Renault return speculation

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Renault return speculation

Can somebody give a bit of background on the speculation that Renault wish to return as a works team, potentially purchasing Toro Rosso?

If anything, I have only seen the opposite over the last 3 years - that higher ups don't like motorsport spending etc.

Considering the car company isn't exactly flourishing in Europe right now (small growth, also behind market share in China - biggest emerging market) it doesn't make sense.

Whats the source?

George-Jung
George-Jung

Re: Renault return speculation

ChrisF1 wrote:
Whats the source?
Here you have one:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118091
"We are considering expanding our marketing story.

"What we are looking into is improving our return on investment from F1.

"We will do that in the course of the year but it is not a short term future.

"It's an important decision that should not be taken lightly. Anyway, that's not for this year so we still have a bit of time."
Last edited by George-Jung on 18 Mar 2015, 16:24, edited 2 times in total.

Vasconia

I cant see it, Renault´s situation as a company is not the best right now, as you have said. Plus they are not doing a great job with this hybrid technology in F1.

I have read something about those rumours but nothing official.

MOWOG

Dear Carlos Ghosn:

Why? :wtf:

Sincerely,

MOWOG
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

CBeck113
CBeck113

MOWOG wrote:Dear Carlos Ghosn:

Sincerely,

MOWOG
Dear Mr. MOWOG,

because if Red Bull win, then Red Bull great, if Red Bull lose, then Renault sh*t - we will proove them wrong!

Sincerely, Carlos G.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Neno
Neno

If Renault dont buy Enstone. They shouldnt even comeback.

wesley123
wesley123

Isn't Red Bull Renaults works team already?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

FW17

Why cant they do it from Viry-Châtillon

Gatecrasher
Gatecrasher

Neno wrote:If Renault dont buy Enstone. They shouldnt even comeback.
Buy Lotus ? that may make more sense than Toro Rosso

FoxHound

CBeck113 wrote:
MOWOG wrote:Dear Carlos Ghosn:

Sincerely,

MOWOG
Dear Mr. MOWOG,

because if Red Bull win, then Red Bull great, if Red Bull lose, then Renault sh*t - we will proove them wrong!

Sincerely, Carlos G.
:lol: =D>
JET set

absbeginner
absbeginner

WilliamsF1 wrote:Why cant they do it from Viry-Châtillon
They probably want "it all" meaning they want the full system ready to transform a project into a working car.

They need the facility, the experience, the organogram, the structure, the machinery, historical data, in brief a working system.
It really looks like they sold everything when the made the Lotus deal, even the knowhow.

dren

A lot of the top leaders at the Enstone team fled when Lotus was having money issues. The infastructure is still there, though. I'd like to see Renault return to Enstone, though. They'd have to do some hiring.
Honda!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

dren wrote:A lot of the top leaders at the Enstone team fled when Lotus was having money issues. The infastructure is still there, though. I'd like to see Renault return to Enstone, though. They'd have to do some hiring.
no way in life. Lotus parted ways with Renault and is now a Mercedes customer. I don't know if they could benefit from a year of Mercedes experience - in sharing intel - but so far, didn't do Mclaren-Honda any good. Meanwhile, I recall Lotus still owed money to Renault 'recently' [take that with a year], so i don't know if all the wages have been sorted. The financial situation and position of Enstone team is fragile and unstable. Pastor Maldonado is all the proof you need for that, and there has been an exodus of key personel before.

It takes time to repack and find or teach personel to get back on the right road. Lotus seems to be in a better position, but the fact is, that is due to the engine and could blossom over the possible shortcomings of the actual car. With a renault in the back, that car would have been way worse, despite it doesnt get much worse than having both cars not make it through a couple of laps.

Renault will have zero interest in enstone, especially because they're probably preferring a 'fresh start'. The Toro Rosso team is a sound, stable and financially healthy team thanks to the RedBull backing. That makes a lot of difference.

In any case i'm not sure the statement above means turning back to F1 as a works team. They want to improve the return of their investment in F1. that does NOT mean a return into F1 as a works team. It might be a possibility to return as a works team to achieve this result, but it simply does not say this.

Basically, it says: We're not happy at the moment with what we get back from F1 after putting so much money and effort into it. Offcourse the recent engine issues are part of this 'problem', but there's more. The statement first of all could be a good sign they're intending to fix their engine issues this time for real so they won't get negative effect anymore.

But above all; Renault hoped more 'exposure' with RedBull, but instead they promote Infinity. Not good for Renault.
Meanwhile, they serve Toro Rosso engines. But still, where's the 'renault promotion' in Toro rosso? close to none.

So, desiring more exposure in F1 is really what the headline is about.
A completely yellow ToroRosso [ironic as Rosso is red offcourse] with more prominet 'renault' on the car is one way to do that.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

absbeginner
absbeginner

Toro Rosso don't have a wind tunnel, Renault would have to build it.

It would be more logic to buy a team like Sauber which has its own wind tunnel. Sauber would probably sell the team willingly.

Gaz.
Gaz.

absbeginner wrote:Toro Rosso don't have a wind tunnel, Renault would have to build it.

It would be more logic to buy a team like Sauber which has its own wind tunnel. Sauber would probably sell the team willingly.
They could use Toyota's.
Forza Jules