Best ever f1 game?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mertol

Re: Best ever f1 game?

F1 teams can give data to partners with which they have contracts and stuff not to modders.

SimRacer
SimRacer

mertol wrote:F1 teams can give data to partners with which they have contracts and stuff not to modders.
Really? Of course they share it with "partners"...

Well, if that would be true than Codemasters' failures really could be celebrated as being of an epic nature! :lol:

mertol

Does codemasters have anything going on with an actual team or do they just have the rights to create f1 games? I don't think they need input from teams for the arcadish crap they do.

SimRacer
SimRacer

mertol wrote:Does codemasters have anything going on with an actual team or do they just have the rights to create f1 games? I don't think they need input from teams for the arcadish crap they do.
Well, DOES ANYONE have anything going on with an actual team other than just having rights to create F1 games with their image stamped on? :wtf:

SimRacer
SimRacer

To be fair, if anyone has inside info on some F1 Team those are - what do you know - modders...

Team Redline along with a certain Neil Heusinkveld were hired not long ago by a certain energy drinks F1 Team to coach a certain teenager star of the future named Max...

Imagine that, no way that could ever happened right?! Mods and modders not counting as genuine F1 experience and all. And since the top quality MODs are made by teenagers in their parents basement and not by people who actually know a little bit about what they're actually doing...

Here are just a couple of quick examples on why a top quality "MOD" is light years more genuine than any Codemasters or Gran Turismo crappy products:

Yeah Mr. White! YEAH SCIENCE! :D

mertol

Iracing has williams and mclaren partnership they also found real lotus 49 and 79 for scanning and measuring. I think AC has it with Ferrari. What you are showing is exactly what I said - some guy pulling information from everywhere he can hoping it is similar to what he is recreating.

SimRacer
SimRacer

mertol wrote:Iracing has williams and mclaren partnership they also found real lotus 49 and 79 for scanning and measuring. I think AC has it with Ferrari. What you are showing is exactly what I said - some guy pulling information from everywhere he can hoping it is similar to what he is recreating.
iRacing gets all my praise, I'm a member and have spent quite a lot of money on their products. iRacing, Williams and McLaren do have a marketing relationship but it's no more than a brand partnership, and if you think they receive any sort of deep technical details or info on the cars you are fooling yourself (especially when we know that Williams, McLaren, and virtually all of the other teams run versions of rFactor Pro on their simulators and not of iRacing or whatever).

As for the Lotuses, again, iRacing understand marketing like no one else. The laser scanning is a great tool for scanning tracks but on those cars it will assist mostly (if not solely) on the rendering aspect of it as the proper measures are hardly any secret. The laser scanning of the tracks iRacing does is top of the line though and it's where it actually makes a difference.

It's likely however that Kunos Simulazioni, the makers of netKar Pro and Assetto Corsa, does indeed have some better access to some of the Ferrari's data (as it is believed that they commissioned the Ferrari F1 simulators). But if so, all of the data they actually use to create the cars for those titles is already on the public domain as modders have full access to it...

But hey, if you believe Neils Heusinkveld to be just "some guy" grasping at straws and merely guesstimating his work, and that "companies" or "studios" magically do it better or more sophisticated simply by being a legal fiction, then there is nothing else to talk about it. #-o

mertol

Iracing do have data from the teams. Search their forums Eric Hudec is their staff member that talks about this stuff the most.
Measurements include parts weight and position in the car, suspension geometry etc.

The reason teams run rfactor is because they can mod it also iracing's tire model is crappy and doesn't try to simulate any real tire.

SimRacer
SimRacer

mertol wrote:Iracing do have data from the teams. Search their forums Eric Hudec is their staff member that talks about this stuff the most.
Measurements include parts weight and position in the car, suspension geometry etc.
The only sort of data they really get (if they do actually get any) is in regards to the main properties of the car such as weight, its dimensions, the weight distribution, its track, the wheel base, etc (telemetry and detailed aero data? I don't think so!) which will already account for 80 percent or more of how the car actually handles. The rest is subjective, yes, but at the same time almost straight forward to infer from what you already have, which is also exactly what top modders do.

You do seem to think that even the most basic information relating to any particularly race car are impossible to obtain without official team access but I don't that's really the case for the most part.

mertol

Sure, if that is so easy tell me the rotational inertias for this year merc.

Iracing has aero data - at some point someone made a thread that the williams' ride heights start rising again after certain speed (losing downforce) and the staff made a comment that they have information from williams that their wings stall on purpose at certain speed to reduce drag.

rich1701
rich1701

From a nostalgic point of view. No game captured the athenticity, atmosphere of f1 and combined that with an enjoyable gaming experience more than f1 97. On console anyway.

http://youtu.be/-yo8_hUeV2g

you can't help but smile after watching that :)

SimRacer
SimRacer

mertol wrote:Sure, if that is so easy tell me the rotational inertias for this year merc.

Iracing has aero data - at some point someone made a thread that the williams' ride heights start rising again after certain speed (losing downforce) and the staff made a comment that they have information from williams that their wings stall on purpose at certain speed to reduce drag.
I'm pretty certain I never said it was easy. Nor did I ever say anything about rotation inertias as I definitively wouldn't know.

But then again... Who on their right mind would ever give a rats*** about this years F1 cars anyway. :twisted:

Sevach
Sevach

SimRacer wrote:
mertol wrote:Iracing do have data from the teams. Search their forums Eric Hudec is their staff member that talks about this stuff the most.
The only sort of data they really get (if they do actually get any) is in regards to the main properties of the car such as weight, its dimensions, the weight distribution, its track, the wheel base, etc (telemetry and detailed aero data? I don't think so!) which will already account for 80 percent or more of how the car actually handles. The rest is subjective, yes, but at the same time almost straight forward to infer from what you already have, which is also exactly what top modders do.

You do seem to think that even the most basic information relating to any particularly race car are impossible to obtain without official team access but I don't that's really the case for the most part.
I do think Iracing gets data from the teams, when the FW31 came out everybody was surprised with the rear suspension layout the car featured.
Cars that get featured in those games are mostly years old models, the Ferrari coming to AC is the F138, not even the F14T, i don't see the big deal in giving a table of how much downforce an old car generates at certain speeds/ride heights, given that you are already sharing your CG and complete suspension layout.

While i do believe Kunos and Iracing get data, i agree with you that modders "guesswork" deserves a lot of respect, since they get fairly close on their estimatives and the experience of a good mod often matches official content.

SimRacer
SimRacer

rich1701 wrote:From a nostalgic point of view. No game captured the athenticity, atmosphere of f1 and combined that with an enjoyable gaming experience more than f1 97. On console anyway.

http://youtu.be/-yo8_hUeV2g

you can't help but smile after watching that :)
You know what you're quite right!

I never understood why the developers stopped adding the broadcast commentary to the F1 games (should be an option at least during the replays). Not a perfect example, but can anyone imagine playing FIFA or PES without at least having the option for the broadcasts commentaries.

Certainly not realistic having them but many people would enjoy it, and you could always turn it off if you don't.

mertol

I can respect modders work but I still prefer the realistic cars.