Force India and Sauber's EU complaint

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
turbof1

Re: Force India and Sauber's EU complaint

I disagree. However, your arguments do hold weight. I have to fight a very hard urge to post counter arguments, but it's nothing that holds anything definitive. I'll keep it at "let us wait it out". One thing is certain: this will take years at the very least. The microsoft case for instance was much less ambigious and took almost a decade. I'm expecting more for F1. And during that period the concorde agreement also has to be renegotiated.
#AeroFrodo

sectionate
sectionate

I wonder if Bernie has let this happen as some sort of behind the scene powerplay that he hopes to triumph in

bhall II
bhall II

turbof1 wrote:I disagree...
Well, here's a relevant case. It concerns a sporting goods manufacturer that objected to revised football specifications required by FIFA in order to receive an official license.

Quick summary: organizers of sport can't be said to abuse a dominant position through any issuance of rules, because they don't compete within the areas they control, i.e. rules don't offer rule makers a competitive advantage; and no one is ever required to participate under objectionable rules, i.e. there's more than one way to ply a trade.

Keep context in mind: the F1 Commission only proposes the rules; it's the World Motorsport Council that actually implements them.
FIFA (Case COMP/35266) Technical specifications of footballs wrote: [...]

2. Article 82

I first recall that action under Article 82 implies that quite different requirements are fulfilled.
Firstly, the Commission must identify an economic market on which it can be shown that the
undertaking enjoys a dominant position; and secondly, proof must be provided that the
undertaking's behaviour amounts to abuse of that dominant position.

You indicate in your letter of 7 July that producers are obliged to comply with various
requirements under the system: these requirements have been set out in your letter dated 7 July.
The fundamental problem, however, remains that no undertaking can be shown to have abused a
dominant position unless a market can be defined on which that undertaking enjoys a dominant
position: this was the tenor of the letter to yourself dated 3 June. The conclusion reached by the
Directorate-General for Competition was, as stated in that letter, that no relevant market on which
FIFA enjoyed a dominant position could be identified, despite repeated efforts following appeals
for assistance to yourself.

I remind you that careful consideration was given to the various activities of FIFA and to the
effects those activities might have. It was clear from the outset that the FIFA system had an effect
on the market for footballs. It was, however, also clear that FIFA did not itself operate on that
market, which meant that it was necessary to determine, as explained above, whether FIFA did
operate and enjoy a dominant position on any particular market.

You identify a market for quality certification. The Commission agrees, but FIFA is not present
on this market and can thus a fortiori not hold a dominant position on it, since it is simply, for the
purposes of the FIFA system, the customer of an independent body carrying out such tests, the
Swiss organisation EMPA.

As for your observations concerning trade-mark rights, I would simply observe that there seems
to be no possible objection to FIFA requiring a fee for use of its trade mark, subject only to third
parties' rights to contest the validity of such trade mark in the usual way. Manufacturers remain
free to subscribe to the FIFA system or not, according to their own commercial judgment. Certain
manufacturers indeed achieve commercial success while remaining outside the system.

You consider there exists a linkage between rulemaking and economic activities within sport.
You adduce as authority for that statement the Commission Decision concerning the 1990 World
Cup7. Allow me to point out that in that case FIFA's activity was examined as organiser of a
sporting event on an economic basis, no reference to the rulemaking activities of FIFA being
made. In the present case, while it is true that the rules of the game were changed, introducing a
text to allow for the FIFA system, there is no general requirement to subscribe to that system,
whether as organiser of competitions or as manufacturer or supplier of equipment, as explained in
the previous paragraph of this letter. The rulemaking activities of FIFA are accordingly not
relevant for the purposes of market analysis under Article 82.

Where no dominant position can be established on a relevant market, no abuse can take place
and, accordingly, there can be no infringement of Article 82.

[...]

turbof1

Remember: the F1 Commission only proposes the rules; it's the World Motorsport Council that actually implements them.
But has no power at all to make any changes to them. It's either accept or deny. Not really quite black and white when it comes down who is the regulatory force. Nor I even believe anywhere near relevant, since the issue at hand entitles unfair distribution of the price money, which has nothing even to do with the WMSC.

Furthermore, your example entitled a sporting criteria. Sauber and Force India are not attacking any sporting or technical regulations. Sorry Bhall, but that's not a precedence:
I first recall that action under Article 82 implies that quite different requirements are fulfilled.
Firstly, the Commission must identify an economic market on which it can be shown that the
undertaking enjoys a dominant position; and secondly, proof must be provided that the
undertaking's behaviour amounts to abuse of that dominant position.
The issue Sauber and Force India have, is not even with the FIA, but with the FOG/FOM, which can be seen as an economic market due it entitles economic activities, where as the characteristics of a football does not (strictly speaking; it excludes potentional manufacturers based on technical criteria, but that's not quantifiable). Entirely different case. Just because it's another sport does not mean it acts as a precedence. The issue at hand is with the commercial rights holder, let's make that clear! And the commercial rights holder is not by definition the organizer of the sport, but the exploitant.

I'll repeat: we'll have to wait out and see.

(Why did I reply! Bhall, don't tempt me into doing this bro :lol: )
#AeroFrodo

dans79

turbof1 wrote: The issue Sauber and Force India have, is not even with the FIA, but with the FOG/FOM, which can be seen as an economic market due it entitles economic activities, where as the characteristics of a football does not (strictly speaking; it excludes potentional manufacturers based on technical criteria, but that's not quantifiable). Entirely different case. Just because it's another sport does not mean it acts as a precedence. The issue at hand is with the commercial rights holder, let's make that clear! And the commercial rights holder is not by definition the organizer of the sport, but the exploitant.
I still fail to see how they expect to win anything. They signed a contract to provide a service to a customer, and now they are pissed, because they found out other suppliers have special bonuses, because the other suppliers are deemed to be more important to the customer. This seems a lot more like an attempt at public/legal blackmail than actually trying to win anything through the legal system.
197 104 103 7

turbof1

dans79 wrote:
turbof1 wrote: The issue Sauber and Force India have, is not even with the FIA, but with the FOG/FOM, which can be seen as an economic market due it entitles economic activities, where as the characteristics of a football does not (strictly speaking; it excludes potentional manufacturers based on technical criteria, but that's not quantifiable). Entirely different case. Just because it's another sport does not mean it acts as a precedence. The issue at hand is with the commercial rights holder, let's make that clear! And the commercial rights holder is not by definition the organizer of the sport, but the exploitant.
This seems a lot more like an attempt at public/legal blackmail than actually trying to win anything through the legal system.
Which it is. However, they would not be the first desperate entity to blackmail. They know how long the Commission usually takes. They might have left the sport by the time the Commission comes near anything conclusive, so they'll definitely be hoping for a better deal in the meanwhile.

Let's also not forget that customers are economic players on markets too. We got used to suppliers being the bad guys, but customers can abuse markets too, hence my mention a few pages back of the FOM being a monopsonist. I don't feel there's any relevance towards contracts. Contracts are made every day on markets; it's market abuse or even the potential to abuse markets that counts, even if contracts are completely legal and by the book.
#AeroFrodo

bhall II
bhall II

turbof1 wrote:(Why did I reply! Bhall, don't tempt me into doing this bro :lol: )
I'm not trying to tempt you into anything. But, you are mistaken here.
racer.com wrote:Earlier this month the EU agreed to look into a complaint made by Force India and Sauber over what the teams claim to be an "unfair and unlawful" division of F1's revenues and setting of the rules.
Where and how the rules originate is irrelevant. They're published by the FIA upon approval by the World Motorsport Council. There's no other mechanism in which rules can be enacted.

And the marketplace business model we discussed earlier largely inoculates FOM from charges of abuse, because FOM and the teams don't compete within the same market. The former sells the sport's various licensing products, while the latter essentially sells appearances. (Each team has one main contractual obligation: show up for every race.)

I agree that none of this is black-and-white, if for no other reason than the Commission's prerogative to make its own determination about jurisdiction.
...the approach followed to date, at least outside the sports sector, confirms that one must determine whether an entity acts as an "undertaking" in a particular case in light of the particular activity at issue in that case.
I'll put it this way, though: I'd much rather be on Ecclestone's side here, because it seems his opponents will need to move mountains in order to win.

turbof1

And the marketplace business model we discussed earlier largely inoculates FOM from charges of abuse, because FOM and the teams don't compete within the same market. The former sells the sport's various licensing products, while the latter essentially sells appearances. (Each team has one main contractual obligation: show up for every race.)
The FOM does not need to be a competitor. It has to be market player, either customer or supplier. They don't compete on the same market, but they act on the same market. That's all that counts. (EDIT: well, I have to make a small correction on this: market 'agents' who are not customer or supplier, but still have any effect on the market -like for instance governments- can all be accounted for. So it's not just limited to customer or supplier.)

Also:
Earlier this month the EU agreed to look into a complaint made by Force India and Sauber over what the teams claim to be an "unfair and unlawful" division of F1's revenues and setting of the rules.
I'll agree here and now they'll not win anything concerning the setting of the rules, however let's not stay blind and look at the word "and" and what's written before that: "division of revenues". The revenue part is at the FOM, the regulatory part at the FIA/WMSC. Let's make sure to understand that they are adressing both of them, perhaps even completely separately.

I got a little bit confused there since you were putting heavy emphasis on the rules. I was under the impression Sauber and Force India only tried to go after the commercial rights holder. It does not change their chances, in my eyes, against the FOM though.
#AeroFrodo

bhall II
bhall II

turbof1 wrote:The FOM does not need to be a competitor. It has to be market player, either customer or supplier. They don't compete on the same market, but they act on the same market. That's all that counts. (EDIT: well, I have to make a small correction on this: market 'agents' who are not customer or supplier, but still have any effect on the market -like for instance governments- can all be accounted for. So it's not just limited to customer or supplier.)
I think you may have been a bit too hasty when you dismissed this earlier.
I remind you that careful consideration was given to the various activities of FIFA and to the
effects those activities might have. It was clear from the outset that the FIFA system had an effect
on the market for footballs. It was, however, also clear that FIFA did not itself operate on that
market, which meant that it was necessary to determine, as explained above, whether FIFA did
operate and enjoy a dominant position on any particular market.

You identify a market for quality certification. The Commission agrees, but FIFA is not present
on this market and can thus a fortiori not hold a dominant position on it, since it is simply, for the
purposes of the FIFA system, the customer of an independent body carrying out such tests, the
Swiss organisation EMPA.

[...]

Where no dominant position can be established on a relevant market, no abuse can take place
and, accordingly, there can be no infringement of Article 82.
Despite the crystal clear impact it has on the relevant market, FOM does not directly benefit from a revenue disbursement scheme that favors some over others, because total payout is the same regardless of how it's allocated.

There's also the issue of interchangeability. Force India and Sauber can't perform FOM's role any more than FOM can perform Force India and Sauber's roles, which suggests they don't operate within the same relevant market.
As for your observations concerning trade-mark rights, I would simply observe that there seems
to be no possible objection to FIFA requiring a fee for use of its trade mark, subject only to third
parties' rights to contest the validity of such trade mark in the usual way. Manufacturers remain
free to subscribe to the FIFA system or not, according to their own commercial judgment. Certain
manufacturers indeed achieve commercial success while remaining outside the system.
In that regard, no team is obligated to accept FOM's terms (or the FIA's rules, for that matter), because Formula One is not the only racing series in the world, as at least one of the complainants is well aware...

Direct precedents are few and far between, because the regulatory entity of a sport and the marketing entity that administers the sport's various commercial interests are typically one and the same. That's not the case here. Plus, the entity I tend to generically label "FOM" is actually multiple entities such as CVC, Delta Topco, Bambino Holdings, etc. By design, shell games like that are notoriously difficult to penetrate.

Whatever the case may be, Bob Fernley expects a relatively quick resolution, and he's indicated that Force India and Sauber are aiming for back payments from previous deals...
grandprix.com wrote:"If everything goes well," explained Force India deputy Bob Fernley, "we could get an answer by Christmas.

"Otherwise, I think it will be no later than the 2016 pre-season before we know" if there will be an investigation, he added.

Fernley said that if the Commission simply rules that an investigation is justified, Force India and Sauber will be halfway to ending the alleged injustices governing F1 today -- perhaps by Ecclestone electing to broker a compromise.

"Experience shows us that people like to avoid a lengthy investigation," he said, "because it interferes with business."

And the pot of gold for the struggling midfield teams would be if the so-called 'privileged teams' are forced to pay back the disputed bonus payments, triggering a redistribution to the tune of many millions of euros.

Fernley argues: "Whatever is wrong now and in the future was also wrong in the past."
If so, this could get indescribably ugly.

turbof1

I think you may have been a bit too hasty when you dismissed this earlier.
I have not. I have made a remark on that inbetween brackets in one of my earlier posts and I still see it as irrelevant. I have my good reasons to do so, but I find myself battling the itch to reply on something that neither of us can definitely prove or disprove. We'll have to wait and see (which again can take years, since the promise towards investigation does not mean any promise to solution :( )
#AeroFrodo

bhall II
bhall II

It should go without saying that nothing said here is definitive one way or the other. So, treat my comments as though the word "arguably" precedes every action verb within statements related to jurisdiction and process.

turbof1

bhall II wrote:It should go without saying that nothing said here is definitive one way or the other. So, treat my comments as though the word "arguably" precedes every action verb within statements related to jurisdiction and process.
Which I complete back ;).

