No Energy recovery V6 Turbo F1 2016?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Mciracer

No Energy recovery V6 Turbo F1 2016?

What do you guys think of this concept, to do away with energy recovery for now and just run a V6 Turbo.
IMO after the disaster that was the first race we need some simple things back into F1, if the most complicated part on the car is a Turbo with the ICE customer teams would be much much closer to the top by default.

At least the drivers will be able to just drive without the Kinetic affecting braking.

Juzh

Re: No Energy recovery V6 Turbo F1 2016?

Why stop there? Lets go all the way and bring back V12 of the early 90's and do this properly.

f1316

Personally I don't think they need to throw the baby out with the bath water. I'm more disappointed with the sound this year than last for some reason but I think it makes sense to just improve what we have.

For me, we need to look at the public perception:

- sophisticated energy recovery does seem to garner interest in general motoring press; the latest super mega cars from Ferrari, Porsche and mclaren create a lot of excitement, as does the bmw hybrid. My opinion is that this aspect is interesting to the general public
- but it works when the overall impression created is, well, impressive; the lack of sound belies the huge power being created from such a small capacity engine
- what I haven't really heard any great fanfare for anywhere is the fact that the cars use very little fuel; frankly, no one seems to give a sh*t

So, whilst I am far from the first to suggest it, the above reasons are, I believe, quite compelling arguments to drop the fuel flow limit, up the fuel limit a bit. Keep the sophisticated cleverness but make sure the impression it creates is no longer so underwhelming.

ScottB

The key is to stop messing about with the rules every 5 minutes. Keep the engine regs stable and things will even out in time.

You'd also be dropping a fairly hefty chunk of horsepower.

And yeah, the sheer failure at promoting the hybrid technology is an issue, Formula E has done a decent job of that, despite being relatively rather wasteful (2 cars a race!), while F1 spent all last year moaning about noise and claiming to only be interested in appealing to old men.

Vettel Maggot

F1 has tried to be 'sophisticated' and 'clever' with these new hybrids and look at the mess F1 is in now. No one bar the bigger teams has any money, yesterday was quite frankly embarrassing seeing cars breaking down on the way to the grid. We are talking Honda and Renault here, if they cannot get it right then is F1 too complex for its own good at the moment? F1 doesn't have big tobacco money anymore that would allow unlimited testing/unlimited engines per year which isn't making it any easier.

At the end of the day it is entertainment and after reading many different comments below articles on many different sites I don't think too many people were entertained yesterday. If people keep turning off and not showing up to the tracks then F1 risks being even more irrelevant than it already is.

Lets be honest, who cares how much less fuel the cars used than in previous years? That is quickly cancelled out by the myriad of engineers/freight etc flown all around the world burning tonnes of A1 Jet fuel!

Andres125sx

Looks like most of you think F1 has usually been a series where there was no failures...... Where did you get that idea?

F1 has always pushed every limit, not just driving, but designing too. Failures have always been quite usual. It´s only on last season with the engine freeze when failures have almost dissapeared

What do you prefer, a series with no develpment and most cars finishing the race?

Or a series with development wich push any limit, evolve technology and also suffer from failures due to this development?

I do prefer second option hands down, it would be embarrasing if we were talking about GP2 where there´s no develpmet, but talking about F1 it´s normal to see failures, it´s the cost of innovation

proteus

There was a reduction of engine volume for reducing power output, so the cars are slower and safer. But why do u need to reduce the number of cylinders and engine volume, if u can change the fuel configuration. I think it would be more interesting to keep 3.0 litres engines with 12 cylinders if they want to use, and use diffferent spec. of fuel. Make a mixture of 50% of standard high performance fuel and other 50% of standardised natural aditives, which would decrease the engine power, due to lower combustion power. + u give a GREEN INICIATIVE which is so popular now....engines would be cheaper to produce, and probably more manufacturers would return
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

FW17

I think an Open Class (as in MotoGP) be allowed to hybrid system which will be a simple V6 with KERS unlimited

New manufactures would find it much easier to enter the Open Class then step it up to a full assault