Spa - speedbumps

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
F1NAC

Spa - speedbumps

I was wondering how bad can be this latest modification in eau rogue

ian_s

Re: Spa - speedbumps

why is it bad? it penalizes drivers cutting the corner making them actually use the track.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

ian_s wrote:why is it bad? it penalizes drivers cutting the corner making them actually use the track.
It will unblance any car that goes across it - think Fisichella, Zanardi, Zonta, Villeneuve... every chance these could get a car airborne.

Tim.Wright

Good, I'm a fan of anything that will f**k up a car if the driver gets too greedy at the apex.
Not the engineer at Force India

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Tim.Wright wrote:Good, I'm a fan of anything that will f**k up a car if the driver gets too greedy at the apex.
Completely with this, despite my previous comment suggesting otherwise. I just wish there was a safer way...

mertol

What was wrong with gravel traps again?

F1NAC

I was just pointing the safety of these speedbumps, I agree with you that drivers nees to be punished for trying to cut the corner as much as they can, but they fit these speed bumps on the inside of corner where uphill ends. This could result with unbalancing the car which could cause serious crash
Last edited by F1NAC on 17 Mar 2015, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.

McMrocks
McMrocks

ian_s wrote:why is it bad? it penalizes drivers cutting the corner making them actually use the track.
But is a backflip really the penalty that behaviour deserves

poolboy67

eau rouge is a high speed, high risk corner. quite possibly one of the most dangerous. therefore speed bumps don't belong there. to me this is total overkill anyway, because those smaller white bumps were there already before.

yes this crash occured before those bumps but it should give you an idea of how dangerous the corner really is. i'd rather not have driver safety compromised just because you'd wanna stop people cutting the corner, which really isn't a problem anyway. safery should always come first. especially in the case of eau rouge.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/q_nUaZnX_l0?t=37s[/youtube]

if they really wanna downgrade the safety in eau rouge, then they should prepare for the shitstorm that followes after a driver is sent to the wall from those new bumps.
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

Mandrake
Mandrake

Most crashes happen before or after. So the only uncertainty is the effect of the bumps on a sliding car. It's a good measure of making racers think twice about fully going at it. Wonder if Eau Rouge is flat? Try and if it isn't - just run wide. This will be prevented now - good thing.

After all, Eau rouge is a dangerous corner. High speed, close walls, if you lose your car there you're ending in the walls mostly anyways.

ian_s

I dont see a difference with having those bumps, and having a curb at the apex or exit of a high speed corner. both will unsettle the car if you hit them.

how do we know those bumps will still be there come August? that's 5 months away.

SoCalWJS
SoCalWJS

ian_s wrote:I dont see a difference with having those bumps, and having a curb at the apex or exit of a high speed corner. both will unsettle the car if you hit them.

how do we know those bumps will still be there come August? that's 5 months away.
That's my question as well. Most speed bumps of that type can be fairly easily removed. Might be there for other series, but not F1.

Moose
Moose

mertol wrote:What was wrong with gravel traps again?
They suck at slowing cars down, and are really good at flipping cars over, hence, when this was a gravel trap:

arahman_93
arahman_93

They need to add these things in canada near the pit area (wall of champions) where rosberg last year thundered across :lol:

mertol

Moose wrote:
mertol wrote:What was wrong with gravel traps again?
They suck at slowing cars down, and are really good at flipping cars over, hence, when this was a gravel trap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRH75RyTgKk
Still much better than the bumps ;)