire with winter gloves on. nothing happens. Apart from that, racing gloves cannot close a 400v circuit because racing gloves don't conduct thus can't close a circuit. that's the point about a closed circuit; current can only flow through a closed circuit. push a shoelace or rope from one contact to the other and nothing happens. push either end of a scissor in it and see the mayhem. that's because rope does not conduct electricity but steel does [scissor].

seriously, just read the links.

http://www.saferacer.com/alpinestars-20 ... ing-gloves

isolated or what?

and another one; Formula E drivers are not electrocuted or prone to electrocution dangers, yet Alonso's mclaren is? :roll:
Last edited by Manoah2u on 04 Mar 2015, 01:50, edited 3 times in total.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

NaSku

So lets say that the battery got discharged in an unsafe way. That means that the safety system would detect that. Witch means that the saftey light that is on top of the roll foop would be RED and it would stay RED.

bdr529

Pierce89 wrote: There was a hockey player a few years back got one and was out for 1 year, he lived in his basement for half a year because to much light gave him sever migraines, players that are out the longest because of repeat concussions, all complain about the migraines
I'm assuming you're referring to Crosby?[/quote]

No Patrice Bergeron - Boston Bruins when he missed the entire 2007-08 season, I didn't realize it's been that long.
but the Sidney Crosby(2011) one shows how careful they really have to be, he had 3 or 4 days between the two hits

turbof1

Topic's first post:
What do you think caused this outcome? A concrete wall surely contributed, but is it possible that F1 cockpit protection is not as effective on the angle of Alonso's crash?
Could crash structures be modified to improve their performance for a wider angle? The relatively small damage to the car means there was less energy dissipation, can it be that suspension arms are too stiff and do not dissipate energy efficiently?
Current discussion (nothing personal Tim Wright, just took a quote at random):
Everything is a conductor to some degree, even the human body;
#AeroFrodo

Manoah2u

turbof1 wrote:
Topic's first post:
What do you think caused this outcome? A concrete wall surely contributed, but is it possible that F1 cockpit protection is not as effective on the angle of Alonso's crash?
Could crash structures be modified to improve their performance for a wider angle? The relatively small damage to the car means there was less energy dissipation, can it be that suspension arms are too stiff and do not dissipate energy efficiently?
Indeed, it seems suspension arms are stiff in such a manner that they won't dissipate energy enough in the freak case of a complete side wheel-to-concrete wall situation. perhaps there would be an improvement if atleast 2 or 3 connecting bolts will snap under a certain load/shock.

I must say i've been surprised sometimes how easy the suspension can snap from slight contact, and how sometimes cars that nearly fly [or literally fly] seem to have no genuine problem.

Richard

At least this has been a technical conversation about electricity, such a relief from random "proof' offered in some of the press.

Moderator's adjudication is final, so I'll get on with some adjudicating!

Yes electricity does need a path, but it does not need to be to the ground, it just needs to be something that bridges two elements with different electric potential. This was Tim's point.

So if the ERS with high potential somehow manages to touch something which has a path to the tub and seat then the driver will be at that high potential. Then lets say the steering wheel is isolated from the tub due to the bearings but the paddles are earthed to the ECU at low potential. Then if the driver joins the seat to teh steering wheel there is a route between the two through the driver. The high potential of the ERS passes though the driver's suit and gloves. However the low potential ERS would burn out in an instant, hence likely to not be enough current to cause injury. Remember current kills, not volts.

So yes it is possible to form a theoretical path, but it is barely conceivable in practice. (Manoah2u's point)

Obviously the marshals are at much higher risk because they don't have the bird on a wire advantage the driver enjoys in most conceivable circumstances. Hence the light that warns marshals that the ERS is at high potential.

All comments in this thread agree electrocution is near impossible and there is no evidence to support it.

So lets move on and get back to talking about the impact.

Edax

turbof1 wrote:Topic's first post:
I think F1 has a very good place to test lateral crashes so we have plenty of comparison material.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rdd5bNF_20

Looking back at these video's I do get the feeling that the suspension got a lot stronger. It is hard to quantify based on pictures. But If you look at the suspension arms of the BAR that crashed the same race and todays McLaren then it does seem that the suspension arms are beefier and better angled to withstand a lateral impact.

Another indication would be the amount of suspension failures due to impact with a wall or a car. I have no numbers so this makes it subjective, but I have the idea that suspension failures are becoming more rare. And if they fail it is often just one member like an upright or the connection at the wheel which fails, not a collapse of the complete structure.

Jolle

Edax wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Topic's first post:
I think F1 has a very good place to test lateral crashes so we have plenty of comparison material.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rdd5bNF_20

Looking back at these video's I do get the feeling that the suspension got a lot stronger. It is hard to quantify based on pictures. But If you look at the suspension arms of the BAR that crashed the same race and todays McLaren then it does seem that the suspension arms are beefier and better angled to withstand a lateral impact.

http://richardsf1.com/wp-content/upload ... AR1999.jpg
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/ima ... cgr4t5.jpg

Another indication would be the amount of suspension failures due to impact with a wall or a car. I have no numbers so this makes it subjective, but I have the idea that suspension failures are becoming more rare. And if they fail it is often just one member like an upright or the connection at the wheel which fails, not a collapse of the complete structure.
nice post, thanks for that overhead shot, that's a very rigid point.

probably the entire field had to be made 'maldonado-proof' :mrgreen: ok but seriously, they indeed seem much stronger than before. Interestingly, i remember there were so many comments on how Formula E cars were so fragile at the suspension - personally i agree to a certain point, but i also think we're accostumed to the 'rigidness' of F1 cars.

