Numbers of Hamilton and Senna

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: Numbers of Hamilton and Senna

Just_a_fan wrote:I'm not aware of Hamilton ever comparing himself to Senna
But you can be sure he do, they´re racing drivers... not, they´re F1 drivers, you can´t find bigger egos out there! :mrgreen:

Not blaming Hamilton, I´m sure Alonso and Vettel also compare theirselves with Ayrton. Some others maybe did some time ago, until they realiced even some drivers in current grid are faster than they, but while they can feel they´re the fastest in the grid, I´m sure they compare with the greatest of all time, so they compare with Ayrton

BTW, IMO current drivers are better than those praised in gold days. Profesionalism can´t be compared, now you can´t imagine a F1 driver smoking, preparation neither, current programs are too advanced to be compared with some decades ago, learning curve is another important factor, now they´re racing since they´re 6 years old or even sooner so they almost have more experience racing than walking, and another very important factor is media impact, wich causes more people trying. I´ve always said fastest man in the world actually is not fastest man in the world, but fastest from those who tried. Today there are a lot more people trying, so it´s easier to find talented people.

Senna obviously was one of the greatest and fastest of all time, but I´m not sure if he could compete with Lewis or Alonso.

I don´t waste too many time thinking about this tough and even writing this is a waste of time to me, I´m too pragmatical to waste my time thinking about something wich can´t be solved

NathanOlder

Yeah, Its not possible to compare different era's directly. Like all sports really. In football, a championship layer would run rings around Pele, Best, Maradonna. Its just the way the sports evolve.

What we can say is, todays standards are so high because of the greats of each Era. e.g Prost in his day was the bench mark, Ayrton edged the bar a little higher, Schumacher pushed next, then Alonso, Now Seb and Lewis are pushing it on. in 10 years we could be saying Verstappen , Wehrlein pushed it even further.

Its good to compare stats, but not to the point of saying who would win in a race.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

PlatinumZealot

I would like to apologize for announcing this is Hamilton's 8th attempt at Brazil. It is actually his 9th. Some poor maths on my part.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