So glad the season is finally over

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Vasconia

Re: So glad the season is finally over

I see your point and as I have mentioned I didnt last years system so I am happy it was removed. But that 80s system sounds to quite bad because it was another artifial system to keep the WC alive and it was strange. I hope a championship where all the races count the same, its more fair, logic and easy to understand.

astracrazy
astracrazy

This is the first year i have lost some interest. I missed my first race in years for the monaco gp and since then just recorded most and watch a bit in the evening. Fast forward some bits or just find the result online if it was boring.

We have gone through many years of Vettel domination and now we are in a Hamilton/Merc domination period. Although i'm a Hamilton supporter its somewhat getting boring.

I can't really think of some moments this year that i will remember in a few years time

Phil

Vasconia wrote:But that 80s system sounds to quite bad because it was another artifial system to keep the WC alive and it was strange.
The "best N results count"-system is not that uncommon you know - it's used in a few sports. It's also not that different from lets say Tennis, where a best-of-3 or best-of-5 [sets] is used. Doesn't matter how bad you lose a set, if you win both others in a best-of-3.

I guess the reason why it isn't used in F1 anymore is because you don't want to mask DNFs when you want to force manufacturers at the same time to make better reliable cars. It probably wouldn't change much in the grand scheme of things anyway.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. β€” bhall II
#Team44 supporter

santos
santos

astracrazy wrote:This is the first year i have lost some interest. I missed my first race in years for the monaco gp and since then just recorded most and watch a bit in the evening. Fast forward some bits or just find the result online if it was boring.

We have gone through many years of Vettel domination and now we are in a Hamilton/Merc domination period. Although i'm a Hamilton supporter its somewhat getting boring.

I can't really think of some moments this year that i will remember in a few years time
Before the years of Vettel domination we had (since i was born in 1981), Mclaren winning 3 years in row: 1984, 1985, 1986. And four in row: from 1988 to 1991. When Mclaren didn't win, it was Williams. Then came the years of Ferrari domination winning 5 titles in a row.
I don't see much difference now from the 80's. Domination always existed.

Facts Only
Facts Only

Phil wrote:
Vasconia wrote:But that 80s system sounds to quite bad because it was another artifial system to keep the WC alive and it was strange.
The "best N results count"-system is not that uncommon you know - it's used in a few sports. It's also not that different from lets say Tennis, where a best-of-3 or best-of-5 [sets] is used. Doesn't matter how bad you lose a set, if you win both others in a best-of-3.

I guess the reason why it isn't used in F1 anymore is because you don't want to mask DNFs when you want to force manufacturers at the same time to make better reliable cars. It probably wouldn't change much in the grand scheme of things anyway.
Many club/amateur championships still run a best X of Y events championship scoring system. At that level it seems to be mainly in place so that if you have to go to a wedding/birthday/funeral/birth/works party on a weekend you wont be out of thetitle race.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

notsofast
notsofast

This season was simply much more about the cars than about the drivers, perhaps more so than other years. Sure, the Mercedes team was dominant, but look at the entire top 10. The top 10 drivers ended up in pairs, in the same order as the top 5 constructors.

F1 is a technical series. It is almost always the case that the team with the best car ends up with the WDC as well. No complaints about that from me at all. I'm simply saying that the impact of the car was a bit more pronounced this year than in other years, across the entire top 5 teams, not just with Mercedes.

PlatinumZealot

astracrazy wrote:This is the first year i have lost some interest. I missed my first race in years for the monaco gp and since then just recorded most and watch a bit in the evening. Fast forward some bits or just find the result online if it was boring.

I am a Hamilton supporter as well and I have been very bored too. The problem for me lies in the cars and tyres. The cars are too docile and the tyres are tender. Take us back to the days when cars were banshees and Hamilton was wringing the neck and whipping the tail out. I could watch those f1 cars all day.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Joseki
Joseki

What an unpredictable season has been. :lol:

bhall II
bhall II

Phil wrote:The "best N results count"-system is not that uncommon you know - it's used in a few sports. It's also not that different from lets say Tennis, where a best-of-3 or best-of-5 [sets] is used. Doesn't matter how bad you lose a set, if you win both others in a best-of-3.

Scores were only dropped for the Drivers' Championship; the Constructors' Championship was as it is now.

I wouldn't mind seeing that system return, albeit somewhat tweaked.

If the Drivers' Championship discarded a driver's lowest and highest (two? three?) finishes, it would mitigate the effects of both poor reliability and races in which a particular package is so strong that a zygote could drive the winning car to victory. While obviously imperfect, such a system would make the Drivers' Championship more representative than it is today.

CHT
CHT

Joseki wrote:

Can easily be mistaken for 2016 standing lol

Neno
Neno

This is second year in row I didnt watch F1 for most of the time (specially second half of the season). Usually find results of GP's just to stay informed. Hell I maybe log on this forum 5x time this year. That's how big my interest is in current F1. Dont recall that happening since Schumacher Ferrari era. Like one user said. It become all about cars, better say constructors. Drivers doesnt matter anymore, unless his name is Maldonado and you know he will crash either way. Usually last two years most entertaining part of F1 is winter testing and this speculation over winter how car will look, what will be new aerodynamic devices etc. But even those starting become boring giving half of F1 teams is practically dead in terms of budget competitivnes. Not mention fact none can challenge Mercedes even in the unpredictable weather conditions. We are soon heading into third year of this **** so If I see by Australia another Mercedes easy win without one decent challenger after winter testing. I am probably again done and just waiting for new regs.

ojlopez
ojlopez

This season had some good fights, but they were in the mid field. In the lead, it was extremely boring. Mercedes complains the lack of coverage, but I don't think anybody wants to see Hamilton leading the race with no pressure from anybody. The real fun was way back, were you could see excellent battles.

dans79

CHT wrote:
Joseki wrote:

Can easily be mistaken for 2016 standing lol
I'd be very happy if that's the case!
197 104 103 7

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

? why

giantfan10
giantfan10

mclaren111 wrote:I hope Honda comes good next year [-o< Can't stand Mclaren not winning :(

I think Ferrari will be a lot better with all the "free" windtunnel testing they had this year !!

Hopefully engine sound is satisfactorily improved [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
U can thank the FIA for that free testing because they investigated and said their was no wrongdoing...now we have the stewards saying there was no weongdoing BUT going forward there will be restrictions for new teams....
Just mercedes trying to protect their lead...the damage has probably already been done though