Stronger suspension i think has been the result of a combination of factors; Singapore being a good example. I remember the curbs there launching cars, resulting in back issues and indeed also some suspension failures. After a couple of years there, it seems suspension has been made more rigid to be able to withstand this stuff. I remember Alonso @ Abu Dhabi i believe 2 years ago? Going really fast off the track and taking a curb which made him fly and slam on the track.
Surprisingly, the car was intact whilst i believe everybody expected this thing to fall apart.
Instead, the only thing hurt was Alonso's back, and the G-sensor also hit a spike.

Perhaps F1's suspension and 'rigidness' is becoming more of a safety issue to the drivers where the cars are so strongly built that the driver gets the punishment instead. Nobody wants flying wheels and noses, but nobody wants drivers getting hurt from 'stronger' cars either. Perhaps the side impact structures also play a role in overall structural rigidness, but i'm not certain on that one.

The materials used nowadays for so many aspects of the car itself probably are more durable and stronger compared to, let's say, 10 years ago. This includes driveshafts, springs, suspension arms, gearbox, and probably more important ; the entire combination of this all. It could play a crucial role in energy transfer.

Let's, in extremes, take a copper [i have no clue if it's ever been used that way, but that's not the point, it's an example] driveshaft, with plastic suspension arms. When this combination hits the wall, the copper bends and the suspension arms break. The energy thus will not transfer through the mounting points or the gearbox to the rest of the vehicle, thus no big G forces to the rest of the vehicle.
You could say the car is able to 'flex' more.

Now let's replace this copper drivershaft and these plastic suspension arms with 'high-grade' super-enstrenghtend carbon fibre materials [never mind the reason, pick one, like more constant mechanical grip]. The car hits at the same speed at the same angle the same wall. However, because the material is much stronger, it's 'snapping' point is far higher, and the material's nature holds that it is not flexible. Instead, where the driveshaft would 'bend', and the suspension arm would break, it now gets the shock/energy transferred in the form of a moving 'shockwave' through the material where it seeks to find a way 'out'; through the rest of the machine > resulting in far higher G-spikes.

Seems to me, the search for technological advancement and benefit has reached such a level that the side results have been [hopefully and possibly] accidentally overlooked or underestimated.

The solution?

Imho, i can't imagine it being so hard; there's plenty of data around on material 'break' point [math and science] so imho it should be fairly easy to calculate a maximal acceptable G-shock for the suspension arms/rods/wheel mounts, and mandate that the material breaks or fails at a certain level of energy transfer.
This would take energy away from the driver and 'absorb' a potential crash, too.

Let's for example say that 1 or 2 mounting 'joints' of the suspension arms [on each 'tub'] have this 'break point' installed which would make it snap off, absorbing the energy thus protecting the driver, whilst not totally having the suspension snap off so that there will not be flying wheels.

how does that sound?[/quote]

The wishbones are indeed very strong, with very strong pickup points, and in McLarens case they are very horizontal so all energy almost goes directly into the tub. But from the wishbones to the wall there is also a big bit of magnesium (rim), aluminium (the hub) and rubber (the tire). With a big blow, the rim would have caved. From pics it looks like that the front tire isn't even deflated and the rear rim got severed by grinding along the wall. With a big impact the rim would collaps (or the hub), the sticky rubber from the deflated tire would get caught between wall and rim/hub and would shear off the front suspension and act like a crash structure. Or Alonso is so incredibly unlucky that he hit the wall 3 or 4 times bang on the rim, with the wheel flat to the wall without long enough contact to deflate or catch the well with the tire, or he didn't hit the wall that hard....

strad

Re: F1 safety after Alonso's accident

A sudden stop or change in direction can cause the brain to slam into the inside of the skull and thus a concussion, and if it's bad enough you do not want a repeat too soon after. It's as simple as that.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bdr529

Re: F1 safety after Alonso's accident

strad wrote:A sudden stop or change in direction can cause the brain to slam into the inside of the skull and thus a concussion, and if it's bad enough you do not want a repeat too soon after. It's as simple as that.
There is a test to help prevent athletes from going back to soon after a concussion " SCAT 2 test concussion baseline test"
It is a series of neurocognitive tests to find individual athletes baseline level so that we have scores to compare with anytime we suspect the athlete of having a concussion or when the athlete is ready to return to play post concussion.
The SCAT 2 test also contains the Maddocks questionnaire for sideline concussion assessment.

Here in Canada, hockey players at the beginning of the season complete the test online, they also hope to collect enough data to help in the research in concussion prevention and better methods in treatment
If anyone wants to look at it
Sport Concussion Assessment Tool 2(SCAT2)
http://www.cces.ca/files/pdfs/SCAT2%5B1%5D.pdf

R_Redding

oops ... just saw Richards declaration..

My views on gloves and insulation are here..
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 72#p565872

lebesset

R_Redding wrote:oops ... just saw Richards declaration..

My views on gloves and insulation are here..
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 72#p565872
now you are just trying to stop this discussion using facts !
what chance have you got if so many won't accept that blood tests show that alonso didn't get an electric shock !
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be