2015 in graphs

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Moose
Moose

Re: 2015 in graphs

Updates:

Drivers Championship:

Constructors Championship:

Pole Positions:

Race Wins:

Fastest Laps:

Moose
Moose

This is actually a really stark comparison in the case of Vettel and Raikkonen. You can see that the driver in this case makes a surprising difference - it makes the difference between fighting with a fast mid fielder, or fighting with a dominant bit of machinery.

PlatinumZealot

OK. I have two niggling issues with the charts.

1. Vettel has 1 pole position in Singapore.
2. I feel the pie charts for poles and wins should not be in percent but in simple whole numbers. The number of races is not so numerous that percentage is needed to express them. Unnecessary complication that reduces the communicability of your data in this case. For example if one sees that there are "4 poles" remaining he will understand, Versus "22% poles remaining" which requires another parameter plus a multiplication operation to be understood.

I am sort of a stickler with graphs sorry.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

turbof1

I also don't get how one chart shows pole positions still available to be 22%, while the other charts show 21%. Since it's the percentage of the remaining PP/RW/FL and since those are all the same, the percentage should also be the same. The correct number is of course 21%

Yes I'm quite picky too :P. I don't personally mind the percentages opposed to Platinum Zealot, however if I really had to give a perference I'd just show the pie charts without any number.
#AeroFrodo

PlatinumZealot

Mathematics (Geometry is beautiful thing).

Check this out...
The Percentage labels are redundant with regards to conveying this particular information...Why? Because the nature of a Pie chart is that it shows you a visible apportioning (correct word?) right in front of you. By that what do I mean?

Without putting any percentages on the chart and just having the chart with just the colours:
I can see that Hamilton has about nearly half of the wins....
Rosberg has about... that looks like 1/6th of the wins... Vettel the same.. and the remaining wins in black are a little more than 1/6th but not quite 1/4 so, say 1/5th... Fairyl accurate right? So you can already get an idea of the proportions by just looking at the chart without any numbers at all.

Only four colours there so that was not that difficult. Sooo.. what I am saying that the percentages does not add much to this graph.. their sample is not numerous where we need percentages to compare relative size - like say the Share of a product in the Market or some occurrence in some population. We already can see who has more wins quite easily. This is built into the nature of the pie chart. The other key piece of information that is not there is the quantity of wins that each driver has. This information cannot be derived from the chart and percentages any at all. And this is what we are interested in, right. Not that Hamilton has 30% more wins than Rosberg..and he can win 21/47 percent more wins than what he has already....

Sorry to the readers, I am not really ranting. I never liked the subject of statistics actually but this is not just about statistics. It is more about presentation of data (which i have to do a lot at work). I like when technical information is communicated in an easy to understand manner so I sorta like to critique these things.. Maybe I am wrong.. i dunno.. this way make more sense to me.

Good job still, Moose.

Moose
Moose

Mexicoooooooooo:

WDC:

WCC:

Wins:

Qualifying:

Fastest Laps:

SiLo

Can you do a comparison/overlay of the 2015 and 2014 seasons? I'd like to see visually the differences between the two years.

I'd do it myself but I'm between laptops and hence, photoshop at the moment.
Felipe Baby!

Chuckjr

Excellent graphs. Thank you for posting. The graphs clarify Mercs complete dominance. Ronald McDonald could have won the title in that car. I hope next year whoever wins the WDC will have to actually earn it, rather than just tour the circuits anticipating the coronation ceremony.
Watching F1 since 1986.

ME4ME

PlatinumZealot wrote:OK. I have two niggling issues with the charts.

1. Vettel has 1 pole position in Singapore.
2. I feel the pie charts for poles and wins should not be in percent but in simple whole numbers. The number of races is not so numerous that percentage is needed to express them. Unnecessary complication that reduces the communicability of your data in this case. For example if one sees that there are "4 poles" remaining he will understand, Versus "22% poles remaining" which requires another parameter plus a multiplication operation to be understood.

I am sort of a stickler with graphs sorry.
Totally agree. Percentage is such an over-used method of displaying data.
I had a teacher once who would go mad over the use of percentage if other better ways of displaying data were available :)

Moose
Moose

Chuckjr wrote:Excellent graphs. Thank you for posting. The graphs clarify Mercs complete dominance. Ronald McDonald could have won the title in that car. I hope next year whoever wins the WDC will have to actually earn it, rather than just tour the circuits anticipating the coronation ceremony.
Actually, I think they do exactly the opposite.

They show that the driver can make the difference, and is making the difference.

One Ferrari is fighting with one Merc. The other Ferrari is fighting with Williams.

If Merc hadn't had such an excellent driver, they would not be sat on the WDC right now, and Ferrari would be in with a shout.

If Ferrari hadn't had such an excellent driver, they would barely be keeping their heads above P3 in the WCC.

Chuckjr

I hear you Moose, but when you only have to beat one guy all season, winning is farcical and misleading. The graphs say nothing about performance by comparison to the field since Merc is so dominant. Furthermore, is it really saying anything significant to beat Ros each week? No. Beat Alonso each week and you've got something to write home about, but beating Ros?? Not at all. There's no question Lewis is a good driver, but winning a WDC in a car that's 1 second or more faster than all other takers at most every track is not much of an accomplishment.
Watching F1 since 1986.

djos

Great work mate!

Impressive speed shown by Danny Ric to bag 16% of the fastest lap to date too! 8)
"In downforce we trust"

PlatinumZealot

Are my eyes deceiving me? Hamilton really has never been headed this season! wow! Never thought i would see this. Bravo.

ringo

Chuckjr wrote:I hear you Moose, but when you only have to beat one guy all season, winning is farcical and misleading. The graphs say nothing about performance by comparison to the field since Merc is so dominant. Furthermore, is it really saying anything significant to beat Ros each week? No. Beat Alonso each week and you've got something to write home about, but beating Ros?? Not at all. There's no question Lewis is a good driver, but winning a WDC in a car that's 1 second or more faster than all other takers at most every track is not much of an accomplishment.
That's how formula 1 is most of the times. The Vettel years were even worse. One driver getting all the new parts and support from the team. Dominant car as well, and to me even more dominant than the mercedes.
For Sure!!

ME4ME

ringo wrote:That's how formula 1 is most of the times. The Vettel years were even worse. One driver getting all the new parts and support from the team. Dominant car as well, and to me even more dominant than the mercedes.
Haha say what. Dominance isn't subjective, there are clear stats backing up that the Mercedes is way more dominant than Red Bull ever was. By that I mean 2011 and 2013, the other years weren't dominant at all actually. Remember the start of 2012..

New parts and team support you could discuss I suppose. As is reliability and car/driver fault.

You are right on the first part though, F1 is like that most of the time: one team clearly having the edge over the rest. Unfortunately.