Tobacco advertising

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
greggy_thommo
greggy_thommo

Tobacco advertising

How come they're still allowed to advertise tobacco brands?

Scuderia_Russ

Because the races are outside of the European Union. There has been some consternation recently about whether showing events that run with tobacco ads inside of the E.U. is breaking the law.

taleed

People make a big deal out of everything....
....i guess it's the law. I mean, Ferrari without
Marlboro wouldn't be the same. You know
what i mean??

Spencifer_Murphy

Ferrari were without Marlboro for their entire existance up until 1996 (or 97 maybe).

So how would Ferrari be "not the same without Marlboro"? :?
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

m3_lover

I think Marlboro will run there advertisements on the car like they did in U.S, the black strips over a white backdrop. I thin Marlboro signed a contract until 2011 to sponsor Ferrari, I could be wrong though? I am really going to miss Renault's mild seven livery next year :(
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Spencifer_Murphy

think Marlboro will run there advertisements on the car like they did in U.S,
I think thats right, they have signed a multi-year deal, how long - i dont know - but they will have what they describe as "subliminal" branding, i.e the "barcode" logo like in the US GP.
I am really going to miss Renault's mild seven livery next year
Well Renault's corportate Racing colours are Yellow & white, the blue is for Mild Seven (Carried over from Bennetton), so what do you think the chances are that they will change the race car colours to yellow & white next year?

BMW.WilliamsF1 Fan
BMW.WilliamsF1 Fan

Marlboro have all the rights of the advertisments on Ferrari. They bought all the spaces on the car and then sell it further to other sponsers. This also the reasen of the darker red on Ferrari a couple of years ago, the red must more simelar to the Marlboro red.

West
West

This is just me, but I would rather see Marlboro on a race car than Cheerios.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Tom

Give me Cheerios anytime.

I know too many Kn**bs and all of them smoke :!:

Great if you want to die, but not for F1.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

bhall
bhall

I used to smoke. But I didn't start because of any advertising.

Does anyone? I mean, really. Who decides to smoke because they saw the name of a tobacco company somewhere?

Spencifer_Murphy

Nobody does really, but I guess advertising is one way to crack down on how much the idea of smoking is seen. Here in the UK a ban will soon be passed on smoking in all public places. Further reducing how common smoking is appeared to be.

Hopefully it will crack down, I've seen what smoking can do, its ruined my grandad's fitness levels, and I'm just lucky it hasn't ruined his health.

Bring on Cheerios! :lol:

Sodder
Sodder

Speaking of the USGP...

Until this year, most of the major Auto Racing in the United States frowned on hard alcahol sponsors being painted on the car. It was just recently that (everyone's favorite) NASCAR allowed teams to paint liqour sponsors on the car. Tobacco companies (only cigarettes, not smokless tobacco) are still not allowed on racing cars.

It would have been weird to see most of the cars lacking a sponsor on their livery. It would have been like watching a whole bunch of Williams running around.
All I know is I don't know much....

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?6l

m3_lover

I thoguht crown royal was sponsoring a team for the last two years in Nascar? I still find it wierd Skoal is allowed to sponsor nascar, tobacco related stuff but not a actual cigarette, really wierd
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Sodder
Sodder

AFAIK, the liquor sponsorship was this year only. There was Crown Royal, Jim Beam, and Jack Daniels in the Daytona 500.

Tony Kannan's Cart car has had Jim Beam as a sponsor for a while now, but no one watches Cart (or what ever its called now). So it really dosn't matter what sponsor he has.
All I know is I don't know much....

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?6l

manchild
manchild

Renault will have Telefonica all over where Mild Seven is now.