Michelin to comeback in 2017 IF 18 inches rims

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Michelin to comeback in 2017 IF 18 inches rims

That´s all they say, you can save the time to translate it (spanish), the rims change is a must for them

http://www.marca.com/2015/06/16/motor/f ... 83591.html

sgth0mas

Re: Michelin to comeback in 2017 IF 18 inches rims

As cool as it would be, i dont think itll happen. Bernie doesnt want a long lasting tire, and the teams dont care much for 18 inch rims. Its nice to dream...

Michelin seem to be proving a point and trying to capitalize on fragile pirelli tires given their comments in the article below.

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/ ... supply-bid

Vasconia

It would be great to have 18 inch tyres which work with a great consistency. Furthermore I would like to see wet tyres which actually work not like those sh*tty pirelli tyres.

But about the durability? the 2015 Pirelli tyres last a lot of laps (too much in my opinion) so I cannot see a great improvement in this area.
Last edited by Vasconia on 17 Jun 2015, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

Phillyred

It's silly for Michelin or anyone to think that Pirelli can't make a longer lasting tire for F1. I imagine Pirelli is under a directive or guidelines by the FIA etc to make tires with certain parameters including longevity. I'm sure Pirelli could make a tire that would last an entire race if the interest was there.

Andres125sx

sgth0mas wrote:As cool as it would be, i dont think itll happen. Bernie doesnt want a long lasting tire
Pascal Couasnon wrote:If the request is for more pit stops then there is a way to provoke them, but also with tyres that do not degrade as much. Maybe we need to find a solution that respects some guidelines.

sgth0mas

"Bernie Ecclestone told AUTOSPORT last month Michelin's return would be bad for F1.

The 84-year-old stated the French manufacturer would "make a rock-hard tyre you could put on in January and take off in December because they don't want to be in a position where they can be criticised"."

dren

sgth0mas wrote:"Bernie Ecclestone told AUTOSPORT last month Michelin's return would be bad for F1.

The 84-year-old stated the French manufacturer would "make a rock-hard tyre you could put on in January and take off in December because they don't want to be in a position where they can be criticised"."
I have to agree with Yoda on this one.
Honda!

Manoah2u

sgth0mas wrote:"Bernie Ecclestone told AUTOSPORT last month Michelin's return would be bad for F1.

All part of the game.

I have no doubt there will be 18" rims in 2017 either way. Zero doubt. It will happen. teams will try to act like they don't want it and moan about possible weight disadvantages making the cars slower, but it's part of the game to try and play the ball a bit more in their park. As in; we don't want it. BUT, if you guys were to loosen up some weight regulations or throw us a bone in another department, then we'll state we've found common ground and happy with the agreement we've reached with the FIA regarding 2017 regulation push.

Same with what Michelin is playing regarding the everlasting tire compound vs bernie.

Michelin has a good right to demand from bernie that they're not going to be pushed into a position where they'd risk having exploding tires with all the bad publicity results. So play hard, slam the hand on the table. In the end, Michelin will come to terms with bernie/fia that they're not demanding to make a super-spec tyre, but a tire that'll wear but not in the severity that is now demanded from pirelli. They'll probably back this up by claiming the research on the new 18inch format would give too much if they also need to rocket-science their way into 'mortar-proof' tires.

Pirelli will have a say in it and they'll find common grounds. I would expect pirelli to provide tires a tad cheaper but wearing a bit more, and Michelin going for tires that are a bit more expensive but wear less [ and are easier to tune-in ].

I expect both want more advertising in F1, too so expect to see more pronounced 'sponsoring' and trackside logos.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

dans79

Bernie is bad for F1, yet he is still around!
197 104 103 7

flmkane

I completely disagree with that. In fact, I will outright accuse Bernie of spreading misinformation.

The problem with the current Pirellis is not the fact that they are soft, the problem is that they are utter sh**

It is entirely possible to make a tyre that last 15-20 laps, WHILE being pushed flat out. Just make tyres that have a sharp drop in performance after 15 laps of punishment, instead of utter crap that only last for 1-2 laps flat out, then instantly degrade.

In fact, tyres from pre 2007 WERE like that (except 2005). Anyone who watched races from back then will remember that.

Ofcourse, the current formula makes designing tyres harder because of the lack of testing. So one cannot put the ENTIRE blame on Pirelli.

Andres125sx

I must insist...
Pascal Couasnon wrote:If the request is for more pit stops then there is a way to provoke them, but also with tyres that do not degrade as much. Maybe we need to find a solution that respects some guidelines.
Michelin is not trying to bring everlasting tires, but tires that do not degrade as much

As flmkane said, that wouldn´t be new, the new and odd strategy is current tires that can´t be pushed too hard...

sgth0mas

Everyones well aware of your original post, no need to repost especially when ignoring bernies comments. The point is that bernie and the teams dont like the idea. And everyone is well aware of michelins goal as well.

Theres no point in arguing anything actually since this isnt verifiable until the bidding process is over with. There isnt even data on the strategy michelin suggested.

wesley123

flmkane wrote:

I completely disagree with that. In fact, I will outright accuse Bernie of spreading misinformation.

The problem with the current Pirellis is not the fact that they are soft, the problem is that they are utter sh**
Bernie isn't spreading misinformation, Bernie is making a perfectly reasonable accusation on Michelin's bid. Michelin's bid is entirely focused on their wishes, it has to change for them. Michelin obviously suggest these changes to play in line with their expertise. Thus, they do not want to play in a playing field where their expertise is not, which brings us to Bernie's accusation of "they don't want to be in a position to be criticized".

Another view of the accusation is that Michelin doesn't want to do a Pirelli, where everyone complains about the tires. But here is the joke; people will complain either way. If they aren't too soft people will complain of tires being too hard, or how no one needs to stop anymore for fresh tires etc. etc.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PlatinumZealot

Paddy Low says that 18 inch tyres will have less grip than 15 inch tyres. Any tyre experts in da house?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

wesley123

I suppose the low-thread tires michelin suggest have less "suspension" in them than the current tires, requiring compensation from the suspension. Also larger rims would be heavier, thus, more inertia.

It's like how they say the rules cut downforce; They'll claw it back very easily.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender