Vettel was going to sue after "multi 21"

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Emmcee

Re: Vettel was going to sue after "multi 21"

evered7 wrote:
“It seemed the thought of me simply being quicker was not one he could entertain,” Webber wrote.
Sign of a champion. He had 10 poles to 5 of Webber in 2010. It is natural to think that he cannot be slower than Webber since the only season where Webber had a hint of a challenge to Vettel was in 2010.

Mark 'maintain the gap' Webber should not talk about following team orders.
I think 2010 rattled webber, after that he couldn't come anywhere near seb. Seb had to make a mistake in qualy for him to grab pole only to be swamped of the line. Vettel knew how to break webber after that.
Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Andres125sx wrote:
ChrisF1 wrote:
Emmcee wrote: Webber more so outpaced seb in 2010 until the support went to the other side of the garage and while webber was ahead on points and wins.
Is that the same season I watched, as I seem to remember Vettel would have walked it without reliability failures at the start of the year.
To be fair, he did some rookie mistakes, you can´t blame the car that won both the WCC and WDC despite those rookie mistakes.

He crashed with Webber in Turkey and also with Button... Spa? while loosing the car under braking
Vettel also lost two wins & 40 WDC points in the opening two races due to car failures, and a win in Korea, again due to car failure. By rights it should've never been close, even with Vettel's driving mistakes.
Andres125sx wrote:Ok guys, I agree, both of them did many mistakes so neither of them deserved the championship, the well-earned champion was Alonso :mrgreen:
Alonso cost himself a couple of big points hauls in Britain & Spa through driver errors. :wink:

It's like the Lance Armstrong TDFs here trying to find the correct champion. :lol:

WaikeCU

I think the Vettel before he won championships, made quite a lot of errors considering the material he gets. Winning his first title changed everything.

Consider it more like losing your virginity. The first time isn't the greatest experience and there will be a few bumps along the way, but the more you nail it, the better/clinical you become. :P

FW17

Emmcee wrote:
I think 2010 rattled webber, after that he couldn't come anywhere near seb. Seb had to make a mistake in qualy for him to grab pole only to be swamped of the line. Vettel knew how to break webber after that.

Sounds like what Marko said about Grit

But still the laugh was 2010 Hungary when Vettel backed the field for a MW benefit and get a drive through penalty

Mark was good in Europe but as he showed year after year he was always going to take a beating in the tilkedromes at the beginning and end of the season. With or without team/vettel support.

Emmcee

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Emmcee wrote:

Sounds like what Marko said about Grit

But still the laugh was 2010 Hungary when Vettel backed the field for a MW benefit and get a drive through penalty

Mark was good in Europe but as he showed year after year he was always going to take a beating in the tilkedromes at the beginning and end of the season. With or without team/vettel support.
True, I still webbers best drive was his first win, claiming that victory and having a drivethrough was epic. Not as epic as his celebrating radio transmission but still bloody good and it was a popular win IMO, everyone was waiting for it.

Phil

kledaras wrote:Funny reading all the comments crying about seb ignoring a team order, when most of these same people would bash team orders in any other situation (alo massa, msc baric). Oh and i remember seeing a poll, where after malaysian race majority of people said it was bad for vettel to ignore team orders and pass mark. At the same time the same majority said it was not fair for a rosberg to be told to hold station and not to overtake lewis, which happened in the same race. I assume all these discussions about these situations are nothing more than "my driver is best" type of discussion.
Those are two very different situations. What was 'wrong' about multi 21 is that the team essentially made a decision to keep station. That order went out to both drivers. Vettel went rogue when he chose to ignore that order and go on the attack vs a driver who wasn't sure what was happening. The end result was that post race; Webber wasn't sure if the team had betrayed him by giving Vettel a different order or if Vettel was the one who ignored it. It would have been better if the team had not given out any order at all and Vettel had 'beaten' his team-mate fair-and-square. The way he did it though wasn't - one was following team-orders, the other wasn't (and took advantage of it).

On Rosberg and Hamilton; They had their little fight - Rosberg tried, but couldn't pull it off until the team (Ross) decided to intervene and tell them both to hold station. This wasn't favoritism that permitted Hamilton to be the one on the podium, but the fact that Malaysia is their largest sponsor and contributors (Petronas) home-race, so a podium was of up-most-importance. They couldn't afford to have both drivers clash out and DNF. It was also their first podium I think for a long time and after sub-par seasons in 2010-2012, the podium 2013 in Malaysia was a very important highlight for the team and their sponsor(s).