I can't resist replying on this. If it itches too much, you end up scratching anyway right?
There's also the issue of interchangeability. Force India and Sauber can't perform FOM's role any more than FOM can perform Force India and Sauber's roles, which suggests they don't operate within the same relevant market.
This makes me believe you still see FOM and Sauber/FI having to be competitors as a requirement (please correct me if I see that wrong). They don't have to be. Being an economic agent on the market is enough. A supplier usually cannot be a customer and vice versa. interchangeability is not a requirement. Infact the only requirement out there is market manipulation. I like to reiterate: force india and sauber are suppliers, FOM is customer being a monopsonist. In my eyes it's adequately obvious the FOM operates on the market, even if it's just a front for CVC and the FOM does not benefit from it. Does not matter: it manipulates the market and a direct agent on the market as monopsonist. It only makes the case more difficult to disentangle to figure out how the money streams flow, as you said. However, the Commission has shown to be able to do this in the past (albeit on a slow pace).
In that regard, no team is obligated to accept FOM's terms (or the FIA's rules, for that matter), because Formula One is not the only racing series in the world, as at least one of the complainants is well aware...
That'll depend on how the Commission interprets things. One could argue Formula One is the only racing series Sauber and Force India have the compatibility to race on, with other racing series having too different requirements in material, machinery and know-how. In simple terms: you can't ask an apple producer to switch to pears since the both are fruits. If that gets accepted is another. Again, the Commission is fickle and unpredictable in these things.
#AeroFrodo

bhall II
bhall II

Abuse of a dominant position in the light of legal provisions and case law of the European Communities wrote:1.1 Definition of the relevant market for the purposes of article 82
of the EC Treaty

The application of article 82 of the EC Treaty requires the Commission to
prove that an entrepreneur or entrepreneurs accused of illegal practices
occupy the dominant position. However, due to the lack of any formalistic
definition of dominance, its ascertainment always requires detailed economic
analyses to be conducted.

Firstly, an economic analysis of the market has to be conducted in order to
define the relevant market, in which a given entrepreneur or entrepreneurs
operate. Three elements are important for such an analysis: product market,
geographical market and the time factor. An entrepreneur can have market
power only in the context of the supply of particular goods or services.
Because of this, the product market has to be defined first.

1.1.1 The product market

In principle, the approach of the Commission and European courts to the
definition of the product market has focused upon interchangeability: the
extent to which one product can be replaced in the market by another because
of its features, application or usefulness for a specified purpose
. This issue
should be examined from the point of view of supply and demand. From the
demand side the idea of interchangeability requires some investigation of
cross-elasticity of the product in question. Cross-elasticity is high if the
increase in the price of a product, e.g. beef, will lead to a situation in which the
majority of customers decide to replace it with a cheaper product, e.g. pork or
mutton. High flexibility indicates that examined products are part of the same
market. If it is difficult to obtain reliable data the Commission bases the
analysis on other factors to state whether products are really interchangeable.
Among other things, prices and physical features of products are taken into
account. The degree of interchangeability can also be influenced by supply
factors. Even if entrepreneurs conduct businesses that are not identical, each
is able to adapt his production lines to manufacture a competitor’s products
relatively easily. In such a situation, both products can be considered as part
of the same market.

[...]

1.3 Definition of abuse for the purposes of article 82 of the EC Treaty
1.3.1 General issues

An entrepreneur can be punished under article 82 of the EC Treaty only if it
has been proven that he has abused his dominant position. As mentioned
above, the very fact that someone has the dominant position is not prohibited
in the light of Commission practice and court judgments

Because of this, it is vital to define precisely what should be understood as
‘abuse’. References concerning this issue indicate four problems which must be
taken into account when checking whether some behavior constitutes ‘abuse’.

Firstly, it has to be decided who is covered by the protection pursuant to
article 82 of the EC Treaty - whether they are consumers, competitors or both
groups. It has to be stressed here that the interests of these groups do not
always converge, what is more, the behavior of an entrepreneur occupying the
dominant position, harmful for his competitors, can be advantageous for
consumers in specific cases.

Secondly, it is assumed that, although having a dominant position is not illegal
as such, an entrepreneur occupying such a position has a special
responsibility for his behavior, which should not worsen competitive
conditions in the market. The differentiation adopted in the literature has to
be stressed here: it is acceptable for an entrepreneur occupying a dominant
position to take steps aimed at the protection of his interests if threatened by
activities initiated by competitors but the strengthening of the dominant
position is illegal and shall be considered an abuse. It is stressed that the
practical application of such a differentiation is difficult and should always
depend on the detailed analysis of the circumstances of a specific case.

Thirdly, the problem of ‘abuse’ always refers to specific market behavior. One
should be able to distinguish illegal actions from normal market strategy. It is
not correct to assume that normal and rational price policy of a dominant
entrepreneur is a symptom of abuse of the dominant position
. Such an
assumption would mean the sanctioning of each activity of the entrepreneur
occupying the dominant position. On the other hand, classification of specific
behavior in the market which can constitute a symptom of abuse of the
dominant position is not sufficient, as such, to decide that such an abuse has
taken place
. A complete analysis of specific types of behavior as well as
existing market conditions in which such behavior occurs is necessary.

Fourthly, one has to remember that the abuse of a dominant position in one
market can be sanctioned due to the effects of that abuse in other markets, in
particular, when the entrepreneur occupying the dominant position in
a particular market controls access to another market.

Finally, commentaries to the Treaty distinguish two types of situation, in
which the previsions of article 82 of the EC Treaty are applicable, i.e.
exploitation (behavior harmful to the interests of the consumer) and anticompetition
practices (behavior harmful to competitors). However, it has to be
stressed that this division should not be treated as separate because specific
behavior by the dominant entrepreneur can result in both types of effect
mentioned above.

[...]
Despite the FIA's position as the sole authority with an ability to grant entry to the FIA Formula One World Championship, the text I italicized above would seem to be the complainants' best chance for a favorable outcome. Otherwise, given the underlined text, they don't seem to have much of a case.

Again, in no way do I consider any of this definitive. But, it's there nonetheless.

On a related note, I think it's virtually guaranteed the Commission will decide to investigate, if for no other reason than to set a precedent or two where none currently exist.
To Abuse, or not to Abuse: Discrimination between Consumers wrote: The proposition that discrimination between consumers can constitute ‘abuse’ has not been argued before the Community Courts so far and the literature has mainly progressed on the premise that Article 82(c)EC applies to discrimination against downstream undertakings, as a result of which the disfavoured undertakings cannot effectively compete with the favoured ones.

turbof1

On a related note, I think it's virtually guaranteed the Commission will decide to investigate, if for no other reason than to set a precedent or two where none currently exist.
Now we are getting to a mutual point! What you underlined in the quoted pieces of documents don't really have any relevance nor anything that excludes the case we have in front of us. While monopsonies exist, they are rare, and even more rare to be brought in front of the Commission (this is probably the first time). It'll allow the Commission to set precedences. 1.1.1. About Interchangeability is looked at in principle, but is not a requirement, rather a discription of demand elasticity of the products. This is not about determining market dominance, rather this is about determining the boundaries of the markets.

The piece you underlined about market dominance refers towards market leaders. As long as market leadership is brought by superiority of the product and without market manipulation, the Commission will deem it fair and will not intervene.

The starting point of the Commission always is and always will be market manipulation. It will be highly interesting to follow this since it steps out of the usual cases the Commission deals with.
#AeroFrodo

bhall II
bhall II

turbof1 wrote:This is not about determining market dominance, rather this is about determining the boundaries of the markets.
Yes, I know. But, absent extenuating circumstances, Firm-A cannot be said to abuse a dominant position to the detriment of Firm-B if Firm-A and Firm-B do not compete in the same relevant market. Hence...
bhall II wrote:
Abuse of a dominant position in the light of legal provisions and case law of the European Communities wrote:The application of article 82 of the EC Treaty requires the Commission to
prove that an entrepreneur or entrepreneurs accused of illegal practices
occupy the dominant position. However, due to the lack of any formalistic
definition of dominance, its ascertainment always requires detailed economic
analyses to be conducted.

Firstly, an economic analysis of the market has to be conducted in order to
define the relevant market, in which a given entrepreneur or entrepreneurs
operate. Three elements are important for such an analysis: product market,
geographical market and the time factor. An entrepreneur can have market
power only in the context of the supply of particular goods or services.
Because of this, the product market has to be defined first.
I know you see FOM and the teams as being competitors within the broad framework of a single market. I do not, because their roles aren't interchangeable. See also: SSNIP test