Extra laps in formula 1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Extra laps in formula 1

I think races should have extra laps added on when there is a safety car. Think of injury time in football but instead for f1 you use a certain factor to determine how many extra laps you add on depending on the number of safety car laps. I think this wil add more drama and a "reverse strategy" to the races when it comes to fuel and tires. The downside is if we keep these fuel rules the drivers will not have extra fuel to push with since the car has to drive further.

For example:
Safety car laps > extra laps
4 > 3
5 > 4
6 > 5
And so on.

This way we get more laps of racing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Emmcee

Re: Extra laps in formula 1

PlatinumZealot wrote:I think races should have extra laps added on when there is a safety car. Think of injury time in football but instead for f1 you use a certain factor to determine how many extra laps you add on depending on the number of safety car laps. I think this wil add more drama and a "reverse strategy" to the races when it comes to fuel and tires. The downside is if we keep these fuel rules the drivers will not have extra fuel to push with since the car has to drive further.

For example:
4 > 3
5 > 4
6 > 5
And so on.

Yeah I've always thought this. Don't they do it in NASCAR and Indy?
Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

Emmcee wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:I think races should have extra laps added on when there is a safety car. Think of injury time in football but instead for f1 you use a certain factor to determine how many extra laps you add on depending on the number of safety car laps. I think this wil add more drama and a "reverse strategy" to the races when it comes to fuel and tires. The downside is if we keep these fuel rules the drivers will not have extra fuel to push with since the car has to drive further.

For example:
4 > 3
5 > 4
6 > 5
And so on.

Nascar does green-white-checker. Indy does not. It really only prevents a race from finishing under caution.

Emmcee

sgth0mas wrote:
Emmcee wrote:

For example:
4 > 3
5 > 4
6 > 5
And so on.

Nascar does green-white-checker. Indy does not. It really only prevents a race from finishing under caution.
Oh I see, so they only get that one lap to the finish?

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

It would be two...the lap after the green, then the white, then finish at checker. If theres another caution...they can repeat the process a few times.

Racers have ran out of fuel due to green white checkers and effectively lost the race.

ian_s

they would have to bring back refuelling for this to work, and do something about the 100kg race fuel limit.

eniacon

ian_s wrote:they would have to bring back refuelling for this to work, and do something about the 100kg race fuel limit.
And maybe the 2 hour time limit as well? Singapore would be a prime example.

mertol

No need for another gimmick. Finishing behind safety car is very rare and adding laps will only make it more likely to reach the 2 hours limit.

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

The teams will have even more trouble managing fuel than they already are.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

Moxie
Moxie

I don't have a problem with it, and I don't find it to be a gimmick. It does provide another point for strategic adjustment. No longer will the safety car provide a source for free fuel. Teams that start the race with the minimum fuel will be taking a gamble that there will not be a safety car. How much additional fuel a car carries to compensate for the possibility of a safety car will vary from team to team depending upon how they estimate the likely number of safety car laps. It provides the potential for the rearward teams to gamble in the other direction, hoping that other teams will be forced to box while they stay on track. As I have said with other suggestions, I do not think this will "fix" F1, but it will help to reduce the predictability that has become the norm.

bdr529

What do you do in the case of last years Canadian GP ?, Massa and Perez crash on the last lap.
would you still circulate the cars around behind the safety car till the accident was cleaned up ?
Ricciardo had less then a lap to go and this may have extended the race 7 laps longer (4 behind the safety car + 3 extra)

Or would you only race the number of laps scheduled left in the race ? in this case 1 lap ( 70 total)

Moxie
Moxie

bdr529 wrote:What do you do in the case of last years Canadian GP ?, Massa and Perez crash on the last lap.
would you still circulate the cars around behind the safety car till the accident was cleaned up ?
Ricciardo had less then a lap to go and this may have extended the race 7 laps longer (4 behind the safety car + 3 extra)

Or would you only race the number of laps scheduled left in the race ? in this case 1 lap ( 70 total)
I'd leave it up to race control and hope they do what is the safest for all involved. Planning for specific scenarios is not the point. The unpredictability of it all, and the team's decisions on how to manage that unpredictability will decide who wins the race.

Emmcee

If they do it how they do it now, it must remain consistant. Who remembers the 2003 Brazilian gp? What a mess that turned out to be, Fisichella won, then he didnt , then he did. Something has to be put in place and kept to those specific guidelines and not something so difficult so the odd "outsider" who tunes in doesnt know what is going on, like they do today with these rediculous penalties.

Moxie
Moxie

Emmcee wrote:If they do it how they do it now, it must remain consistant. Who remembers the 2003 Brazilian gp? What a mess that turned out to be, Fisichella won, then he didnt , then he did. Something has to be put in place and kept to those specific guidelines and not something so difficult so the odd "outsider" who tunes in doesnt know what is going on, like they do today with these rediculous penalties.
The FIA have proven to be a bunch of nincompoops when it comes to enforcing all types of F1 rules. No matter what the rules are, the FIA will find a way to screw it up. My comments were really intended to look at the suggested rule change in its own right.

Emmcee

Moxie wrote:
Emmcee wrote:If they do it how they do it now, it must remain consistant. Who remembers the 2003 Brazilian gp? What a mess that turned out to be, Fisichella won, then he didnt , then he did. Something has to be put in place and kept to those specific guidelines and not something so difficult so the odd "outsider" who tunes in doesnt know what is going on, like they do today with these rediculous penalties.
The FIA have proven to be a bunch of nincompoops when it comes to enforcing all types of F1 rules. No matter what the rules are, the FIA will find a way to screw it up. My comments were really intended to look at the suggested rule change in its own right.
Yeah, iam down with that and iam sure most will be to.