F1 in Schools 2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sofia
Sofia

F1 in Schools 2015

Hi guys!

I'm participating in this year's F1 in Schools Challenge, having just gotten through the regionals in Portugal, ranking in 1st place and racking up the Engineering, Innovation and Identity awards. We're very proud of our achievements, but we have much more ambitious goals that include getting a spot in the world finals. If possible, I would like to get some advice on how to better our car, which surprisingly performed in a disappointing manner, getting an average time of about 1.5 secs. This was largely due to the track conditions (poorly assembled) which limited the fastest car to a time of 1.2.

Image[/img]

Thank you in advance!

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

Re: F1 in Schools 2015

Hey Sofia,

First, I'm not sure if this is real or spam but I'll give my input regardless. I've never competed in "F1 in Schools", but after a quick google I believe I know what it is and have played with similar toys. I am responding under the assumption that this is a small wooden car that is powered by a small CO2 cartridge.

Your car looks neat, but it is very far from aerodynamically efficient, and it looks like it would produce a lot of drag for no reason. To make your car faster you want to reduce drag so you can hang onto as much speed as possible.

The easiest ways to do this are first by reducing the frontal area, and next by making the coefficient of drag smaller.

Frontal area is the area you would get by looking at the front of the car and calculating an equivalent cross section. You car seems a bit high, is it possible to lower it? Next, do the wings do anything beneficial? I can't imagine you would need down-force, and your rear wing looks like it would produce positive lift. Anything you can do to make the car lower, narrower and reduced cross sectional area will help.

Next would be the coefficient of drag. You want this to be as small as possible. You can reduce this by targeting a teardrop or similar shape. The wing in the front followed by the flat rear portion of your design make it very inefficient. Think of the body of a 737 or any car that is designed for hyper mileage competitions.

A simple drag formula would be:

Drag=Cd*1/2pv^2*A

Where:

Cd=Coefficient of Drag
p=density of air
v=velocity
A=Frontal Area

Obviously you want high velocity and you can't change the density of air...so that's why you're stuck working with Cd and A.

mertol

If it is cartridge powered then you should also minimize weight. If it is gravity powered (you let it go on an inclined track or something) then you should make it as dense as possible - heavy but still small. Narrower wheels will reduce rolling resistance too.

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

mertol wrote:If it is cartridge powered then you should also minimize weight. If it is gravity powered (you let it go on an inclined track or something) then you should make it as dense as possible - heavy but still small. Narrower wheels will reduce rolling resistance too.
Very good point, if you're not already at the minimum weight, then that should probably be your first focus.

I think the wheels are standardized and such, but adding to mertols suggestion, its also important that your wheels are straight and true to the direction of travel.

Sofia
Sofia

Thank you so much for your input guys! The car is indeed powered by a small Co2 cartridge, and it races along a straight 20m track. It has to follow a series of specific regulation and rules that you can find at http://www.f1inschools.co.uk/rules-and-regulations-/ (Formula 11 Class 11-19). These really limit some of the things you can do with the car but some of your solutions might be applicable.

In no way was it my team's intention to produce drag. The front aerofoil was designed to emulate the team identity - A(X)LR8 - which is highly focused on our X symbol. However, through CFD simulation, we have indeed found that it might be compromising our performance.

As for the body shape, we were aiming to create a lifting body, therefore the undercut on the body, but perhaps it would indeed be wiser to make it teardrop shaped...

Referring back to the rules - the regulations require a minimum weight of 52g. This car is currently at 55g, although we were aiming for 52... We'll just have to be more careful.

Anymore suggestions would be really helpful since the team is hoping to start re-touching the car by the beginning of next week! :D

Ciro Pabón

Welcome, Sofia, by all means. The best team effort I remember from a thread about F1 in Schools is this: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =14&t=7438

If I'm not mistaken, at some point CAD drawings were interchanged and there were some volunteer aerodynamic analysis.

I believe that basizeland (the author) posted frequently and perhaps that was the most important thing he did to get good feedback. Some persons that had participated in the contest also chipped in.

That picture, cool, man.Very nice car you have. The edges of the front wing are intriguing. I saved it for my collection, thanks. 8) The central support, I don't know. Did you analyze it?
Ciro

Sofia
Sofia

Hahah not yet Ciro! We're definitely aiming for it, but right now we've just gotten through the regionals - nationals will only be coming up in June.

The side of the wings we're designed in that shape to reduce weight. Initially we we're making some mistakes in Solidworks with the materials, and by the time we realised it our car was weighing a hefty 80g! Of course that meant we went into panic mode and a frenzy of cutting weight which led to this shape. We had it printed in ABSplus and found that it was actually quite fragile and on the verge of breaking, but after applying a bit of superglue and the paint it turned out very resistant and withstood the high impact of the stopping system.

What do you mean by the central support? The shape in the middle??

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

Sofia,

Are you saying that you intentionally produced positive lift to reduce the weight on the wheels?

Remember that inertial resistance will not care if the lift is produced after launch...but positive lift would give you less rolling resistance to a small degree based on your coefficient of rolling resistance. This is a very good opportunity to do the trade off analysis between reducing drag or reducing rolling resistance (any lift will produce drag).

Sofia
Sofia

Good point sgthomas, when we get to making the changes i'll make sure to run some tests.

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

Also, good work so far. Its nice to see teams making an effort on these fronts.

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

What grade level/age is your team? This will help us know how complex we can get with the math.

Sofia
Sofia

We have members of different age. Myself and one other team member are 18, then we have a 17yo and a 16yo member. Get as complex as you like - i'm super eager to learn, and I know that if I want to make it to the world finals that requires a lot of knowledge and preparation. So even if I'm not familiar with any concepts/equations, there's always Google!

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

That's good to hear! I will try my best to keep this clear and concise, but as an engineer that isn't always easy.

First, for the performance of the car you want the absolute lightest vehicle that is the most aerodynamically efficient. The primary forces that will slow your vehicle are Drag and Rolling resistance. The other slowing force will be contact with the guide wire or track if the car doesn't travel very straight (but this is most likely very small). So your key improvement areas are drag and rolling resistance. Rolling resistance is basically the cars resistance to roll when a force is applied, or the tendency of a car to decelerate as it rolls from a given input force.

If you recall from an earlier post, drag force can be summarized by:

Drag=Cd*1/2pv^2*A

The force from Rolling resistance is summarized by:

F=(Cr)*N

Where:

Cr=the coefficient of rolling resistance (this can be measured if you have sensitive instruments)
N = Normal Force (this is simply the weight of the car on horizontal ground)

This is why Mertol correctly stated that minimizing weight will help a lot. Not only will it reduce the decelerative force from rolling resistance, it also reduces the overall inertia of the car allowing it to accelerate from the cartridge sooner and to a higher top speed.

Now to the fun part! You can use the 2 formulas to detail why your design is such, and how you used applied math/engineering to reach an optimized design. This will be especially important to the portfolio, presentation and judging portion of your project. So you should absolutely document this process and make any pretty charts you can.

To apply the formulas to your design, you will note that you want to minimize both drag and rolling resistance. The first way to reduce rolling resistance is to reduce weight as we already discussed. Document the weight you reduced from the first model so that it's clear this was a mathematical process.

Next, you want to reduce drag forces. Again, we discussed that you can do this by reducing frontal area and the coefficient of drag. The following image is taken from a Wikipedia article and it details the different drag coefficients of various shapes. As you can see, if you went simply from a cylinder to a sphere, you cut your total drag almost in half. Again, document all of these findings. You will want to use CFD to ultimately determine the coefficient of drag, but knowing the general shapes beforehand will help you get there sooner.

Secondly, you mentioned that you wanted some positive lift to reduce the "weight". This will in fact reduce the normal force...which will drop the rolling resistance as well. BUT...by creating lift, you will create more drag. So what you want to do is what we call a trade off analysis or trade study in the engineering world. This means you look at the drag force that is added to produce the lift, then you look at the reduction in rolling resistance from this lift. If the added drag is MORE than the benefit from reduced rolling resistance, then you know that it's not worth it. But, if reducing your rolling resistance is in fact worth the additional drag, then you should create the positive lift.

My advice to your car is to look at various streamlined bodies to try and create a shape with a low Cd, then to reduce as much frontal area as possible while keeping a low Cd. The back of your car is flat, try to tape it towards the end of the cylinder if rules permit. The front wing is pretty blocky and will have a high Cd as well. Try to streamline any component and blend them well together.

Also, surface roughness matters as well, so try to smooth the surface of your 3D print as much as possible to keep the air flow laminar and attached. Typically, 3D prints have some ridges that can be cleaned up.

Again...Document EVERY process in a clear and concise manner for judging.

Sofia
Sofia

Thank you so much for your help!

Of course these two main forces are what we're trying to counter, but to reduce the pull from the tether line, we incorporated our screw eyelets into the car body and the eyelets are only narrow enough to fit the regulations in the center, so that only a very small ring touches the line and the rest of the structure fillets outwards. They didn't like this though because they thought the measurement could be "subjective"..

How do you suggest that we measure rolling resistance? I'm not sure which instruments would be appropriate for this or if we might have them at school..

As for the streamlined shape, we kept that in mind when designing the car - note that the aerofoil plate has that shape, but might have made the component too blocky and sacrificing team identity (X shape) is in order.

As for cleaning up 3D printing we did that through corrosion with acetone and a lot of sanding, which fixes the "layered" aspect of it.

Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to make your very useful suggestions!

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

Sofia wrote:Thank you so much for your help!

Of course these two main forces are what we're trying to counter, but to reduce the pull from the tether line, we incorporated our screw eyelets into the car body and the eyelets are only narrow enough to fit the regulations in the center, so that only a very small ring touches the line and the rest of the structure fillets outwards. They didn't like this though because they thought the measurement could be "subjective"..

How do you suggest that we measure rolling resistance? I'm not sure which instruments would be appropriate for this or if we might have them at school..

As for the streamlined shape, we kept that in mind when designing the car - note that the aerofoil plate has that shape, but might have made the component too blocky and sacrificing team identity (X shape) is in order.

As for cleaning up 3D printing we did that through corrosion with acetone and a lot of sanding, which fixes the "layered" aspect of it.

Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to make your very useful suggestions!
It sounds like you guys are already on an excellent path then, and just have some fine tuning. I just now read through the rules, and the overall shape of your car makes more sense now. There are a lot of limitations that actually make it much more difficult to design a car that perform optimally (go figure...it's F1).

I've only used higher end force sensors and equipment to do rolling resistance, but I found the article below that may work. You will probably get a very low rolling resistance coefficient. I must note that I've never done it this way myself.

http://www.school-for-champions.com/sci ... VQQPS6BpNo

Last thing, are your wheels as narrow and close together as the rules allow?