Competitive F1 cars

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RonH
RonH

Competitive F1 cars

Nowadays and almost without exception, it seems to me that the driver who wins has the best car ... assuming that the driver is in the top bracket.

Perhaps it is time to balance the books and really highlight driver skills by having identical car specifications so that races are won by the best drivers supported by the best mechanics? A good example of this in high profile sport are the round the world Volvo Ocean Races.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Competitive F1 cars

That happens in lower formulae mostly, where the cars are spec. built by a single manufacturer.

There's not a hope in Hell of it happening in F1 - the teams want to make their own cars.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mrluke
mrluke

If its all about the drivers then what is the incentive for any car or engine manufacturer to be involved? Or for that matter any top engineers?

Facts Only
Facts Only

Bit of an odd thing to post on a site dedicated to the engineering and technical aspects of F1.

F1 has always been about the cars, that's why its Formula 1 and not Driver 1
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

Just watch karting if this is what you're after. It can be quite entertaining.

turbof1

Facts Only wrote:Bit of an odd thing to post on a site dedicated to the engineering and technical aspects of F1.

F1 has always been about the cars, that's why its Formula 1 and not Driver 1
We often see that question pass by actually. It usually lingers about when the sport is going through yet another cost-controversy moment.

Safe to say it would outright kill the sport. We have more then enough spec. series; last time they tried to revive F2 it not last very long, especially since it had to compete against established series like GP2 and Formula Renault 3.5. I guess F1 could tear on its name for a while, but it'd die out eventually.

In all honesty, I think if current restrictions on bodywork continue, it will finish the sport eventually. I hope at one point they loosen up regulations again; a bit more variation, radical ideas here and there, would be a very pleasant sight.
#AeroFrodo

Andres125sx

A partial solution for that, as I posted on another thread, would be banning those complicated wheels with tons of settings... differentials (three!), brake bias, mappings...

Without any of those settings cars will be a lot more difficult to drive both for braking and cornering, and drivers will become more relevant, but keeping engineering develpment as it is now, wich is a good part of F1

Now cars are on rails because they adjust it specifically for each corner so no unbalance, no oversteer or understeer neither at any braking or corner... Without those settings there would be (again) difficult corners, difficult braking points where the car is not perfectly balanced, there would be a lot more mistakes, more overtakings and the show would be way better

SectorOne

Every single world champ has had a good car. That´s what you need to win a world championship in a prototype series.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"