Tyre Manufacturer Championship

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
F1freak
F1freak

Tyre Manufacturer Championship

Does anyone know what the difference in total points won by Michelin versus Bridgestone is this season as in the the total points won by Michelin shod teams versus Bridgestone shod teams? I'm sure the answer is Michelin but the question is by how much?

F1freak
F1freak

Never mind - answered my own question after a cup of coffee.
Michelin = 254
Bridgestone = 136

Wow - that's clear domination on Michelin's part. :shock:

Steven
Owner

ah well... Bridgestone kind of relies completely on Ferrari, while Michelin grabs points with multiple teams.
It is certainly because the tyres are better that more teams look better, but teams like Renault, McLaren and Williams are not Jordan and Minardi :wink:

SpeedTech
SpeedTech

OCP

I think that Michelin shod teams are now making the most what Michelin have been developing.
OCP "Optimum Contact Patch" . Michelin with the help of Renault started development of this system at the begining of the year.

Duact
Duact

It's time for the "Michelin guy" to practise in the rain and hopefully improve! At least they now have the best tyre in dry conditions... but faaaar from Bridgestone in wets...

Steven
Owner

well actually I wouldn't say that aloud.
Everybody is talking like Michelin sucks in wet weather conditions, but the truth is they put other priorities.
Remember the Brazilian Grand Prix, where michelin was far the better tyre at the beginning of the race, with a very very wet track.
Later on, when fewer water was on the circuit, the Bridgestone-runners were quicker.
Nevertheless, I agree that with the "extreme weather conditions"-rule since the spanish GP, they should point more towards grip instead of coping with the water.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

SpeedTech: the OCP has been developed by Renault with the technical support of Michelin but the contract states that the other teams may only use it after the end of the 2003 season.

if anyone wants to comment on it...
I read it in a F1 magazine...not to sure if it was in Formula 1 magazine, F1 Racing or Autosport. I buy all of those......plus Racecar Technology (but it wasn't in the last one)

SpeedTech
SpeedTech

mmmmm......

Monstrobolaxa......last I read in F1 Racing (May '03) written by Peter Windsor , that Michelin own the patent on "Optimum Contact Patch".
Renault and Michelin have been working side by side on the development of it.

Steven
Owner

idd, but so far no other team has implemeted this technology yet.
At least as far as I know

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

SpeedTech...that is correct....in spite the fact that I don't consider that Michelin developed it! Cause the car that was used was the Renault so.....I say that Renault developed it with technical support of Michelin! Cause the data came from Renault and not michelin! But what you said about the patent is true! But I've heard that only in 2004 other teams will be authorizd to use it! It would be a big kick in the ass if Michlein let otrher teams use the OCP after all the work Renault had developing it! So let Renault use it first....(like it was their invention) and after that let other teams use it (like if they had copied it).

SpeedTech
SpeedTech

I agree........coming from a Ferrari team fan in regards to Renault developing OCP. Though if you think about it it will only be Michelin shod team's that will take advantage of this technology. Also due to Renault developing the idea, with the help of Michelin :wink: , renault will be about 14 month's ahead in regards to the data collected through the developing stages.
But you have to consider the aerodynamic advantages of haveing shoulder egded tyres.
Would be interesting to see the different lap times between Bridgestone and Michelin in 2004. :? :roll: :wink: