Silly season 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Re: Silly season 2016

So are we all thinking that Raikkonen is out the door, or do we think that a run of results after summer would still be enough to save him?

I do wonder what would happen if the new Findia turns out to be on Williams pace - another two cars that could sit in the Quali gap between Vettel and Raikkonen.

Can't see any movement at Red Bull, and nothing at Toro Rosso either.

As far as Red Bull go in general, I don't take their quit threat seriously. Just look at their driver academy - there is a lot of investment there. Maybe if they stopped taking on single seater drivers or release a bunch then we can start talking about the team going, but until that happens it's all rubbish IMO.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

ChrisF1 wrote:So are we all thinking that Raikkonen is out the door, or do we think that a run of results after summer would still be enough to save him?

I do wonder what would happen if the new Findia turns out to be on Williams pace - another two cars that could sit in the Quali gap between Vettel and Raikkonen.

As far as Red Bull go in general, I don't take their quit threat seriously. Just look at their driver academy - there is a lot of investment there. Maybe if they stopped taking on single seater drivers or release a bunch then we can start talking about the team going, but until that happens it's all rubbish IMO.
I'm thinking Raikkonen is going to stay put 1 more year in F1 @ Ferrari as long as he performs well. Though the 'strategic' error was partly due to the team last qually resulting in a Q3 exit for Kimi, the truth be told that Kimi could have hammered in a better time.

Kimi's not been at his game since i'd say atleast 2 years. I can't recall well when was the last time he showed his 'kimi-power' but iirc it was @ lotus and iirc it was the race where he said -yeahyeahyeah leave me alone i know what i'm doing.

my memory can serve me wrong, but the truth be told that that's what kept hanging in my head, and as far as the Ferrar-Kimi, he imho is a grey mouse, in the background, silent, somewhere in the field but i've no clue where.

That concidered, i'd say there's a big chance he's out of F1 next year. UNLESS he'll hammer in some solid results for the remainder of the year.

I just don't see Kimi going elsewhere, so that'll be it. I don't see Ferrari taking Alonso back either. And i don't see Alonso anywhere else next year.

Ask me now?

2016:

AMG Mercedes : Hamilton & Rosberg
Ferrari Scuderia : Vettel & Hulkenberg/Button
Williams : Bottas & Massa
RedBull : Ricciardo & Verstappen
Toro Rosso : Sainz & Gasly
Sauber : Nasr & Ericsson
Mclaren : Alonso & Button/Magnussen
Force India : Hulkenberg/Ocon & Perez/Wehrlein
Haas : Guitterez & Vergne
Renault : Grosjean & Palmer
Manor : Merhi & Stevens
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Illustrated Tech
Illustrated Tech

Can Lotus survive next year without Maldonado's cash - surely he'll stay for another season?

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Not seeing any mention of Jordan King so far, is he not the son of a major investor in Manor?

Seems to be a good chance he'll be involved with the team next year, thought he linked as a development driver this year (Quite how they were going to do that I don't know!)

pob

For new pay drivers like Jordan King, their hopes will rest on how much the FIA sticks to their guns over the new superlicence points system. As things stand, I don't think King qualifies for a superlicence.

PlatinumZealot

Manoah2u wrote:
Ask me now?

2016:

RedBull are waiting for the number 1 driver to appear and a good supportive number 2. Kvyat is shaking the nest a bit, but he is starting to deliver the goods. A good chance he will be there next year.

As for Torro Rosso, It's a scripted two year deal for those two drivers. there will be no change.

@ Lotus... Jolyon is pay driver. Maldonado is a pay driver. Grosjean is not. It all depends on their priorities who they chose. but I am certainly sure Jolyon's money is not high enough to displace Maldonado's!
I cannot see Lotus selling out to Renault unless things get really bad, would they sacrifice the best engine on the grid for a better survival? Could be possible. In that case I can see Grosjean have a firm hold on his seat.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NAPI10
NAPI10

Whats the logic behind ‘Not to have 2 German drivers’ at Ferrari ?

Hail22

Didn't know where to put this article, but it seems Todt is asking for Formula 1 to give him an official mandate to fix the sport:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/give- ... lls-teams/

In my humble opinion, Jean Todt with full power would mean Formula 1 will go to smaller units such as the 4 cyl Turbo hybrid model or even as drastic as hydrogen fueled vehicles.
Last edited by Hail22 on 27 Jun 2015, 13:40, edited 2 times in total.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

From that very article it shows he didn't ask that at all.

raymondu999

NAPI10 wrote:Whats the logic behind ‘Not to have 2 German drivers’ at Ferrari ?
Marketing I believe
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Emmcee

Manoah2u wrote:
ChrisF1 wrote:So are we all thinking that Raikkonen is out the door, or do we think that a run of results after summer would still be enough to save him?

I'm thinking Raikkonen is going to stay put 1 more year in F1 @ Ferrari as long as he performs well. Though the 'strategic' error was partly due to the team last qually resulting in a Q3 exit for Kimi, the truth be told that Kimi could have hammered in a better time.

Kimi's not been at his game since i'd say atleast 2 years. I can't recall well when was the last time he showed his 'kimi-power' but iirc it was @ lotus and iirc it was the race where he said -yeahyeahyeah leave me alone i know what i'm doing.

my memory can serve me wrong, but the truth be told that that's what kept hanging in my head, and as far as the Ferrar-Kimi, he imho is a grey mouse, in the background, silent, somewhere in the field but i've no clue where.

That concidered, i'd say there's a big chance he's out of F1 next year. UNLESS he'll hammer in some solid results for the remainder of the year.

I just don't see Kimi going elsewhere, so that'll be it. I don't see Ferrari taking Alonso back either. And i don't see Alonso anywhere else next year.

Ask me now?

2016:

Why wouldn't Ferrari want alonso back? They didnt want him to leave, they tried to offer a contract extension till 2019 but fernando left using his "clause" in the contract which I Beleive was something along the lines of, if he wasnt within a 100 points of the championship leader by the end of 2014 he can leave as I think he was technically under contract for this year. Vettel was just the alternative.
Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Emmcee wrote: Why wouldn't Ferrari want alonso back? They didnt want him to leave, they tried to offer a contract extension till 2019 but fernando left using his "clause" in the contract which I Beleive was something along the lines of, if he wasnt within a 100 points of the championship leader by the end of 2014 he can leave as I think he was technically under contract for this year. Vettel was just the alternative.
I don't know, there are so many stories around that i honestly don't know what's true anymore.
Alonso having a hefty battle of words with a prominent Ferrari positioned person....Alonso being dumped by Ferrari and it being shown as if he leaves voluntaraly......i don't know what's true anymore.

Either way, i don't see Alonso back exactly because of Vettel. Vettel is the fresh new start Ferrari needs, and just look at the result. Can't say Alonso would have done better or worse, it's just a different Ferrari then when Alonso was there.

not pointing fingers too much, but i find it 'typical' that Alonso seems to be in the same situation with Mclaren [well, worse actually] as he was in Ferrari last year.

The Alonso-Ferrari chapter is simply over. It just won't happen. Alonso going back to Renault/Lotus, Mclaren as he did, yes - but Ferrari simply is a different story. I don't even see Alonso going to Mercedes if Rosberg or Hamilton would leave.

I give Alonso at best 5 years in F1. Of which if he's lucky, Mclaren or whatever team he goes to, is able to house a championship-contending car for perhaps 1 or 2 seasons. He'll be lucky if he can actually get another WDC under his belt.
He had the potential, he had the racecraft, but for a good amount of years, circumstances have changed - not for the good.

If Mclaren doesn't solve their issues this year, then next year is going to be Alonso's last and final F1 season, together with Kimi. Because i don't see Mclaren able to jump into a championship-contending team next year. Ferrari? yes. Mclaren? no.
and that would hurt Alonso even more.

So no, i don't see Alonso having a long lifespan in F1 anymore. Not because Alonso isn't capable of being a champ, or that he has no value anymore, but because at a certain moment you just had enough and you see the effort isn't worth it anymore. He can go to the WEC, LeMans, and Indy, and i wouldn't doubt he's able to win there.

2017: Exit Button, Raikkonen & Alonso. I can see Massa doing a barrichello-career, unfortunately.

So in 2017 itll be Hamilton & Massa being the oldest/most experienced f1 guys on the grid, with Lewis having a couple of years to go still.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

bhall II
bhall II

It might be safe to say that Bottas is Ferrari-bound.
grandprix.com wrote:Valtteri Bottas is not ruling out staying with Williams in 2016.

His comments come amid swirling speculation about the highly-rated young Finn' future, with Germany's Bild reporting this week that Ferrari is already beginning to wave its chequebook.
That's a negotiating tactic. Alonso did the same last year to get more money out of Ron Dennis (before Vettel's surprise made it a moot point).
Reuters, 2 Sep 14 wrote:"It's not my intention at the moment to move," [Alonso] said. "I want to win for Ferrari. I want to win here and finish the job that we started some years ago."
Arrivabene is playing his part, too.
planetf1.com wrote:"If I gave you the list of drivers who have called me since the start of the season," he told Gazzetta dello Sport. "Bottas is one of many.

"The Ferrari is the car everyone dreams of driving, but there are only two seats and both are full."
Sooo, Raikkonen to Haas?

SilverArrow10

Raikkonen to retire, no one else can afford his salary and haven't already got the drivers they need, and he has already said Ferrari will be his last team
Last edited by SilverArrow10 on 29 Jun 2015, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

I think

Mercedes : Hamilton / Rosberg
Ferrari : Vettel / Bottas
Williams : Massa / Hulkenberg
Fi : Perez / Vandoorne
Lotus : Grosjean / Maldonado or Ocon
Red Bull : Ricciardo / Kvyat
Toro Rosso : Sainz / Verstappen
McLaren : Alonso / Magnussen
Sauber : Nasr / Ericson
Haas : Marciello / Alexander Rossi
Manor : idk

Button to Porsche for Le Mans, and IndyCar with Honda. Raikkonen idk.