Is Kimi Raikkonen overrated?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: Is Kimi Raikkonen overrated?

Is Kimi overrated? no...
Maybe even underrated.

Ferrari (and Lotus and McLaren before that) have tons of data and have more insight in his driving capabilities then a few F1-geeks watching it on the television every other week. Since Kimi isn't the kind of guy you hire for PR reasons, Ferrari made a judgment based on his driving capabilities.

FW17

Jolle wrote:Is Kimi overrated? no...
Ferrari made a judgment based on his driving capabilities.

I am not saying he is out of place in Ferrari but the reason for his hiring was to counter Alonso quiet threat in 2013

He was not brought in to replace Massa as a number 2 who is to take points away from WCC and WDC contenders but as a replacement for their number 1 (should he leave)

As a replacement number 1 driver he has failed at it (at Ferrari now atleast; was wonderful previously at McLaren) now Ferrari are trying to project him as a number 2 (who is costing too much) who needs to earn his place in future.

Emmcee

Maybe even underrated.

Ferrari (and Lotus and McLaren before that) have tons of data and have more insight in his driving capabilities then a few F1-geeks watching it on the television every other week. Since Kimi isn't the kind of guy you hire for PR reasons, Ferrari made a judgment based on his driving capabilities.
What happened to him last year? Didnt he finish over a 100 points behind alonso which is what equivalent to more than 4gp wins? And Ferrari didnt even win a race last year so that alone proves the consistancy he once had. Even this year he is behind seb who has had to fit into the day to day running of Ferrari compared to kimi who knows what to expect and would most likely have had input in this years car to prevent another humiliation like last season. Yeah iam an f1 geek but an f1 geek who tells it how it's seen and doesn't over hype when there isn't anything there. Iam not denying how good kimi WAS, but he isn't the same now and weather people like it or not IMO that's how it is.

@williams f1 - couldn't agree more mate.
Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.

evered7
evered7

Emmcee wrote: But this is the issue, people in the past have classed him as a top echelon driver, yet the drivers which are held in the same category have beat him and are beating him. I don't Beleive there is any issue with the car that affects kimis ability to drive it. There was mountain of excuses to try defend his awful season last year but at the start of the season they have consistantly said the car is better suited to kimi, yet basically the same thing is happening with seb as it was with alonso and to put the icing on the cake, kimi would have had heaps of input into this seasons chassis to make sure another season like last doesnt happen again, yet seb has come in and is basically dominating kimi. Canada proved how quick the Ferrari can be with seb starting what second last and only finishing 5 seconds behind kimi. If kimi could get on top of his qualifying issues he might get better results but the fact is, half the race result comes on Saturday. The other thing iam iffy about is kimis spin, how the heck does the same thing happen two years in a row on the same corner and it being the same issue? That's IMO is abit fishy, I think it was driver error and Ferrari are covering it up to give kimi abit of a break and relieve him of pressure he has been getting on who will replace him. The fact that any throttle issue would be linked to the engine mapping and would be able to be detected imediatly. That's my opinion anyway.
Doesn't matter if Ferrari wanted to cover for Kimi or it was the real reason. They said so and I believe them. And pressure from whom? It is up to Ferrari to renew his contract or fire him. If so, why would they give Kimi a cushion?
The spin cost him big as in the end he was only 5 seconds away from Bottas whereas he lost 10 due to it.

Seb is the ulimate qualifier along with Hamilton. To be behind him at 35 is not a big issue. He had a problem free race in Bahrain and got a podium for it.

If Ferrari have him on the #1 driver package, then a downgrade is required. Seb needs to be #1 and Kimi his support act.

Jolle
Jolle

Emmcee wrote:
Maybe even underrated.

What happened to him last year? Didnt he finish over a 100 points behind alonso which is what equivalent to more than 4gp wins? And Ferrari didnt even win a race last year so that alone proves the consistancy he once had. Even this year he is behind seb who has had to fit into the day to day running of Ferrari compared to kimi who knows what to expect and would most likely have had input in this years car to prevent another humiliation like last season. Yeah iam an f1 geek but an f1 geek who tells it how it's seen and doesn't over hype when there isn't anything there. Iam not denying how good kimi WAS, but he isn't the same now and weather people like it or not IMO that's how it is.

And still, they have all the data (GPS, reaction times, etc etc), they can compare that with 4 other top drivers, more then enough money to buy him out of his contract. And they still kept him for 2015. Or they are very very stupid at Ferrari (with the change of management even twice) or the data shows that he has still got a big upper hand on the other drivers.

It's not like the manager bends over the pit wall, looking at the car's go past: "oh, thats a quick one, lets get him".

Emmcee

Jolle wrote:
Emmcee wrote:
Maybe even underrated.

And still, they have all the data (GPS, reaction times, etc etc), they can compare that with 4 other top drivers, more then enough money to buy him out of his contract. And they still kept him for 2015. Or they are very very stupid at Ferrari (with the change of management even twice) or the data shows that he has still got a big upper hand on the other drivers.

It's not like the manager bends over the pit wall, looking at the car's go past: "oh, thats a quick one, lets get him".
Who else could they get to replace him this season? No body but talks are already put that Bottas is getting his seat next season. I've heard every kimi excuse under the sun, "the car doesn't suit him that's why he can't match alonso" or "this season the car is much more suited to his style" what has happened? He was struggling to match Massa before he got sacked at the end of 2009 and Massa got smashed by alonso, that's why kimi got smashed by alonso aswell, simply because he isn't on that level anymore. He used to be, infact he was the most exciting driver to watch and iam not really a kimi fan but I will admit he was certainly entertaining before he lost that edge.

wickedz50
wickedz50

Age is catching up with Kimi at the moment and in the era of highly talented rookies we have to agree that he is over-rated. There is no edge left and its sad. Errors have increased over the years now and lack of aggression clearly shows that he does not want to take risk at the twilight of his career. Ferrari definitely needs new blood and I do not agree that Bothas can be an apt replacement for Kimi. Ferrari is a very conservative team and they need to break some old rules to accommodate fresh blood.
We should not be basking in old glory and keep supporting Kimi at Ferrari any further than 2015. A spark of light every now and then will come but no consistency.

GPR-A duplicate2

Emmcee wrote: but at the start of the season they have consistantly said the car is better suited to kimi,
Anyone remember "All Hail" Mr. Arrivebenne telling the world, how he ORDERED the designers to change the weight balance of the car and how HE ENSURED the car SUITS KIMI? Either "All Hail" Mr. Arrivebenne is just an id**t, or even if the car was changed to suite Kimi, he is just a pathetic driver who couldn't make use of it. I vote for both though.
evered7 wrote: If so, why would they give Kimi a cushion?
Because the best talent is SEIZED. Neither Lewis, nor Rosberg are available. Ricciardo cannot get out of Red Bull, such is their binding contract. Bottas, well Mr. Toto has to decide that as he (and Mika) is managing him. Although Grosjean and Hulk are much better drivers than Kimi, Ferrari need some marketable drivers. Ferrari aren't bold enough to trust a raw new talent and blooding them in their car.
evered7 wrote: If Ferrari have him on the #1 driver package, then a downgrade is required. Seb needs to be #1 and Kimi his support act.
I thought Lewis had cleared that doubt long back, when he said, Vettel and Fernando have #1 clause in their contract. Kimi is already playing support act. In Bahrain, Kimi was like "I AM GOING TO OVERTAKE HIM", meaning "Can I do that, clear me before I commit the CRIME, I obey you".
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 15 Jun 2015, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.

evered7
evered7

Emmcee wrote:
Who else could they get to replace him this season? No body but talks are already put that Bottas is getting his seat next season. I've heard every kimi excuse under the sun, "the car doesn't suit him that's why he can't match alonso" or "this season the car is much more suited to his style" what has happened? He was struggling to match Massa before he got sacked at the end of 2009 and Massa got smashed by alonso, that's why kimi got smashed by alonso aswell, simply because he isn't on that level anymore. He used to be, infact he was the most exciting driver to watch and iam not really a kimi fan but I will admit he was certainly entertaining before he lost that edge.
He got the WDC in 2007 beating a certain Alonso. Helped Massa to the brink of WDC in 2008. Routed Grosjean in 2012/13 and that's why Ferrari signed him for 2014.

Is Kimi overrated? No. He might no longer have the qualifying speed for whatsover reasons but he does the job for Ferrari at the moment. He was screwed by the Ferrari pit crew in Australia where a certain 5th place was available. So 108 vs 82. Not a bad return for someone who is supposedly overrated. And for the money Vettel is getting this season, he certainly needs to be on the podium in every race if he starts in the top4.

Only reason for getting Bottas would be to lessen the price paid for the second driver. Otherwise he isn't really an upgrade for Kimi. If and when he does a demolition job of Massa, he can be considered for the other seat.

