2008 Technical Regulations

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JimmyK

2008 Technical Regulations

Well, there's some good and bad stuff in there, I like the idea of slicks returning, though banning tyre warmers could mean heroically difficult drives at first.

Hmmm... yes....

ENGINE FREEZE FOR THREE YEARS!

I loathe that idea, what's the point, is Max Mosley actually trying to stop the GPMA teams re-entering?!

P.S.
Something I've been meaning to bring up for a while.
In his new column for a certain Formula 1 magazine.
After discussing an aerodynamic idea...
Fascinating, that is, to the dozen or so aerodynamicists who understand it, but of no interest whatever to the millions of spectators who indirectly pay for it
Now, I don't know about you, but am I really the only person who finds aerodynamics at least a little interesting.
Does no-one else look at the technical analysis section on the official F1 website?

DarkSnape

o man and a maximum of 30,000 kilometres of testing during a calendar year the engine must to resist last 2 consecutive events and the penalty will be the adition of 15kg to the minimi weigh, the gearbox must to resist 4 concsescutive evens to and the penalty with 15 kg :roll: and about engine freeze for the 2008 2009 and 2010 i have no words .

Principessa

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/2282

I don't understand why the FIA wants the engine development freezed for three years. It saves money perhaps, but what does it bring to the sport? And the constructors?

manchild

I follow technical analysis on formula1.com but they are inaccurate and very late.

For example, several days ago they added analysis of cooling gills on Renault R26 as something applied for race in Malaysia while the truth is that R26 had them since late winter testing session. On f1technical forum it was mentioned the very day it occurred while formula1.com figured that out 6 weeks later.

http://www.formula1.com/insight/technic ... 2/253.html
Renault, like most teams, have improved the cooling capabilities of their car for Malaysia, to help guarantee engine reliability in the hot and humid conditions. A couple of additional venting gills have been placed at the top of the sidepod...
Jerez testing 10th February!

Scuderia_Russ

Re: 2008 Technical Regulations

JimmyK wrote: Something I've been meaning to bring up for a while.
In his new column for a certain Formula 1 magazine.
After discussing an aerodynamic idea...
MaxMosely wrote:Fascinating, that is, to the dozen or so aerodynamicists who understand it, but of no interest whatever to the millions of spectators who indirectly pay for it
Now, I don't know about you, but am I really the only person who finds aerodynamics at least a little interesting.
I do too but you have to admit that fans of aerodynamics number in few compared to casual, everyday fans of 'The Show'
Principessa wrote:I don't understand why the FIA wants the engine development freezed for three years.
Freezing engines for three years will save the teams the money that they are trying to squeeze out of Bernie and F1 in other ways.

m3_lover

I agree with the testing agreement, 30 000 kilometres seems good. I would like to see two tire companies in F1, but about 90 percent of testing is related to tyre testing, I am okay with one tire company. But the other rules with engine freezes, gearboxs, no spare cars, just wants me to make me scream NASCAR, too many restrictions.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

tOrnike

I don't like slicks returning idea
F1 has advanced far enough not to return to them
McLaren Formula 1 Team
11 Times drivers world champions
8 Times constructors world champions

DarkSnape

the slick tires permit more grip than others

m3_lover

There is nothing wrong with the grooved tires, they got to stop changing from slicks to groove to slicks again. Plus wouldn't the return of slicks make the car go faster?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

bhall

Formula 1 will be worldwide, open-wheeled NASCAR in 2008.

I'm actually praying that this is merely a ploy to get the GPMA to commit to F1, as their commitment is the only way the rules can change.

Jason

manchild wrote:I follow technical analysis on formula1.com but they are inaccurate and very late.

For example, several days ago they added analysis of cooling gills on Renault R26 as something applied for race in Malaysia while the truth is that R26 had them since late winter testing session. On f1technical forum it was mentioned the very day it occurred while formula1.com figured that out 6 weeks later.

http://www.formula1.com/insight/technic ... 2/253.html
Renault, like most teams, have improved the cooling capabilities of their car for Malaysia, to help guarantee engine reliability in the hot and humid conditions. A couple of additional venting gills have been placed at the top of the sidepod...
Jerez testing 10th February!
You can say that again manchild,
At launch, the 248 F1 sported the same front wing seen at the end of last season, but this will chang ahead of the 2006 campaign. The chassis is clearly higher from the ground (1) than the previous F2005. The position of the suspension's upper wishbone highlights this, connected much lower than before. The lower wishbones are still connected to the chassis via a single keel (2) that features a tiny vertical fin. Ferrari engineers say this solution is better suited to the car than a double or no keel option.
That's hilarious
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

Scuderia_Russ

tOrnike wrote:I don't like slicks returning idea
F1 has advanced far enough not to return to them
I'm guessing this is down to the F.I.A. survey in which the majority of people (me included) said that they would like to see a return to slicks. Yes speeds would increase if there was a tyre war but seeing as Bridgestone will be producing the only tyres next year speeds should be controlled appropriately. Personally I believe a tyre war only really gives the fans a real variable if there is three or more suppliers. Two just doesn't float my boat. Out of interest, GP2 has switched to slicks this year in anticipation of F1 doing the same next year.

tOrnike

Yes DarkSnape I'm aware of that, it's just that slicks for me are associated with old times;
maybe it isn't a strong point to refuse their return, I just expressed my wish.

Scuderia_Russ
Yes that survey decided it I think - I also took part in it and agreed with other fans in most issues.
McLaren Formula 1 Team
11 Times drivers world champions
8 Times constructors world champions

johny

i really love going back to slicks, that's not returning to old days is just the way to go, FIA has learned that limiting aero in stead of limiting "mecanical grip" isn't very good for close racing. Also you can look at all racing series and all of them uses slicks tyres

Jason

To be fairer, I think all cars should be manufactured by the same company and have the same aero figures, certainly would be very fair. Like A1 GP, all engines provided from Zytek Engineering, no aero differences between all the cars so keep things fair, should be good if Max tries it :D
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW