Bernie finally quitting!?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sebp

Bernie finally quitting!?

This was just on German news:

http://www.zdfsport.de/bernie-eccleston ... 26138.html

It basically says he'll "sell F1". I know he doesn't exactly own the sport and the article is pretty vague.

Does anyone have another source for it?

Edit: Found another German news source, but nothing in English so far, sorry: http://www.sport1.de/motorsport/formel1 ... r-formel-1
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

Moose
Moose

Re: Bernie finally quitting!?

Ahhhhhhh! Well now it all makes sense. The reason he's put the sport into a death spiral is because he's been trying to pump as much money out of it with no thought for the future he won't be involved in.

piast9
piast9

Well, something is on. Here's an article in Polish: http://www.sport.pl/F1/1,96296,18981297 ... l#MTstream

Roughly translating:
"Bernie wants to sell F1". He said that there will be new owner of F1 since the end of the year. There is 33,5% shares which belong to the CVC Capital and 5% of Bernie's personal shares to buy. As potential buyers the article gives the Quatar Sports Investment and Stephen Ross. They also write, that the potential buyer will face the difficulties with dropping number of spectators, especially in Europe. The CVC, which have controlled F1 so far, was gradually selling their shares for few years already. The price of the shares packet is estimated at 7,5 billion $ (that's what buyers want to pay) to 9 billion $ (that's what BE wants). BE seems to be sure that despite that discrepancy the transaction should be completed since the end of the year.

dans79

197 104 103 7

Sebp

I just hope it's not too late to turn things around... :(
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

dans79

Sebp wrote:I just hope it's not too late to turn things around... :(
if the new owner keeps Bernie on, nothing will change.
197 104 103 7

ClarkBT11

http://en.f1i.com/news/27825-f1-ownersh ... stone.html

Ecclestone expects to remain involved in the running of the sport, telling AP: "The people that I've spoken to ... have asked me if I would stay." :twisted:

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Commercial F1 as it is today, is because Bernie pushed everybody (unwillingly) there.

Bernie is not F1.
F1 is not bernie.
F1 will be fine.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

zeph
zeph

I wouldn't be surprised if he's selling to Mateschitz/RedBull.

Andres125sx

ClarkBT11 wrote:http://en.f1i.com/news/27825-f1-ownersh ... stone.html

Ecclestone expects to remain involved in the running of the sport, telling AP: "The people that I've spoken to ... have asked me if I would stay." :twisted:
... to reconsider the purchase if I have planned staying involved :lol: :lol:

He´s 84, did anyone tell him people at that age is retired for many years?

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

The more pertinent question is what do CVC know that leads them to want to get rid of a profitable business before the end of the year..

Moxie
Moxie

Jonnycraig wrote:The more pertinent question is what do CVC know that leads them to want to get rid of a profitable business before the end of the year..
It is not a secret. In fact it has been discussed in the F1 Technical threads many times. The business model of F1 is not sustainable. It most closely resembles a complicated pyramid scheme which depends on an annual supply of new suckers to supply fresh cash to the sports-like entertainment. The show is then marketed to egotistical leaders of nations so said leaders can show of some bling, while their citizens suffer the enormous cost of such a spectacle.

The business model has the following problems:

The enormous cost and inequitable payout scheme has created a situation where performers in the show (teams) are dropping out faster than potential replacement performers (suckers) can be found. The current formula for compensating performers cannot be maintained.

Current hosts balk at the exhorbitant price and crazy annual increases of hosting a GP, yet the group of nations that can afford to host the bling is limited. Financial growth at the current rates cannot be maintained.

Investors invest for financial growth. Even if F1 remains profitable, the rate of profit is likely to diminish as the prospect for growth is limited.

The only question I have is whether, after BE' is gone, F1 will be capable of reorganizing itself into a viable, sustainable sport?

wesley123
wesley123

F1 has been sold before(it happened pretty frequently) and Bernie stayed on back then, he'll stay on this time as well
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

turbof1

Jonnycraig wrote:The more pertinent question is what do CVC know that leads them to want to get rid of a profitable business before the end of the year..
Oh that's simple: Let's take our BCG-Matrix to it:
Seems obvious that F1 is currently a cash cow becoming a dog. Its market value currently is still relative high, but if CVC does not sell F1 soon, the value will plummet.
#AeroFrodo

mclaren111

Commercial F1 as it is today, is because Bernie pushed everybody (unwillingly) there.

Bernie is not F1.
F1 is not bernie.
F1 will be fine.
I think F1 will be better :D

Most important factor is that F1 move away from Money as the central motivation :evil: