Silly season 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Re: Silly season 2016

Red Bull already pulled out of Nascar once. They had their own team. Cant see them going back as a sponsor
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Vandoorne will test for Super Formula..

Racer X

If Alonso takes the next season off while Honda work on a better engine. Who would take the seat for a year? I mean I'm sure it would have to be one of the McLaren drivers. But who do you guys think'?
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Tauri_J
Tauri_J

He wont leave or take a year off before 2018. Fred has said it like hundred times already.

djos

Tauri_J wrote:He wont leave or take a year off before 2018. Fred has said it like hundred times already.
Agreed, it would make no sense for him to sit out next season, especially as the chassis seems to be decent.
"In downforce we trust"

Racer X

I asked purely in a speculative way. I also don't think he would. But I asked IF he did who would take that seat'?

I was watching SkySports for the race and they several times talked about this. "Sabatical" ..

Joseki
Joseki

Why take a sabbatical next year when the car clearly improved a lot in the second half of the season?

Racer X

Joseki wrote:Why take a sabbatical next year when the car clearly improved a lot in the second half of the season?

I don't know ask Alonso and SkySports.

I'm purely wondering if he does would they take Magg or Stoffel Vandoorne. Also who would YOU guys pick if he were to take the Sabatical who would YOU pick.
Personally I would give Vandoorne a try. In the event Alonso takes a Sabatical which I don't think he will BUT IF HE DOES. I would enjoy seeing Vandoorne....

I think even if McLaren struggle he should drive. Honda will be better then it is now.

bhall II
bhall II

From Ron Dennis' perspective, it doesn't make sense to pay someone $40 million to drive a car that has virtually no chance to fight at the front of the grid next year. As such, it would be better to "pause" Alonso's contract for a year and then start up again in 2017 with (hopefully) a competitive car.

iotar__

I thought too about financial reasons for starting this circus by Dennis, McLaren has less and less sponsors, no prize money and high costs etc. but:
- I don't believe in the concept of sabbatical - IMO it would be retirement or (unlikely) other team, one year off would be too costly sporting wise and Alonso is 34.
- they pay Button 18 million (?) why not get rid of him instead?
- even in the upper mid-field results, exposure and money can depend on a driver making a difference - divide that from costs, add marketing and Honda's part in paying drivers
- unless I'm missing something talking about it publicly looks like the worst idea, is Dennis losing it under pressure? He suddenly started talking about Magnussen blaming him. Kova, Perez, Alonso and Magnussen - yeah it's all their fault.

Racer X

http://gtspirit.com/2015/11/20/aston-ma ... rs-emerge/
"Fresh renders have emerged showing how the Aston Martin F1 team and car would look like should the Force India – Aston Martin rebranding deal go through successfully."__gtspirit.com

My opinion:
These are probably renders made in order to have a visual representation of what the team could look like for the purpose of having something to show their voting members so that they can gain approval for the move with Force India. I don't believe it has any weight on the actual livery. Tho if they do go with this blue the Telmex logo would add itself quite nicely.$$ Force india could gain lots and lots more sponsorship with Johnny Walker adding to the Funding that Hulkenberg and Perez Bring.

McMrocks
McMrocks

Racer X wrote:http://gtspirit.com/2015/11/20/aston-ma ... rs-emerge/
"Fresh renders have emerged showing how the Aston Martin F1 team and car would look like should the Force India – Aston Martin rebranding deal go through successfully."__gtspirit.com

My opinion:
These are probably renders made in order to have a visual representation of what the team could look like for the purpose of having something to show their voting members so that they can gain approval for the move with Force India. I don't believe it has any weight on the actual livery. Tho if they do go with this blue the Telmex logo would add itself quite nicely.$$ Force india could gain lots and lots more sponsorship with Johnny Walker adding to the Funding that Hulkenberg and Perez Bring.
They could at least have taken a Force India. That's a Williams Martini with Johnny Walker on it

zeph
zeph

bhall II wrote:From Ron Dennis' perspective, it doesn't make sense to pay someone $40 million to drive a car that has virtually no chance to fight at the front of the grid next year. As such, it would be better to "pause" Alonso's contract for a year and then start up again in 2017 with (hopefully) a competitive car.
I read Honda pays Alonso, not McLaren.

Vasconia

zeph wrote:
bhall II wrote:From Ron Dennis' perspective, it doesn't make sense to pay someone $40 million to drive a car that has virtually no chance to fight at the front of the grid next year. As such, it would be better to "pause" Alonso's contract for a year and then start up again in 2017 with (hopefully) a competitive car.
Yes, so tell Honda that Alonso is leaving the team for a year, pure nonsense.

Alonso is getting older, a year out of F1 would damage him. The car will be clearly better next season, so at least he could enjoy the races more and prepare himself for his final season and final attempt to win the WC in 2017.

iotar__

Vasconia wrote:
zeph wrote:
Yes, so tell Honda that Alonso is leaving the team for a year, pure nonsense.

Alonso is getting older, a year out of F1 would damage him. The car will be clearly better next season, so at least he could enjoy the races more and prepare himself for his final season and final attempt to win the WC in 2017.
I think you also deserve -1 from some anonymous clueless stalker. I'm glad moderation took care of that.