So while team-orders can always be considered "wrong" - they are sometimes necessary. Like when both drivers are on differing strategies and find themselves behind one another on the track, it may be crucial to not stand in your own way for the best possible result. When both drivers are in direct battle with one another, it gets harder to judge what is right and wrong; sometimes the team may chose to hold station if they feel it's for the good of the team or for the WDC consideration, if a result is important and you can't trust your drivers to bring it home (or damage their car by pushing over the limit, i.e. Canada 2014). Then there are other team-orders like ordering drivers to "swap position" which are even less justifiable, though sometimes from the teams-view necessary. Sometimes also, the team makes the morally wrong decision by imposing team-orders (Mercedes: Hungary 2015). It's a difficult topic; we aren't watching a drivers sport, we are watching a *team-sport* - one made up of 2 drivers, their engineers, one or two strategist and hundreds of employees in the garage or at the factory. Then you also have the money value to consider, sponsors etc.

But yeah, multi-21 - the issue wasn't the order, it was how Vettel dealt and took advantage of it. We'll sadly never know how it would have turned out if there had been no multi-21 order that day and Webber was fully aware that Vettel behind was on the attack.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Roman
Roman

The article doesn't say Vettel was going to sue, it says that his lawyer sent RB a letter stating that the Multi 21 order was a breach f contract of RBR.

Well, if I had a contract that says something like "no teamorders to my disadvantage" and my employer signs it and then issues such a team order, I would complain, too. And on this level you have your lawyer send a letter.

So no threat to sue and no letter bc vettel was about to get a reprimand.

evered7
evered7

Phil wrote:
kledaras wrote:Funny reading all the comments crying about seb ignoring a team order, when most of these same people would bash team orders in any other situation (alo massa, msc baric). Oh and i remember seeing a poll, where after malaysian race majority of people said it was bad for vettel to ignore team orders and pass mark. At the same time the same majority said it was not fair for a rosberg to be told to hold station and not to overtake lewis, which happened in the same race. I assume all these discussions about these situations are nothing more than "my driver is best" type of discussion.
Those are two very different situations. What was 'wrong' about multi 21 is that the team essentially made a decision to keep station.
Maintain the gap. I bet Mark knows very well about it. And his 2012 Brazilian GP antics as well at the start.

2013 at the start was a close season and one can see why Vettel wouldn't want to sacrifice a win un-necessarily when Webber wasn't so willing to be a team player in the previous seasons.

PlatinumZealot

Emmcee wrote:Seems like webbers new book has let a juicy fat cat out the bag already.
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... 7s_lawyer/
Number 1 status: Confirmed.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Andres125sx

Jonnycraig wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:Ok guys, I agree, both of them did many mistakes so neither of them deserved the championship, the well-earned champion was Alonso :mrgreen:
Alonso cost himself a couple of big points hauls in Britain & Spa through driver errors. :wink:
Britain... do you mean when passing Kubica he forced Alonso out of the track, and he was who received a drive-through penalty that was served after a SC so he ended up at the back of the pack?

About Spa yes, that was a driver error under the rain when trying to recover from 10th grid position

Moxie
Moxie

This changes my perspective on the situation. Since the days of Prost, Senna and Mansell, team orders have been an issue. Today's drivers must have team orders very well defined in their contracts (shame on them if they don't). Despite, what was said over the radio, Vettle was free to race, and I don't fault him for doing so.

Emmcee

Moxie wrote:This changes my perspective on the situation. Since the days of Prost, Senna and Mansell, team orders have been an issue. Today's drivers must have team orders very well defined in their contracts (shame on them if they don't). Despite, what was said over the radio, Vettle was free to race, and I don't fault him for doing so.
I understand that but he was part of a team, a team that built him the car he needs to fight. Now when they tell him to drop revs and hold position, he should do it, no driver is bigger than the team they drive for. He also made his intensions clear when they asked him to move over for ricciardo last season. He did it but he made his intensions and feelings clear.

Moxie
Moxie

Vettle is a jerk, no doubt about it. However, drivers race to win.

The fault here really lies with Christian Horner. Agreeing to any contract where the driver may place his personal interest above the interest of the team, was really stupid...mind bogglingly stupid.

I certainly do not blame Weber for being pissed at the lot of them, especially his friend and business partner who stabbed him in the back.

Emmcee

Moxie wrote:Vettle is a jerk, no doubt about it. However, drivers race to win.

The fault here really lies with Christian Horner. Agreeing to any contract where the driver may place his personal interest above the interest of the team, was really stupid...mind bogglingly stupid.

I certainly do not blame Weber for being pissed at the lot of them, especially his friend and business partner who stabbed him in the back.
Yeah, well said.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

For those who haven't read the book, Webber is actually very complimentary about SV and his main issue is with Horner & Marko.

He actually states that he believes Alonso & Vettel are the quickest drivers in F1 for a generation, and is very proud to have been teammate to both of them.