Which brands or teams would you like to see in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zeph
zeph

Which brands or teams would you like to see in F1

There is a thread like this on the autosport forum, and I thought it would be interesting to discuss it here.

Recent history indicates that F1 is not necessarily a good fit for manufacturers, with Mercedes being the one exception. Toyota, Honda, BMW, Jaguar, you name it, they did not succeed.

But in a perfect world, which brands or teams from other racing disciplines would you like to see in F1?

My first pick would be Ford, as works team or PU supplier. They are the only US team with an international racing pedigree and F1 history.

It would be good to have GM in F1, too, but I don't think it would make sense for any of their brands. Maybe Opel, but they have little to gain there.

VAG should have presence in F1, but I don't see that happening. Porsche would be a logical (or desirable) candidate, but I think the stakes are too high for them. They can't risk damage to their reputation if they are not competitive right away, and we have seen that success in F1 usually takes years.

I think BMW does belong in F1, but probably just as an PU supplier. It would make sense, as they have publicly committed to 'hybridizing' their entire vehicle lineup over the next seven years or so.

And yes, that goes for Toyota, too. But I'm afraid their first F1 endeavor has left them permanently averse to F1.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Re: Which brands or teams would you like to see in F1

I'd personally love to see Apple in F1. I'd also just like to see many more brands in F1 full stop!

The problem is that F1 teams need these brands more than brands need F1.

Zamlatuljko458
Zamlatuljko458

My first post here, watching from 2009 , have old account but forgot on which mail is it :D so only aded 458 to my nick

Here is my top 3

Brand from IT is Google or Facebook , I want to see how they will be good in this area of competition

Google can block all news from all other teams and make fake news, Google F1 wins all races in season :D

From Automotive

Alfa Romeo or Maserati

and for the last part

Boing , Airbus or Nasa in formula 1
Ferrari-27-Alesi

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I'd like to see the F1 devoid of "brands". As soon as brands get involved they become the focus and take up a lot of energy, especially from the drivers doing PR rubbish.

I'd like to see automotive and engineering companies involved with F1. It would require the rules to be written to allow proper innovation, of course, and would reduce Bernie's friend's income massively, so it'll never happen.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zeph
zeph

I don't think Apple or Google would touch F1 with a 10-ft. pole. F1 is in so many ways the exact antithesis of Sillicon Valley's mores.
Just_a_fan wrote:I'd like to see the F1 devoid of "brands". As soon as brands get involved they become the focus and take up a lot of energy, especially from the drivers doing PR rubbish.

I'd like to see automotive and engineering companies involved with F1.
I agree with your sentiment, I'd hate to see Nestle F1, or MacDonald's Racing. But it is the way things are done these days. Red Bull Racing, indeed.

Moxie
Moxie

Sans brands would be best.

If brands are necessary:

Shinola

Wild Turkey

Dana

ChrisM40
ChrisM40

I only want to see real engineering or automotive brands in F1. Red Bull are bad enough thanks, a virtual team by Apple would be abhorrent. Google maybe, if it was genuinely them, since they are working on cars internally. I think the regulations are too limited though, they dont allow for innovation any more.

Id like to see a Chinese team, maybe MG now that its Chinese. Some inherited heritage there I guess... :?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ChrisM40 wrote: Id like to see a Chinese team, maybe MG now that its Chinese.
Firstly they would fail the crash tests in a monumental way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ULm6QrC428
and secondly they'd just copy someone's design and then ignore the rightful designer and all protests.
http://uk.businessinsider.com/jaguar-la ... ?r=US&IR=T
:roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Definitely need a Miller Lite car on the grid...
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

Jersey Tom wrote:Definitely need a Miller Lite car on the grid...
Amen to that.

And maybe a jack daniels car?

Sixbarboost
Sixbarboost

Without a doubt;

fritticaldi

what new teams would you like to see in F1?

Tired of seeing small grids and young promising drivers not racing? F1 urgently needs to change its economic structure so that new teams can enter and stay in the sport for several years. Does anyone have any ideas? I would like to see teams like ART, Dams and Carlin Motorsport in F1. I know ART tried a few years ago but withdrew its bid because of a technical supplier i believe it was Michelin tyres.

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

Re: what new teams would you like to see in F1?

I want to say ford...but i actually dont want to see a great company piss away money for nothing. Le mans makes more sense for almost any automake.

Then theres tesla, but formula e makes more sense and even that is doubtful.

Maybe the dallas cowboys?

F1 just seems like a poor investment if you really want to be in it for the racing. Id rather see it knocked down a few pegs and made into a better entertainment value with actual benefit to teams and sponsors.

SimRacer
SimRacer

delete please
Last edited by SimRacer on 18 Sep 2015, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

bdr529

sgth0mas wrote: Maybe the dallas cowboys?
Who needs Jerry, F1 already has a crazy old rich guy