Is Goodyear planning on a comeback?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Emmcee

Is Goodyear planning on a comeback?

Been reading that Goodyear are quite tight lipped on the possiblity of returning to formula one. It strikes me as to why such a comment has been made even though they are denying the concideration. Yet in the same article it stats people will know there intention quite soon. Sounds intresting IMO, do you think Goodyear will return and what would it do for racing?
Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: Is Goodyear planning on a comeback?

And where were you reading or seeing this?

Having worked there.. it seems very unlikely. That's my gut feeling.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

SectorOne

Do they even have a motorsport program? What series/car manufacturer in racing do they supply tires to?

Honestly i think Bridgestone might be a better bet. They will leave MotoGP at the end of this season, Pirelli has a contract until the end of 2016.
Enough time to restructure and eventually provide Formula 1 with excellent tires with the "5-6 seconds per lap faster" F1 cars we should expect to see in 2017.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

flynfrog

SectorOne wrote:Do they even have a motorsport program? What series/car manufacturer in racing do they supply tires to?

Honestly i think Bridgestone might be a better bet. They will leave MotoGP at the end of this season, Pirelli has a contract until the end of 2016.
Enough time to restructure and eventually provide Formula 1 with excellent tires with the "5-6 seconds per lap faster" F1 cars we should expect to see in 2017.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

SectorOne wrote:Do they even have a motorsport program? What series/car manufacturer in racing do they supply tires to?
:wtf: :roll:

they have a crowd of motorsport interests, also through their Dunlop brand.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Emmcee

Manoah2u wrote:actually, they are NOT interested.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/goody ... -contract/
That's exactly what I said but if they wernt intrested in the first place, then why the story? That's got me raised abit on suspicion.
Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.

SectorOne

Manoah2u wrote:
:wtf: :roll:

they have a crowd of motorsport interests, also through their Dunlop brand.
I don´t follow NASCAR and don´t know much about the company. Hence asking the question here on a technical forum with people that obviously know more then me about this.

reading their wiki now i can see that they have many many years of motorsport experience, think i confused the company with some other one.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Emmcee wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:actually, they are NOT interested.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/goody ... -contract/
That's exactly what I said but if they wernt intrested in the first place, then why the story?
Because there's always speculation and rumor rampant in racing.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

giantfan10
giantfan10

Goodyear is the most successfull formula 1 tire supplier ever.

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

giantfan10 wrote:Goodyear is the most successfull formula 1 tire supplier ever.
Haha yeah after reading the comment about even having a motorsports program this is the first thing that came to mind:

Then NASCAR

Then this:

Andres125sx

Don´t know about Goodyear, but Michelin actually is

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =1&t=22757

It would be great if they both return, and teams can choose between Pirelli, Michelin and Goodyear.... but I won´t put a cent on that

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Andres125sx wrote:Don´t know about Goodyear, but Michelin actually is

It would be great if they both return, and teams can choose between Pirelli, Michelin and Goodyear.... but I won´t put a cent on that
no way there will be 3.

Goodyear vs Michelin
Goodyear vs Pirelli
Pirelli vs Michelin

there are only so much 'top teams' to race at the front. Both suppliers want to battle for having the tire that serves most podium and top 6 cars. With 3 suppliers, that is just not gonna be worth it for the competitors, and it'll end up being the backmarker teams or middle teams that battle out tire 'wars'. not interesting for the tire provider so there will not be a 3rd one for sure.

either 1 supplier: Pirelli or Michelin, or 2: Pirelli AND Michelin.

Andres125sx

Manoah2u wrote: no way there will be 3.
[...]
there are only so much 'top teams' to race at the front.
What you say could be applied to engine manufacturers too, but there are 4, so 3 tire manufacturers does not look crazy

Mercedes
Ferrari
McLaren
RedBull

At least if Renault and Honda manage to solve their problems in this and next season to provide competitive PUs in 2017

Ok I admit I´m very optimistic thinking 4 teams will be able to fight for the championship, but why not?

langwadt
langwadt

Manoah2u wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:Don´t know about Goodyear, but Michelin actually is

no way there will be 3.

Goodyear vs Michelin
Goodyear vs Pirelli
Pirelli vs Michelin

there are only so much 'top teams' to race at the front. Both suppliers want to battle for having the tire that serves most podium and top 6 cars. With 3 suppliers, that is just not gonna be worth it for the competitors, and it'll end up being the backmarker teams or middle teams that battle out tire 'wars'. not interesting for the tire provider so there will not be a 3rd one for sure.

either 1 supplier: Pirelli or Michelin, or 2: Pirelli AND Michelin.
I believe one of the tires manufactures said they wouldn't consider anything but an exclusive deal
when a car wins its the team that's good, when car doesn't win it is because they didn't have the right tire