2015 German GP - DEAD..............

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Moose
Moose

Re: 2015 German GP - DEAD..............

I'm actually kinda stunned that Spa makes a loss, and any circuit makes a profit.

The track is one of the largest (in terms of area covered, and hence area to sit and stand). It's generally packed absolutely full (I know we ended up a long way from the track when we went, despite being there pretty early in the morning), and it's not like the tickets are on the low end of the scale.

The only thing going against them is that they don't have huge amounts of formal grandstands which make the largest ticket money.

If Spa can't make a profit on their race, then that implies to me that it's basically impossible to make a profit by hosting an F1 race - you need a subsidy from somewhere.

ScottB
ScottB

Moose wrote:I'm actually kinda stunned that Spa makes a loss, and any circuit makes a profit.

The track is one of the largest (in terms of area covered, and hence area to sit and stand). It's generally packed absolutely full (I know we ended up a long way from the track when we went, despite being there pretty early in the morning), and it's not like the tickets are on the low end of the scale.

The only thing going against them is that they don't have huge amounts of formal grandstands which make the largest ticket money.

If Spa can't make a profit on their race, then that implies to me that it's basically impossible to make a profit by hosting an F1 race - you need a subsidy from somewhere.
Essentially you're right. Race fees have been inflated by all the cash rich nations that have arrived and been willing to throw money at hosting a race, either to try and improve their image on the global stage, attract tourism / business or a show of strength to their populations. Those races won't make profit, but their patrons won't care.

Of all the races I'd suspect Singapore might make a profit, because it seems to be up there with Monaco in terms of corporate guests, but yeah, the rest will be floating between terrifying loses to struggling to break even (Monaco excepted, since it doesn't pay, presumably).

If you could start the whole thing over from scratch, and stop pouring vast quantities of the sports income out of the sport to CVC, you could easily have a situation were the teams and the tracks are able to make a reasonable living for themselves. Football is often thrown around in discussions about F1 finance, could you imagine the English Premiership sides being happy to give away something like 40% of their income? Madness! But then those teams seem able to come together without backstabbing each other when it's time to negotiate commercial deals and the like.

djos

The Race Fees are the problem, Bernie just got too greedy!!!

Even Melbourne which is one of the best attended GP's, and routinely records attendances over the the 4 day's of 300,000+, can't make a profit!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-28/m ... ud/4918202
(the same article says F1 cost $50 Mil per year vs $6 Mill for MotoGP ... imo bike are boring as but that is still a top flight event)

And tickets aren't exactly expensive either compared with other events, you can take your whole family to the sunday for $199 aud General Admin!

I almost went this year but had 40th b'day stuff on, anyway it was only going to cost me $325 for a 4 day grandstand pass including pit walk and a bunch of minor goodies (thru motoring org RACV).
"In downforce we trust"

Moxie
Moxie

http://www.totalsportek.com/f1/race-fee ... rand-prix/

Just look at the acceleration of fees, holy cannoli!!!

djos

Moxie wrote:http://www.totalsportek.com/f1/race-fee ... rand-prix/

Wow!!!
But Delta Topca (parent F1 company) gets all the <snip>, track side advertising and hospitality revenue, having said that some of the tracks are allowed to have their own advertising banners etc but they have to pay extra fee to f1.
How the bloody hell are the circuits supposed to make any money when Bernie is grabbing all the cream too???
"In downforce we trust"

CBeck113
CBeck113

djos wrote:

Wow!!!
But Delta Topca (parent F1 company) gets all the <snip>, track side advertising and hospitality revenue, having said that some of the tracks are allowed to have their own advertising banners etc but they have to pay extra fee to f1.
How the bloody hell are the circuits supposed to make any money when Bernie is grabbing all the cream too???
They aren't there to earn money, they are the middle man so that CVC can indirectly pump the national governments for money - name a better source for your income.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

dans79

djos wrote: How the bloody hell are the circuits supposed to make any money when Bernie is grabbing all the cream too???
lol, now you see why so many of us have an almost irrational hatred for Bernie!
197 104 103 7

Gaz.
Gaz.

djos wrote:

Wow!!!
Had they worked together at the end of 2012 then the tracks would have been far better off, over half the tracks including the alternating venues and those with the grade 1 certificate were in negotiations with FOM at some point in 2012. Did they work together? Nope, each venue negotiated separately so the status quo remains.
Forza Jules

djos

Yep, Bernie is the master of divide and conquer!
"In downforce we trust"

cossie
cossie

dans79 wrote:
djos wrote: How the bloody hell are the circuits supposed to make any money when Bernie is grabbing all the cream too???
lol, now you see why so many of us have an almost irrational hatred for Bernie!
I still believe Bernie and Tony George are related. Stays here

SiLo

Didn't realise the fees rise that much. Who in their right mind would agree to such an awful contract? If the contracts are that bad, its not the fool selling them, its the fool saying yes...
Felipe Baby!

Andres125sx

SiLo wrote:Didn't realise the fees rise that much. Who in their right mind would agree to such an awful contract? If the contracts are that bad, its not the fool selling them, its the fool saying yes...
You mean we final users?

Bernie ask for a irrational fee -> F1 track/TV channel accept -> They raise the prices to pay the irrational fees and make some profit -> We fans pay the tickets/tv costs to watch F1 despite those irrational prices

So it´s we final users who are the fools saying yes :wink:

Reality is there will always be people paying irrational prices, it´s just a matter of how elitist you want the sport to become.

Bernie seems to be fine no matter how elitist it become. The only problem he´s missing is sponsors disagree with that politics, and even if he continue making money with lower audiences paying higher prices, sponsors do prefer lower prices and higher audiences, so they´re losing interest on F1 as Bernie want it to be

No sponsors -> no money -> no teams -> no F1.

Bernie lost perspective some decades ago, I´m looking forward to see if someone restart the paralel championship idea

Moxie
Moxie

Andres125sx wrote:

Bernie lost perspective some decades ago, I´m looking forward to see if someone restart the paralel championship idea

Since 2008 Indycar has had races in Canada, Brazil, Australia and Japan. I would not consider this a parallel championship, but I suspect that Indycar is looking to capitalize on the decline of F1. These international races give the organization and individual teams experience in moving across boarders with all of the related transportation and customs issues. Furthermore, relationships with track operators, local sponsors and vendors will also be built. If the Canadian, Brazillian, Japanese, or Australian F1 races "die" I suspect Indycar will jump right in to fill the void. I am interested to see if Indycar attempts to fill the void left in Germany. I hope so.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Moxie wrote:
I am interested to see if Indycar attempts to fill the void left in Germany. I hope so.
No chance unfortunately. Indycar struggle to break even in America, let alone flying halfway around the world for a race nobody would attend.

cossie
cossie

Indy car trying to pouch venues from Bernie. Never going to happen. Hell indy cars has never made profit, and they cannot get a race at road America because their sanctioning fees are worse than Bernies. The cars are ugly as hell. just blow it up and start overu