Renault return speculation

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Miguel
Miguel

Re: Renault return speculation

If they manage to stop a certain individual from owning 20% of the grid, I'm all for it.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Hawkwind
Hawkwind

Toro Rosso do have a Wind Tunnel. It is in Bicester, UK and used to belong to RBR/Jaguar.
They have also been actively and successfully, recruiting into key Engineering and Aero positions over the past 3 years.
Some excellent people have joined them from a number of F1 teams, including the likes of Mercedes and McLaren.
Little on the actual car is shared with RBR/RBT other than Sponsorship, some Transmissions components and of course a Renault power unit.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Yes, I know the tunnel. I first went in there back in the Jaguar days (when they were installing it). Was in there again about 4 years ago I guess. Sadly my visits were only to do with the buildings, not the cars... #-o Did see a TR model being run though - quick peek through a window whilst passing. 8)

I did spend an enjoyable day in the Lola tunnel back in the Minardi days. Very interesting. Oh, and the food (provided by an Italian team, don't forget) was fab too =P~
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

smokeduv
smokeduv

Hi, this is my first reply here. I have been reading this page for like a year or so, but haven't registered until now.

I'd like to see Renault again at the grid as a works team, but as they are having many problems with this hybrid era, I don't think it will happen soon. If history can be repeated, Renault was the first team to try a turbo when they were allowed in the 70s, with a lot of troubles, until 1980, when they proved it could work as a competitive engine, so, I really hope they can fix all these troubles soon.

SectorOne

Marko made some interestin comments regarding STR and Renault saying they would have no problems selling the team but more interestingly could "give" Renault two yellow cars. I guess that would be as a sort of title sponsor of sorts.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I think RedBull's threats to leave are quite amusing. Ferrari used to that - oh look, they're still here too!

I'd be happy to see Renault return as a team, especially if it meant Marko and Horner left the paddock.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ScottB
ScottB

I suspect the motivation is about protecting their investment in the hybrid engine which is now tied completely to Red Bull's whims. To Renault there is too much risk in that relationship, and with a lack of potential new customer teams, combined with their suggested feelings about getting a lack of credit for their role in Red Bull's success leads to having their own team again.

Gaz.
Gaz.

ScottB wrote:I suspect the motivation is about protecting their investment in the hybrid engine which is now tied completely to Red Bull's whims. To Renault there is too much risk in that relationship, and with a lack of potential new customer teams, combined with their suggested feelings about getting a lack of credit for their role in Red Bull's success leads to having their own team again.
On the F1 show there was a segment where they showed Taffin replacing his yellow Renault shirt with a borrowed RBR mechanic's shirt to go onto the podium.
Forza Jules

Vasconia

ScottB wrote:I suspect the motivation is about protecting their investment in the hybrid engine which is now tied completely to Red Bull's whims. To Renault there is too much risk in that relationship, and with a lack of potential new customer teams, combined with their suggested feelings about getting a lack of credit for their role in Red Bull's success leads to having their own team again.
Plus there is zero loyalty in this relation, just look what RB says about Renault´s engine. They dont use the best words to express their opinions and public critics are not welcome.

djos

It's not surprising that Renault want more bang for their marketing buck - Infiniti currently get all the glory when rbr does well, not Renault.
"In downforce we trust"

aral
aral

djos wrote:It's not surprising that Renault want more bang for their marketing buck - Infiniti currently get all the glory when rbr does well, not Renault.
that is renaults choice! THEY wanted infiniti to get more kudos, but in reality it hasnt worked. nobody buys infiniti cars! and certainly not as a result of their name being on the wing of the bull.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

gilgen wrote:
djos wrote:It's not surprising that Renault want more bang for their marketing buck - Infiniti currently get all the glory when rbr does well, not Renault.
that is renaults choice! THEY wanted infiniti to get more kudos, but in reality it hasnt worked. nobody buys infiniti cars! and certainly not as a result of their name being on the wing of the bull.
* cough cough* factually wrong * cough cough*

http://left-lane.com/european-car-sales-data/infiniti/ < take note, european, that means not included US & Asian sales

Infiniti
All Models

________________2013_____2014____2015
January___________123______308_____359
February__________112______191
March____________243______234
April_____________297______319
May______________138______429
June_____________129______302
July______________154______503
August____________94______173
September________194______422
October__________172______319
November________174______299
December________379______390

some more

http://infinitinews.com/en-US/infiniti/ ... bruary2015

US Sales : February 2015 11,659
US Sales : February 2014 9,729

Nobody buys infiniti cars? #-o :roll:

+
that is renaults choice! THEY wanted infiniti to get more kudos, but in reality it hasnt worked
No, it was NOT renault's choice, it was RBR who made a deal with infinity where Renault outspokenly was not pleased with.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Moose
Moose

In your linked article - market share - 0.03%

Yup... no one buys Infiniti's cars.

Juzh

Manoah2u wrote: No, it was NOT renault's choice, it was RBR who made a deal with infinity where Renault outspokenly was not pleased with.
I ain't saying you're wrong, just want to see source.

dans79

Moose wrote:In your linked article - market share - 0.03%

Yup... no one buys Infiniti's cars.
Maybe not in Europe, buy they are everywhere in the US...
197 104 103 7