WHAT is Honda doing to Jense??

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jaslfc
jaslfc

speaking of montoya.i think moving to a team like renault and becoming the team leader (first driver) could give him a chance. he is a talent but needs abit more support

ketanpaul

does anybody know who was officially at fault for Jense's pitstop? Was the lollipop man radioed to lift the lollipop or was he unable to see if the fuel rig was detatched?

Jason

ketanpaul wrote:does anybody know who was officially at fault for Jense's pitstop? Was the lollipop man radioed to lift the lollipop or was he unable to see if the fuel rig was detatched?
JB and the lolipop man mistake, JB was impatient to go out but the lolipop man lift it and put it down so when JB gone off the pit box his fuel hose and the rig got seperated and then JB stop and the pit man pulled off the fuel rig before JB left....Nice work from the mechanics 8) :lol:
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

jaslfc
jaslfc

its clearly the lollipop man.. teams practice the pitstops so much that the driver launches the car as soon as the lollipop is raised. and i think it took him a couple of sec to realise. no fault of jb

tinhouse
tinhouse

JB/RB

The thing i've missed this season was that I thought it was going to be a chance to indirectly compare Schumi with some more mortal drivers. RB is the first team-mate of Michael's not to retire fpr years. I thought by comparing Rubens to another driver we might be able to see how good MS really is.

Sadly it's not really happening in any kind of conclusive way. Although I saw a quote from saying that RB should go back to right-foot braking. Wasn't it ages ago that he switched to left-foot? If so surely he would have either got the hang of it or given it up by now?

Matt.

RH1300S
RH1300S

I think you are seeing the RB is very much a class 2 driver. JB is probably there with the top guys on pace, but still seems to be missing the ability to make something of a race that wasn't there for the taking. Kimi, Michael & Fernando all do that (but they have proper help on the pit wall ;)).

Back OT - Honda really need to nail the detail of getting a whole race weekend together. You get the feeling that they are almost doing this a step at a time.........deal with qualifying, then deal with the race and a nod towards linking the two. No question, for Renault & Ferrari the race starts with qualifying and they work to getting an optimum race result from that point on.

Imola was a simple mistake, didn't need to happen; but I don't think it is a reflection of the real issues that need sorting out.

Tom

JB should have stopped immediatly. As a driver he should have been ready.

Easy saying that while on the sofa at home, I know, but suppose another car was coming from behind Button down the pit lane and that was why the boom was lowered again. Had he carried on as he did it could have been nasty, for the merchanics as well as the drivers.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

vyselegend

Tom wrote:JB should have stopped immediatly. As a driver he should have been ready.

Easy saying that while on the sofa at home, I know, but suppose another car was coming from behind Button down the pit lane and that was why the boom was lowered again. Had he carried on as he did it could have been nasty, for the merchanics as well as the drivers.
Yes but don't forget we saw the images on a slow replay so he seemed to take longer . I don't think you can stop a F1 car faster than he did when just launched on first gear. For me, the one to blame is the lollipop guy, who moved I think almost 1 sec (if no more) too soon. THAT is an unacceptable margin! you can anticipate too much by 0.0x sec and it would be comprehensible, but here the guy got it all wrong.

Tom

Has he been fired?
Everyone makes mistakes I suppose, but I agree that was a big one and they were all very lucky that none of that extra fuel you can see on the replay hit the exhaust. That would have been nasty as it would be flying through the air.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Scuderia_Russ

The guy was in line for a podium and was pumped, as soon as the lollypop was raised he was gone. The pitwall might very well have told him to stop because he didn't look to see the lollypop when it went back down.

vyselegend

Tom wrote:Has he been fired?
I don't think so. JB told after the race that this guy ensured it will never happen again. I think he is lucky because he did this spectacular mistake precisely the day when most of the crew got it wrong (remember RB first pit with the fuel rig problem, then the rear right wheel problem in JB's pit). The truth is it was a big mess in Honda's pit sunday, they should all be fired lol!
And I agree it could have been a big dramma, have the fuel made contact with exhaust... Those guys really must put themselves together.

dumrick
dumrick

That guy was the Chief Mechanic, as a matter of fact.
That's why Ferrari has the mirrored lollypop, that is a good idea!

f1.redbaron

dumrick wrote:That guy was the Chief Mechanic, as a matter of fact.
That's why Ferrari has the mirrored lollypop, that is a good idea!
The guy's name is Alistair Gibson, and, yes, he is the chief mechanic. Those of you watching Speed TV coverage, you'll remember Steve Matchett mentioning him quite frequently. Matchett speaks highly of him.

btw, did anybody else find it funny how Gibson tried to stop Button with the lollypop?

I found these pictures of the incident:

dumrick
dumrick

f1.redbaron wrote:btw, did anybody else find it funny how Gibson tried to stop Button with the lollypop?
Funny, it was, but I saw it more like an instinctive reaction when he perceived that is timing was terribly wrong...

Ignis Fatuus
Ignis Fatuus

It was instinctive. When something like this happened to Montoya at Williams, the man with the lollipop even put his foot in front of the car, trying to stop it.
And it is not somethimg you would do consciously, is it?