GPR-A duplicate2

evered7 wrote: He got the WDC in 2007 beating a certain Alonso.
The world is such an idiotic place, isn't it. All of them say, Kimi won because two highly rated drivers were taking points of each other. Rubbish. Kimi WON ALL ON HIS OWN, by demolishing the so called greats, alonso and lewis. THAT IS THE TRUTH. :evil:
evered7 wrote: If and when he does a demolition job of Massa, he can be considered for the other seat.
Exactly what Mr. Vettel did to Ricciardo in 2014. That is how you earn the place in Ferrari.

evered7
evered7

GPR-A wrote: Because the best talent is SEIZED. Neither Lewis, nor Rosberg are available. Ricciardo cannot get out of Red Bull, such is their binding contract. Bottas, well Mr. Toto has to decide that as he (and Mika) is managing him. Although Grosjean and Hulk are much better drivers than Kimi, Ferrari need some marketable drivers. Ferrari aren't bold enough to trust a raw new talent and blooding them in their car.
Grosjean, Rosberg and Hulk are the best talents you mentioned? :lol: Ricciardo's is to RB what Vettel is to Ferrari. No way he is going to come to Ferrari now. Grosjean (whipped by Kimi in 2012/13) and Hulk (0 podium/win and 1FL/PP in his career in F1) better than Kimi? #-o
Ferrari don't do young drivers but it is not a lack of talent but rather that Kimi suiting the requirements that is keeping him at Ferrari. I wouldn't put Rosberg and best talent in the same line. Being beaten twice in qualifying by a slower Ferrari is not a show of talent. If Kimi's place is in doubt, so should Rosberg's. Also Ferrari don't need marketable drivers, they become marketable because they drive for Ferrari.
GPR-A wrote: I thought Lewis had cleared that doubt long back, when he said, Vettel and Fernando have #1 clause in their contract. Kimi is already playing support act. In Bahrain, Kimi was like "I AM GOING TO OVERTAKE HIM", meaning "Can I do that, clear me before I commit the CRIME, I obey you".
I doubt Lewis knows anything about Fernando's or Vettel's contract when he had to negotiate his for months. Also 'I am going to overtake him' sounded like a information than a permission to me. You interpret it one way, me the other. Can't have any winners here.
GPR-A wrote: The world is such an idiotic place, isn't it. All of them say, Kimi won because two highly rated drivers were taking points of each other. Rubbish. Kimi WON ALL ON HIS OWN, by demolishing the so called greats, alonso and lewis. THAT IS THE TRUTH. :evil:
By that logic, all Lewis did was beat a poor Massa and win on a car in a different league to others by beating again 'a poor Rosberg'.
GPR-A wrote: Exactly what Mr. Vettel did to Ricciardo in 2014. That is how you earn the place in Ferrari.
I think being a 4 time WDC had something to do with it as well, at least a little :D
Last edited by evered7 on 15 Jun 2015, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

Emmcee

The world is such an idiotic place, isn't it. All of them say, Kimi won because two highly rated drivers were taking points of each other. Rubbish. Kimi WON ALL ON HIS OWN, by demolishing the so called greats, alonso and lewis. THAT IS THE TRUTH.
I disagree, if Mclaren had not poorly managed the situation between Hamilton and alonso, there is no way kimi would have won. It was Mclaren's title to loose and they did so by giving to much freedom to Hamilton and alonso and kimi came in to pick up the pieces. In all honesty, Mclaren should have won that title easily, they didnt and good on kimi for doing the job but it isn't a title you can say was earned for a hard fought season because Mclaren were just to fast.

GPR-A duplicate2

Emmcee wrote:
The world is such an idiotic place, isn't it. All of them say, Kimi won because two highly rated drivers were taking points of each other. Rubbish. Kimi WON ALL ON HIS OWN, by demolishing the so called greats, alonso and lewis. THAT IS THE TRUTH.
I disagree, if Mclaren had not poorly managed the situation between Hamilton and alonso, there is no way kimi would have won. It was Mclaren's title to loose and they did so by giving to much freedom to Hamilton and alonso and kimi came in to pick up the pieces. In all honesty, Mclaren should have won that title easily, they didnt and good on kimi for doing the job but it isn't a title you can say was earned for a hard fought season because Mclaren were just to fast.
Please understand the SARCASM in my post. :twisted:

bhall II
bhall II

Almost there...

mertol

3 years with the same car and same performance as Massa.
1 year Alonso mopped the floor with him.
this year consistently beaten by Vettel.
The conclusions - he is an average driver and that Lotus must have been a superb car.